1. #1

    Question Final Rig ~ Just a few days left to buy ~ Please tell me what you think :)

    Hello,

    I am planning on building a new pc for the first time and after a lot of research this is what I've come up with

    1.CASE
    AEROCOOL XPREDATOR EVIL BLACK EDITION

    2.CPU
    INTEL CORE I5-3570K 3.40GHZ

    3.RAM
    CORSAIR CML8GX3M2A1600C9 VENGEANCE LP 8GB (2X4GB)

    4.SSD
    OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-256G VERTEX 4 2.5'' SSD 256GB SATA III

    5.MOTHERBOARD
    ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4

    6.POWER SUPPLY
    ANTEC EA-650 PLATINUM 650W

    7.GPU
    ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 2GB GDDR5
    OR
    Asus Nvidia GTX 650 TI (1GB, DDR5, 128 Bit)

    So tell me what you think (specially about the Gpu's planning to O/C everything)
    Thanks

  2. #2
    I'm not so sure about that case but that is more of a personal preference.

    What games are you going to play and at what settings/resolution?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  3. #3
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,357
    Looks like an okay build, go with the GTX660 (depends on your games/resolution though). Don't forget an aftermarket CPU heat sink if you intend to overclock. You can get something decent for around $20 Xigmatek Gaia
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2014 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

  4. #4
    Uhm.. Is the reason purely aesthetics? or is it something else (about the case) ?

    I dont know RTS/FPS/MMO/L2 something like that I guess..Need the card for 3d max/photoshop and other similar programms

  5. #5
    The Patient Wrestler10307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    290
    If I were you, I'd spend a little more and get a 660 TI, I got this one from MSI and couldn't be happier with it. Everything else looks just fine.

    Edit: Also, check out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099 for a CPU cooler
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

  6. #6
    Also the resolution i think is arround 1680x1050

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 12:57 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Don't forget an aftermarket CPU heat sink if you intend to overclock.[/URL]
    In due time.When my budget allows it

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Asixtiris View Post
    Uhm.. Is the reason purely aesthetics? or is it something else (about the case) ?
    Just ignore that comment, it was based on some reviews and the price of the case but looking around it seems like the price wasn't as bad as I thought.
    Cases are mostly down to personal taste anyway.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  8. #8
    You could opt for the almost as cheap Fractal Core 3000, well infact it will depend on your location. If you're based in the UK both cases are similarly priced but the Fractal should be easier to work with.

  9. #9
    Drop the SSD, get a standard 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, and spend the extra money on a better gpu. SSDs are a luxury for when you have extra money to spare.

    Also, your PSU is overkill. 500W would suffice. Make sure the PSU you get is at least bronze certified.

  10. #10
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,561
    Dislike the GPU choices; The GTX 650 Ti is sub-par on so many levels, and I'd spring for the GTX 660 Ti over the GTX 660, or go for an HD7870 or HD7850 instead, perhaps.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Just ignore that comment, it was based on some reviews and the price of the case but looking around it seems like the price wasn't as bad as I thought.
    Cases are mostly down to personal taste anyway.
    I thought so too but then it is water cooling ready, and there are many fans supported too and the construction material is not that bad after all. I live in greece (EU) and I can find it at around 150euro.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 12:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sighsigh View Post
    Drop the SSD, get a standard 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, and spend the extra money on a better gpu. SSDs are a luxury for when you have extra money to spare.

    Also, your PSU is overkill. 500W would suffice. Make sure the PSU you get is at least bronze certified.
    I will have to disagree with you on the ssd because it provides lightning fast speeds compared to an hdd and if i settled on just one hdd i would probably end up bottlenecking my gpu and/or cpu. I went with this because i'm planing to add an hdd when i get enough money and i will probably set them to raid 0 so that the ssd will be used as the cashe memory of the hdd. as for the psu it is platinum and rated to give approximately 93% of the total supply. I chose 650w because i have hopes of getting a second gpu in due time, in order to go for sli so i will definately need a whole lot more power. finaly, I need the pc for a variety of applications both heavy and light (games/3d rendering/photoshop etc) but I think that getting a gpu more than 250euro is overkill because i dont really want to hook up 3 or more screens to the pc for games. the most that the pc will be tackling is a 37"tv screen or 2 22" monitors and given that i am currently using the later on a geforce 7600 gt and works perfectly (even for a light-medium game as age of mythology (i tested on that because it's the only one that my cpu can handle on dual screens :P)) i suppose that a gtx 660 will be just enough. I am considering the Ti version too but the price margin is big. approx. 52 euro (245 -> 660 297 -> 660 Ti ) so I dont think thats gonna happen but its a possibility.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 01:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Dislike the GPU choices; The GTX 650 Ti is sub-par on so many levels, and I'd spring for the GTX 660 Ti over the GTX 660, or go for an HD7870 or HD7850 instead, perhaps.
    Uhm..I know that it's in greek ---> http://www.you.gr/b2c_iqshop/catalog...OTHER_CONNECT= but just check out the names and the prices to see for yourself. It's
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 660 TI (2GB, DDR5, 192Bit) for 297Euro
    Asus Nvidia GTX 660 TI TOP (2GB, DDR5, 192BIT) for 360Euro
    Asus Nvdia GTX 660 TI (2GB, DDR5, 192Bit) for 312,90Euro
    Gigabyte GTX 660 TI (3GB, DDR5, 192Bit) for 363,93Euro
    And theese are the lowest prices that i have found in greece and i don't really want to buy it from abroad because it takes a very long time for it to arrive and in case it's dead on arrival it will frustrate me because i'll have to wait double or triple the time in order to RMA it and meanwhile i will not be able to use the pc.

    EDIT: also i have ruled out ATI cards because I will probably need the CUDA that nVidia provides.
    Last edited by Asixtiris; 2013-01-09 at 11:08 AM.

  12. #12
    1680x1050 is really low resolution for any serious photoshopping or 3d modeling. Would drop the SSD into 120GB model (and maybe get cheaper PSU) and try to fit new 1920x1080 monitor into the budget instead. You can find 21-23" monitors for around 120€ already and it will increase productivity significantly when you can see more stuff and spread palettes and other open programs across multiple monitors.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    1680x1050 is really low resolution for any serious photoshopping or 3d modeling. Would drop the SSD into 120GB model (and maybe get cheaper PSU) and try to fit new 1920x1080 monitor into the budget instead. You can find 21-23" monitors for around 120€ already and it will increase productivity significantly when you can see more stuff and spread palettes and other open programs across multiple monitors.
    I don't think that workspace is really that much of a problem because 2x22" monitors on 1680x1050 is actually 3360x2100 so that is a whole lot of space plus I can zoom in or out so this does not pose a serious problem, at least not one that cannot be solved without me spending any additional money. And then again, there is the 37" TV :P. Also I started out thinking of buying an 120gb ssd but then this is not a lot of space, it's approx. 100 gigs after i install the OS (probably Win7 and Linux) so it is not worth it. Plus the fact that I can't really find a cheaper PSU with 80+Gold at least and I don't feel like throwing the OVP/UVP/SCP and 80+platinum away. I too thought of degrading some of the comp's but I don't think that the PSU is an ideal comp to do that 'cause it's what gives life to the pc and I dont want to take my chances with that, and go ahead and buy a crappy PSU.

  14. #14
    I was going to offer advice, but all the advice I would offer has already been offered and shot down. You shoot down every bit of good advice given and it makes me wonder if you really want advice, or just confirmation that what you have done its right.

    What you have looks decent enough and will probably accomplish what you want decently-ish.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I was going to offer advice, but all the advice I would offer has already been offered and shot down. You shoot down every bit of good advice given and it makes me wonder if you really want advice, or just confirmation that what you have done its right.

    What you have looks decent enough and will probably accomplish what you want decently-ish.
    It's a little bit of both I suppose but I guess that's how it is supposed to be for me at this point given that I am so close to buy the actual thing. I should be totaly aware of the pro's and con's of the build, shouldn't I? I posted this thread in order to find out whether or not there is something that I have overlooked. So please do not take this the wrong way If you have a suggestion and a reason to go with it please let me know thanks

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Asixtiris View Post
    I don't think that workspace is really that much of a problem because 2x22" monitors on 1680x1050 is actually 3360x2100 so that is a whole lot of space plus I can zoom in or out so this does not pose a serious problem, at least not one that cannot b
    You are wrong there, it is either 3360x1050 or 1680x2100. You would need 4 screens for 3360x2100.

    Also, you can just drop down to a silver rated PSU. Just get a corsair tx 650 with bronze or something rating. Just because its not platinum doesnt mean its bad or wont run 2x gpus.

    Or drop down to 120-130 GB SSD, get a 660ti. And save some money for an extra HDD, those are all possibilities.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You are wrong there, it is either 3360x1050 or 1680x2100. You would need 4 screens for 3360x2100.

    Also, you can just drop down to a silver rated PSU. Just get a corsair tx 650 with bronze or something rating. Just because its not platinum doesnt mean its bad or wont run 2x gpus.

    Or drop down to 120-130 GB SSD, get a 660ti. And save some money for an extra HDD, those are all possibilities.
    Yes you are right thats a silly mistake of mine :P

    About the the PSU I know that, but dropping from platinum to bronze or so, means dropping from 93% efficiency down to around 85%. Given the new percentage, shouldn't I up the voltage? because the gtx 660ti uses 150w which is 10w (GPUx2 20w) max acording to this --> http://www.hwcompare.com/13296/gefor...ce-gtx-660-ti/ so should I get something like 700w with silver at least or 750 with bronze or something else?

    EDIT: the screens are gonna be in horizontal array so approx. @ 1680x2100 thanks for the correction mate!
    Last edited by Asixtiris; 2013-01-10 at 09:06 AM.

  18. #18
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,561
    450w for a single GTX 660 Ti is more than fine with headroom.
    450w bronze can deliver 450w, 450w platinum can deliver 450w.

    What's efficiency then? Taking your numbers arbitrarily at 85% and 93%, the bronze would have to pull 530w from the wall to deliver those 450w - wheras the platinum would only have to pull 484w to deliver 450w. That's efficiency.
    In other words, 450-650w is so far ahead of what you need, you should be fine.
    (for reference, my quite overclocked i5 and quite overclocked GTX 680 pulls 319 from the wall during load-testing, meaning 272w internally (80+ non-bronze))

  19. #19
    I guess I had it down wrong, and thus platinum will lower my electricity bill a little but will otherwise have no impact on the actual output.Thanks for the clarification mate

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •