Looking for help with my raid HDDs....

Now I dont know a ton about how computers work but I know that I have two raid hard drives in my system and how they work together and all that good stuff. But one of them is failing and its causing serious pauses in my gaming web browsing and just all around irritating me. So I need help making so Im only using one, I know Ill lose half the space but thats not an issue at all I just dont know how to do it. Is there anyone out there that could give me the steps I need to take to bypass the bad drive and set it up so Im only using the good one?

15+ Year Old Account
    you need to find out what type of raid they are.

if they're raid0, you can't split them because half the data is stored on each drive

if they're raid1, you should be able to split them but i've never tried to split a raid1 array into a single disk

most likely, they're raid0
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    As was said, if its RAID-0 you're out of luck since that's not REALLY a RAID (no redundancy). What's more, we dont know if the RAID is controlled by software or hardware, and if the former if its at the OS level or a third party program.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    As was said, if its RAID-0 you're out of luck since that's not REALLY a RAID (no redundancy).
    RAID-0 is still a RAID.

If it's RAID-0
    1) Transfer the data to a third drive, and use that (Either ghost, or reinstall windows and transfer important data)
    2) Transfer the data to a third drive, break the raid, wipe the good drive, and transfer the data back (Either ghost, or reinstall windows and transfer important data)
    3) Say F-it, break the raid, lose all data, and just start over from scratch and reinstall windows on the good drive

If it's RAID-1
    1) Transfer the data to a third drive, and use that (Either ghost, or reinstall windows and transfer important data)
    2) Transfer the data to a third drive, break the raid, wipe the good drive, and transfer the data back (Either ghost, or reinstall windows and transfer important data)
    3) You should be able to just shut the system down, remove the bad drive, replace it with a good similar drive, and let the raid rebuild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    RAID-0 is still a RAID.
    RAID stands for redundant array of inexpensive disks. No redundancy, no raid. Which is in fact what the zero in "RAID level 0" means.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    RAID stands for redundant array of inexpensive disks. No redundancy, no raid. Which is in fact what the zero in "RAID level 0" means.
    Again, you're ignoring actual technical terms for language semantics.

You still need a RAID controller, and multiple drives in a RAID array, to use RAID-0. It's a RAID. Period. Saying what you're saying serves no purpose but to confuse for no reason.

Just because it has "0" redundancy does not make it not a RAID.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, you're ignoring actual technical terms for language semantics.

You still need a RAID controller, and multiple drives in a RAID array, to use RAID-0. It's a RAID. Period. Saying what you're saying serves no purpose but to confuse for no reason.
    Yes... there is no reason for people to know what RAID means. Then when the complain that they lost data despite having a RAID-0 they wont come complaining to me. Oh wait, they do.

RAID-0 is just an AID, it has no R.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes... there is no reason for people to know what RAID means. Then when the complain that they lost data despite having a RAID-0 they wont come complaining to me. Oh wait, they do.

RAID-0 is just an AID, it has no R.
    RAID-0 is a RAID with no redundancy. Please stop arguing this point. You are wrong.

Understanding what RAID means, and how it functions IS important, sure. However nobody complained -to you-. You voluntarily posted. If you don't have anything useful to say, then don't post inane, and incorrect information.

10+ Year Old Account
    RAID-0 is a RAID with no redundancy. Please stop arguing this point. You are wrong.
    So it's a redundant array, without redundancy? Sorry for thinking words should mean something. You have my deepest apologizes for following the original RAID specifications and not the junk added later to satisfy people like yourself.

Look its in the NAME. RAID-0, raid level NOT. It is not a RAID, it is in fact the antithesis of RAID. Just because its supported off of a RAID controller and is in the RAID standard does not mean it is a RAID. Just like a JBOD or a single drive is not a RAID. The intention of the naming convention was to tell people that this was not a RAID, I cant help it if the terminology has become muddled over time.

There is not even an official definition of RAID-0 that says it needs to be stripped across the drives. The RAID levels are setup as 1 and above with everything else being 0, including a single drive. It has become common nomenclature that a RAID-0 is two or more stripped drives to increase performance, but that is not a RAID as it has no redundancy. The term is still Redundant Array of Independent Drives. You cant take away the redundant part and still have a RAID.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-01-08 at 09:17 PM.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    RAID0 is RAID. regardless of if it has redundancy or not, it's still a type of RAID array. If it weren't, it'd be called MDEHPOTI (multiple disks each holding part of the information; i know, creative right?)

neither of you are helping the OP. if you want to argue, do it in PM's
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right