Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    mist of pandaria expansion? I do not see how that discredits anything. besides someone said something bad about Your precious
    You'll like a plague calling it "mope". The other guy started it and it's spreading.
    I really don't care what you think of the expansion.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

WoW will only end when ppl isnt playing it anymore if in 10 years time the playerbase is still like 5 million oor so itll still be damm lucrative to invest in the game for Blizzard, but if the playerbase dwindle and go down too much to the point investing all the resources they do on the game stop beeing profitable theyll just stop expanding the game and eventualy itll die off.

as long as wow makes money they will keep make stuff and remaking the story to fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarranLB View Post
    Doesn't mean we wouldnt go there anyway. And really, your whole adding an E at the end of MOP.... I highly doubt you type "WotLKe"... so.. sorry that cover up failed?
    I do type WOTLKE. The emerald dream is our world but untouched by mortals doubt they will revisit it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 05:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    You'll like a plague calling it "mope". The other guy started it and it's spreading.
    I really don't care what you think of the expansion.
    You'll like a plague? or You're like a plague ? Rather confused on what you are trying to say there. either way no reason to get up about what someone chooses to call the Xpac. The zealots/faboys needs to learn what tolerance is.
    Last edited by But I Hate You All; 2013-01-09 at 02:02 AM.

Also the whole after killing Sargeras there wont be anythign stronger to figth thing is pretty relative, the Lich King was retardedly powerfull, probably way more powerfull tham the Thunder King who we gona fight on the next xpac, Algalon was probably more powerfull tham the LK and pretty much everythign else we fought so far and Anubarack as a boss on a tier after him and Anubarack while pretty powerfull and stuf cant hold a candle against Algalon, heck C`thun was an old god Deathwing isnt as strong as he was and that was lv 60. Cho Gal is not stronger tham Yogg Saron either. And those are just some examples.

Its just new content realy the whole big bad A is too powerfull nothign could trumph that argument dont realy hold in a videogame word cause you can simply go and make a fight super hard for another boss, as hard or harder tham Sargeras fight and them he becomes more powerfull in game terms even if he isnt lorewise.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    Wow won't end, it will simply be replaced, by another blizzard game, such as titan. The game has to end sometime, and when it does it does NBD IMO.
    Contraction at its finest?:P

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 02:10 AM ----------

You'll like a plague? or You're like a plague ? Rather confused on what you are trying to say there. either way no reason to get up about what someone chooses to call the Xpac. The zealots/faboys needs to learn what tolerance is.
    Calling someone a Fanboy while being a Grammar Nazi? Shameful sir, shameful!:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post

Calling someone a Fanboy while being a Grammar Nazi? Shameful sir, shameful!:P
    Calling like I see it and I was not being a Grammar Nazi. I just trying to figure out what he was trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    2. Bring the story to an end on their own terms.

Note that this is the same company that allowed huge franchises like Starcraft and Diablo to take long hiatuses (close to a decade each) before releasing new sequels and it's been about a decade since we've had a Warcraft RTS.

I could absolutely see blizzard putting WoW into F2P mode in 2 expansions and letting the franchise take a decade off while they wait for new technology and ideas before making "WoW2"
    Here's a timeline of Blizzard's games from their three primary IPs (Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo):

1994 - Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
    1995 - Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
    1996 - Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
    1996 - Diablo
    1998 - StarCraft
    1998 - Starcraft: Brood War
    2000 - Diablo II
    2001 - Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
    2002 - Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
    2003 - Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
    2004 - World of Warcraft
    2007 - World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    2008 - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
    2010 - StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
    2010 - World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    2012 - Diablo III
    2012 - World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria

The large hiatus for Starcraft and Diablo was mainly due to the development of their other games, primarily the Warcraft IP. The Warcraft IP is most likely the most profitable which resulted in shelving Starcraft and Diablo in favor of Warcraft IP, WoW in particular.

Seeing as how WoW is Blizzard's primary cash chow, I doubt they'll let it lapse without replacing it first. Both Starcraft and Diablo IPs don't seem to have nearly as much value as World of Warcraft. Unless Blizzard can turn this around, WoW won't be decommissioned (into F2P) until SC/Diablo have been boosted or Titan becomes a success.

Even if the Warcraft line becomes decomissioned, it will probably pop back every decade or so to earn Blizzard some nostalgia sales.

I see people making the 100 argument ALL the time!!! Ghostcrawler said in a bluepost before MoP that 100 is only a number and they could easily implement the item squish like they were planning to in MoP. So there you go problem solved! And also I don't see Sag as the biggest baddie the Old Gods are; once we start killing Old Gods then I think everything else we can one shot !

Deleted
    WoW will become free to play (!= "die") the day Titan goes live. By that time, people have moved on to other fantasy games, other MMORPGs, [EDIT: other grindy games (people love mindless grinds: see Farmville),] and have been playing Titan beta. It doesn't matter how many expansions there are remaining because that is the denominator which decides when WoW is phased out. Also, whatever WoW's last expansion is going to be, I don't expect it to be the permanent end of the Warcraft universe.

Currently Blizzard's triple pillars are: WoW, SC2, D3 and all 3 are profitable. Nobody in their right mind is going to kill off their old cash cow before their new cash cow is ready. Nobody wants an "Elop effect". Google the term if you're unfamiliar with it. In february 2011, new Nokia CEO Stephon Elop declared in a leaked, internal memo his 2 current platforms and profitable pillars a "burning platform" (= dead) in favor of a replacement which was far from production ready. What happened then? Android.

Blizzard isn't this stupid. As long as WoW is profitable and they don't have an alternative on their own (Titan), they'll keep it alive, and in the meanwhile they are working in silence on a cash cow to replace it. The reason you don't hear much about Titan is also because they don't want people to think about WoW ending. They want to migrate those MMORPG players to a their new MMORPG. Btw I can guarantee you their new MMORPG is going to be mobile-friendly, and will contain microtransactions [EDIT: Think of Diablo 3 as a microtransaction experiment]. I wouldn't even be surprised if Titan is going to be a Warcraft-based franchise. Yes, they said it'd be a completely new universe. Wasn't it Tom Chilton who said we shouldn't look too much into the name "Mists of Pandaria" when it leaked because Blizzard registered that domain name and trademark? If it would be known today Titan is going to be WoW on steroids it would mean a lot of people would quit playing WoW.
    Last edited by mmoc41a7fbf474; 2013-01-09 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    End ? Have you ever heard of http://uo.com/ ???
    Posted by Bonnie Armstrong | 2012 Dec 17 16:20 -0500 GMT
    Due to issues beyond our control, I am sorry to have to inform all of Atlantic that we had to revert to a Dec 5, 2012 7:00 am EST back up. We have tried to retrieve a more current back up but we have been unable to do so due to corruption issues. We are very sorry this has happened and any Atlantic player that is being impacted by this revert will be compensated with 30 days free game time.

15 years i remember seeing it like 10 years ago, but could u imagine a 12 day rollback on wow.....the shitstorm ...words cannot discribe such a shitstorm would be like a nuke going off, it would make error 37 look like a couple of flees having a light your fart competition

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW will end when it stops giving Blizzard a reasonable profit.

Which is probably not for a long time from now. Expect to see several expansions in the next ten years.

I think 100 was as far as they planned, not necessarily where WoW was ending. Just like the Mayan calendar thing was as far as the Mayans planned, not a prophecy for the end of the world.
    Putin khuliyo

emerald dream was finished in stormrage
    False. The Nightmare was pushed back to the Rift of Aln, where Malfurion was unable to cleanse its taint. Furthermore, in Cataclysm, the Nightmare begins to not only regain strength, but to pour into the Barrens through the Overgrowth and the Wailing Caverns.

Stormrage's entire purpose was to bring Malfurion out of the Dream and to delay the threat of the Nightmare, not to eliminate it.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Be pretty hilarious if Blizzard just shut down the servers after Level 100 and said, "Whelp, you beat Sargeras. We're all out of content. So long everyone, stop giving us money" though wouldn't it? Best troll of all time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Posted by Bonnie Armstrong | 2012 Dec 17 16:20 -0500 GMT
    Due to issues beyond our control, I am sorry to have to inform all of Atlantic that we had to revert to a Dec 5, 2012 7:00 am EST back up. We have tried to retrieve a more current back up but we have been unable to do so due to corruption issues. We are very sorry this has happened and any Atlantic player that is being impacted by this revert will be compensated with 30 days free game time.

15 years i remember seeing it like 10 years ago, but could u imagine a 12 day rollback on wow.....the shitstorm ...words cannot discribe such a shitstorm would be like a nuke going off, it would make error 37 look like a couple of flees having a light your fart competition
    They probably have so little activity they don't have to make many backups (compare to WoW where Blizzard optimize their databases every tuesday/wednesday during heavy activity). Also, their profit margins are likely so low it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on migrating the system to more modern hardware. To underline your point: UO is on life support. Call it maintenance mode if you will (and that's what I meant with "!= die").

Then again, so is SWTOR. The new expansion is very minor content and simply breeds the game new life with a small grind. The 2-tier model is there because the subs provide a stable income, but it isn't enough (and declining!) to warrant a big investment. On top of that the game is technically bad programmed (laggy as fuck), does not allow mods (no addons either), does not allow macros, has a shitload of useless abilities, and the choice-based RPG videos simply don't work well in a MMO environment (they're fine single player).

I would've loved to mention more about mobile gaming (think: metagames like pet battles on your mobile phone) and how the wow remote application was an experiment in this direction but I'm out of time.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 05:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Be pretty hilarious if Blizzard just shut down the servers after Level 100 and said, "Whelp, you beat Sargeras. We're all out of content. So long everyone, stop giving us money" though wouldn't it? Best troll of all time.
    A migration to free to play wouldn't go from 1 day to another. Same with WoW stopping. Games are slowly phased out. Heck, think of the people who just paid for a year sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If they'd raised the level cap by 10 in Cata and MoP like in BC and Wrath we'd be level 100 already. It's just a number.

Of course, 2 more expansions would mean what, 4 more years? Making WoW 12 years old plus. It would be impressive if it's still running strong by then... but then again WoW is already unprecedented in gaming history. So who really knows?
    There's MMOs out there that have been running for longer already. See Everquest and Ultima Online.

If they keep putting out stuff like Cata and Mope I could see it being dead in 2 xpacs
    dude, you're like 40... stop trolling people.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

Deleted
    Must be the same kind of people that claimed the world would end in the year 2000.

WoW won't end and won't be replaced by anything in the foreseeable future. The damn thing has 10 million subscribers. It really doesn't matter that half are "Chinese" and they don't have a monthly fee. Even if it starts to decline 1 million per year, it still has a long long long way to go until it becomes not worthy economically. But we all know that, ignoring the deranged people's brains that imagine WoW dying since 2005, the reality shows there is no decline of that magnitude. So it's a really really really long time until it will lose enough players to really matter.

But even so, who says they have to close it even if there are only a couple of hundred thousands players? They don't. Sure they won't make any new big expansions, sure they won't be keeping the current monthly fee, but oh boy there are enough ways of making some profit with minimum effort (low number of servers, game in maintenance mode, small team...)

As for Titan, just no. Not even if the business decisions of Blizzard-Activision are redirected to the most retarded ape on the planet, that retarded ape will NOT close the most profitable game in the galaxy for WHAT?

So yeah, it's stupid to consider now that WoW will end anytime soon...

Deleted
    Blizzard will keep pumping expansions as long as people keep playing. All their blue posts have literally said that, even ghostcrawler.

So no, I don't see WoW ending within the next decade. Even though things can always rapidly change, we'll have to wait and see :P