Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    And which of your points indicate that he totally changed his behavior after the culling? He could've been like this all the time, and he certainly believed in a good cause, if he didnt, he'd lose his Paladin powers.

And again, Stratholme was infected and had to be culled.. dont you see the big picture? All the citizen would be turned into undead scourge at one point.
    i believe culling stratholme was the turning point where arthas kinda lost it and became more about vengeance towards malganis picking up frostmourne just finally sealed the loss of his soul. and again im gonna quote medivh "the dead in this land may lie still for the moment being, but dont be fooled" obviously implying that they will be raised as undead anyway no matter how hard arthas tryed and believed his actions were right

These people were infected, they would've died anyway and most of them turned even before he actually got to kill them. Would you let a little girl being infected with an virus that WILL wipe out all of humanity walk free just to be a "good person" when you know the consequences of your actions and that there is no cure?
    He cut off the entire village and slaugthered everyone there. By innocent I mean uninfected people. He killed them all without considering that there may have been a way to seperate people who were uninfected away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    He cut off the entire village and slaugthered everyone there. By innocent I mean uninfected people. He killed them all without considering that there may have been a way to seperate people who were uninfected away.
    I'm sure he considered it, but there wasn't time for that. Hesitation would've lead to possible failure.

Especially in Warcraft3 where, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Mal'ganis was actively harvesting the undead, so it was even more a race against the clock/antagonist.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I'm sure he considered it, but there wasn't time for that. Hesitation would've lead to possible failure.

Especially in Warcraft3 where, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Mal'ganis was actively harvesting the undead, so it was even more a race against the clock/antagonist.
    If it was Uther who made the decision then I am sure he would be a lot calmer and there may have been atleast 1 life left that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    If it was Uther who made the decision then I am sure he would be a lot calmer and there may have been atleast 1 life left that day.
    1 life is not much, you can call it moral victory, but in the end worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You like to wage war on concepts of morality but seem to have a strawman idea of what morality is Verdugo.

There wasn't any time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I disagree. 1 life is really valuable, more so than any amount of gold. 1 life can have real impact on the world.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    The issue with Culling of Stratholme is that the story that plays out in the instance isn't quite the same as the one in Warcraft 3. In Warcraft 3, Mal'ganis was directly harvesting the infected townsfolk, and so killing them had nothing to do with relieving their suffering but rather preventing them from being used to bolster the enemy's forces. It was only partially about preventing the spread of the infection beyond the city. That was an important part, yes, but there was a direct antagonism and a race to purge the city in the Warcraft 3 version that isn't present in the WoW version. The eagerness to which you as the player have to engage in the slaughter of the citizens has a huge impact on how the morality of the situation feels.
    this is a good point and id like to add that while every building you destroyed in wc3 spawned zombies one could argue that not everyone in stratholme was infected by the plague. we only assume that everyone arthas killed was infected but in reality we dont really know for sure. at least thats the way i look at it. i dont think ive read anywhere or its been confirmed that just because you were in stratholme doesnt necessarily mean you had eaten any of the plague

edit : id just like to point out while i feel like it was a brutal act, it was a necessary evil. just my .02

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    this is a good point and id like to add that while every building you destroyed in wc3 spawned zombies one could argue that not everyone in stratholme was infected by the plague. we only assume that everyone arthas killed was infected but in reality we dont really know for sure. at least thats the way i look at it. i dont think ive read anywhere or its been confirmed that just because you were in stratholme doesnt necessarily mean you had eaten any of the plague

edit : id just like to point out while i feel like it was a brutal act, it was a necessary evil. just my .02
    while it may have not be exactly recorded that everyone in the city was infected with the plague i would think its pretty safe to assume that everyone who lived in the city ate food made from the infected grain supply

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    while it may have not be exactly recorded that everyone in the city was infected with the plague i would think its pretty safe to assume that everyone who lived in the city ate food made from the infected grain supply
    What about people who were friends of mages? Them conjured biscuits wouldn't have been infected.

Lets ask this: If you guys were in Arthas' shoes just outside the gate of Stratholme, what would you do?

And don't let the outcome be allowing Lordaeron to be overrun by the undead...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Lets ask this: If you guys were in Arthas' shoes just outside the gate of Stratholme, what would you do?

And don't let the outcome be allowing Lordaeron to be overrun by the undead...
    Have Jaina to iceblock the entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Have Jaina to iceblock the entire city.
    Jaina was not strong enough. Even if she was, Mal'Ganis would've probably broken it open somehow. And Jaina cannot iceblock an entire city long enough for Arthas to find a cure

10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas was 100% right. Uther was just a pussy. He stood around doing nothing, but he kept true to the Light and his hands stayed clean, congrats on that, Uther. Sometimes there's no right choice. Sometimes you have to choose between horrible and gruesome, and Arthas did that the best way - without hesitation.

The culling of stratholme was a neccisary evil. It wasn't the worst thing Arthas did, but it was the start of his descent into darkness.

Arthas did what had to be done, it is regretful many innocents died, but the horrors Mal'ganis had unleashed would have most likely overwhelmed Lordaeron far sooner, making an escape utterly impossible, meaning no humans on kalimdor which is pretty much game over legion won.