Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I see it as he did what was sadly necessary.

Those who refuse to accept reality are those who die in zombie apocalypses for trying to find cures :P
    Either slaughter the citizens of Stratholme or face even worse consequences later for lack of action
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    O.o is kind of interesting how most of the people also agree that Arthas´s action were quite sadly the best one...

Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    he didnt cull anything i can walk into stratholme right now and the place will be swarmed with scourge (maby the baron will even drop my mount) :P
    He did, but after the cull the city was empty and was a perfect place for the scourge to create a base

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    O.o is kind of interesting how most of the people also agree that Arthas´s action were quite sadly the best one...

He did, but after the cull the city was empty and was a perfect place for the scourge to create a base
    ye ye ofc he massacred everybody, to what end? to make it a scourge stronghold himself

It's a morale grey zone, the better choice may of been to quarantein the city and seperate the infected from the uninfected. Did they have enough guards to do this at the time? Probably not, but its a better choice then killing unarmed women and children for what they may have eaten.

It was however the first step down a trecherous cliff which Arthas seemed to fling himself off of, burning his own boats, killing his own mercenaries, striking down muraden and taking a cursed blade regardless of the damage to his soul, only to ultimately strike down his own father and enslaving his entire cities population as the shambling undead.

Strathholm was the first tragic moment, so many innocent unarmed people dieing, that lead to one of the best written down falls of a hero in Wow history.

He killed infected people and he also killed INNOCENT people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas did what he thought to be right at the time. But in the end, it didn't make much difference.

Deleted
    Waiting for the people who'll call the Culling of Stratholm a major "war crime".

Jokes aside, the culling was 100% justified and for a good cause. They were already infected and there's no mass-cure for the Plague.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 03:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Should he wait until they turn into mindless scourge or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Waiting for the people who'll call the Culling of Stratholm a major "war crime".
    Stratholme was harboring Malganis Bin Dreadlord and had hidden weapons of Mass Scourgification.
    The Culling was a justified war.
    Andorhal/25 Never Forget
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I am very happy that hopyfully none of the people that posted here will get in the situation to take some similar decision.

the gray shades of Arthas is why people like his character. i'd do the same in his shoes. even as the LK, he wasn't bent on total destruction, because the LK is what keeps the mindless scourge in check.

Arthas = Anakin. Both killed innocents in their fall - for pretty much the same reason; to rid the world of young foes before they become stronger/harder to kill.

As horde, I'm glad humans are so frail. If it weren't for the Scourge, my priest would have to have been a troll or belf (bleh). Thank you Arthas! Sorry for having killed you so many times in ICC. My guild made me do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Paladins spent the entirety of Vanilla being cleanse (and buff) bots, and it never occured to Arthas to run around spamming cleanse?

Yep, he truly was a retnoob.
    The plague isn't healable that easily, Alexstrasza, the Emerald dream and even the Naru couldn't save crusader Bridenbrads life. All they could do was prevent him from turning into an zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    The culling was one of the biggest nails in Arthas' coffin. It was probably the right thing to do for the greater good of Lordaeron, but also helped to drive a noble paladin down a path that resulted in the creation of the Lich King, which you could argue is the worse outcome overall than letting Lordaeron be overrun.

Anyway, Arthas' fate was sealed long before the culling. The culling was just one stop on the road.
    No, the culling was the turning point. He did what he had to do as the scourge would've had an giant army right in Lordaeron at that very moment if he hadn't. It was the turning point because both his mentor and lover forsake him refusing to even lessen the burden or acknowledge that it was necessary. The scourge laid the trap but it was them who decided to turn their backs on him and leave him alone with the guilty and morale dillema of having to purge Stratholme.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    These people were infected, they would've died anyway and most of them turned even before he actually got to kill them. Would you let a little girl being infected with an virus that WILL wipe out all of humanity walk free just to be a "good person" when you know the consequences of your actions and that there is no cure?

Arthas had seen what the scourge could do and how the plague turned entire villages and so had Jaina for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    I am very happy that hopyfully none of the people that posted here will get in the situation to take some similar decision.
    So you'd let people with an virus able to kill all of humanity in an slow and agonizing death for which no cure exist walk free?

Deleted
    this is what medivh says to jaina in stratholme after the culling "the dead in this land might lie still for the time being, but dont be fooled" obviously implying that the culling was a complete bust and they will just rise as undead anyway (source wc3 cinematic)

10+ Year Old Account
    if anything it stalled the scourge by a day

it did nothing to stop them

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    But they dispised his plan even before he killed anyone. That's kind of what makes them the ones responsible for Arthas turning into the fallen hero we know him to be. They could've tried to stop him. They could've just stayed and tried to at least stop him from getting corrupted. So many ways, but the only thing they do is "yeah lol let's leave him he hurt our feelings".
    What would that have actually accomplished, though? Let's say they did physically restrain him or knock him unconscious; Stratholme's fate would have been the same and Arthas would just still have believed that he right in his decision and that they were fools for defying him.

Deleted
    Arthas didnt turn into anything after the culling... he didnt change at all. His transformation started by picking up Frostmourne.

Also, Jaina and Uther knew their right place. How they even dare to question their Prince? I'd let them be executed in a heartbeat for such treason.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Stratholme was harboring Malganis Bin Dreadlord and had hidden weapons of Mass Scourgification.
    The Culling was a justified war.
    Andorhal/25 Never Forget
    <3 yaya...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Arthas didnt turn into anything after the culling... he didnt change at all. His transformation started by picking up Frostmourne.

Also, Jaina and Uther knew their right place. How they even dare to question their Prince? I'd let them be executed in a heartbeat for such treason.

<3 yaya...
    he didnt change at all?oh so i guess ordering his own troops to kill the mercaneries he ordered himself to burn down those ships in northrend so that his troops couldnt be called back was just what anyone in their right mind would do. and this was before he picked up frostmourne. theres even some woman crying out "but ur supposed to be our prince" as shes getting cut down by one of arthas´s knights
    Last edited by mmoc122c1567f0; 2013-01-09 at 03:34 PM.

he didnt change at all?oh so i guess ordering his own troops to kill the mercaneries he ordered himself to burn down those ships in northrend so that his troops couldnt be called back was just what anyone in their right mind would do. and this was before he picked up frostmourne. theres even some woman crying out "but ur supposed to be our prince" as shes getting cut down by one of arthas´s knights
    Congratulations, you are that guy from zombie movies that gets eaten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Congratulations, you are that guy from zombie movies that gets eaten.
    thats ok ill make a comeback in the end of the movie and come for ya brainzzzz

Deleted
    And which of your points indicate that he totally changed his behavior after the culling? He could've been like this all the time, and he certainly believed in a good cause, if he didnt, he'd lose his Paladin powers.

And again, Stratholme was infected and had to be culled.. dont you see the big picture? All the citizen would be turned into undead scourge at one point.