Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #101
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz80 View Post
    I do think that whenever they put in the Sargeras battle that will be the last of major content for WoW. That said, people will still be playing WoW after that point. I mean people still play Everquest and it's like 12-13 years old now.
    has blizzard ever stated that sargeras would be wow's endboss? or did they ever mention that they see him as the greatest villain in wow?
    actually: no! its just the community who thinks hes the endboss because hes probably the strongest being in the warcraft universe, but raw power isnt enough to make a good endboss!

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 12:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    WOAH woah woah, who only pays 9 bucks a month? i pay 15$.
    he probably doesnt know about the 15 dollars because his parents are paying for him! hehehe

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 01:01 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Samakuro View Post
    Erm...are you sure we're playing the same game or am I missing something? Hit max level in a week? And stranger than that, start raiding the same day? Even if you mean LFR, which isn't real raiding anyways, you can't queue LFR the same day you hit max level because of the item level requirement.
    this guy knows his wow! i totally hate those silly posters who throw around some silly false facts and act like they are the boss in the thread^^

  2. #102
    I'm also a believer in the 2 expansions, max level 100, and its over.

    I do believe however, Blizzard will release one more expansion after this but it won't be level based, it'll be Item Level based, all progression will be based on item level tiers, finally ending in every item in slot being legendary. There will also probably be two novelty races, and a new class. Plus some amazing raids.

    From there with the focus being on Titan, but wow still popular and many fans, still playing, although most will leave for Titan or quit in general. Blizzard will release digital downloads for new classes, specs, races. They'll probably be $25 each. Pretty pricey when compared to the price of an entire expansion, but with players starved for new content on their favorite game who knows.

    Blizzard will probably save a few features for when WoW dies to bring life to it again, .... like player housing, demon hunter, bard

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    On these forums I hear many people say things such as:
    - blizzar only evar said that wow would go up to level 100 then it would end!
    - when we fight sargaras then wow will end :O~~
    - thar is only enouf content for 2 more expacs max then wow will end
    - WoW uses an old engine is looking dated so it must end soon

    No, no, no, no. What exactly is it you think Blizzard will do? Run out of ideas and close the servers? Do you think they are incapable of upgrading their engine?

    "Sorry all 10 million of our subscribers, many of you paying $8.99 per month, we've run out of ideas and are incompetent, go play something else".

    Blizzard will continue to invent storyline (like MoP), and continue to make major changes to the game well into the future, even if they "only" have 1 million subscribers left.

    There is nothing stopping them moving the entire game to a new engine and carrying across all of their art assets. Or even making a major change such as scrapping the levelling system. Or even making the entire thing more like Guild Wars 2.

    WoW will continue on far into the future. I would be surprised if it isn't still going on in 15 years time.

    UO is still going strong and look how old that is.
    Just because some random people on the interwebz say that WoW will end in 2 expansions does not make it true. Nor does that mean that the majority of WoW players are saying or believing that too.

    Random made up quotes also doesn't mean anything either.

    However, there is some decent credence to ending WoW while it is declining to pump up their next gen game, whatever or whenever Titan comes to light. To say that WoW will continue to be going strong in 15 years. Pure and unfounded speculation.

    Add that to say that UO is still going strong? 100k or less, while not necessarily small. It's definitely not strong.

  4. #104
    To end it all:

    Which one of YOU guys would give up an activity that creates 1.2 BILLION dollars revenue PER year ?

    Ok. Even IF you would be tired of this activity (or it would just be 10% of that amount after X years) ... how many others would want to have it ?

    Discussion closed.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I don't know how much they got right now but they started with 2 million. The problem with SWTOR is you cannot count the amount of microtransactions and free players. I think its less than 1 million, and it kinda also improves how quick a game can lose market share without new influx of players.

    Also: learn to quote.
    You can't compare SWTOR's subscriptions with WoW's subscriptions due to the new F2P model with microtransactions, what I meant is before SWTOR went F2P its subscriptions were nowhere near 1 million. The 'new influx of players' argument makes sense for SWTOR because it was a new game and it needed a playerbase, on the otherhand WoW already has a well-established fanbase and it's generating tons of revenue, and thus it doesn't need the 'new influx of players'. (Not that it's not getting new players, there are new WoW players every expansion)

    Also: What's wrong with my responses being inside your quote? Was it not readable enough? I bolded my responses to for easier reading.
    | Signature by Khallie |

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    WoW will end for multiple of reasons... one being Titan, can't own 2 MMO's and have them both succeed, one or the other will leach... PvP is total trash and at this rate blizzard will lose their whole PvP community... They're not even taking risks or jumps in the MMO-RPG genre... they're playing it safe and doing the same thing over and over and their only strategy to keep you playing if you get bored is with stupid gimicks such as pet battles. WoW is dying and blizzard is aware of it... every expansion from here on out will continue to lose subs... it's been that way since cataclysm and things still haven't changed.
    Except you missed the part where Blizzard has confirmed that it is a different type of game geared for different typ of players that is mean to co exist along side WoW like Diablo and SC.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 02:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    This isn't necessarily true. We don't know what Titan is specifically. We know it's an MMO, but we don't know if it's an MMORPG or a different kind of MMO. We also don't know what it's storyline/theme is. We don't know that they have the same target market. We don't even know if Titan is going to be pay to play or if they are going to try different methods (like allowing people to spend real money in game the way they can in D3.)

    In fact, Blizzard's CEO even stated that the 2 titles would co-exist at the same time.

    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/0...lizzard-title/
    Also even if it is an MMO RPG that doesn't exclude it from being a shooter. Planetside, Tabula Rasa, and the Borderlands are examples of Shooter RPGs, and two of them were/are MMOs.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 02:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    it seems to me that you don't quite understand the arguments that you are citing...
    as for the old engine, that is an argument that the game will need to be COMPLETELY overhauled at some point in the future before it gets too big to support itself on its engine
    and mainly the fighting sargaras thing, that would have to be the end simply because of one reason. that is the baddest mofo in the entire universe, if we can tangle with him and come out on top then anything else would end up being a huge let down.

    It's kinda like what a lot of fans of Bleach have experienced with the past two arcs. you start out building up your lore to make someone into the biggest problem in the universe, he has the power level of god essentially and you finally take him down. then a random nobody shows up that is somehow even more of a problem than the last guy, you must explain why they were not there in the first place, and why they just now showed up and just now became a problem and also how he is worse than the last guy. and after he's done someone new shows up that also had no previous mention and they are an even bigger baddy! this kind of story telling generally ends a series due to fans losing interest in it.(sometimes the author actually makes this type of story intentionally so they can stop the series when their producers will not let them)

    also no one said that once the story stops blizz will close everything down. that will not happen untill blizz wants to move on to something else and decide to pull a final fantasy 14.
    Even though the engine is old, they overhaul it, improve upon it and add to it each expansion. They do not need to make a new engine, it wouldn't hurt, but that may be something too hard and time consuming to do at this stage.

  7. #107
    Pandaren Monk Otiswhitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,826
    I doubt Titan will be as big of a success as people think it will be. Not in this market, unless it's free to play and really latches onto that whole trend (Which, I just flat out don't think Blizzard and Activision have it in them to really do F2P). But what's really working against it will be that it's a new IP, and Blizzard doesn't have a great track record in so far as it comes to being original. They've been pretty much riding on the coattails of their three franchises for like, what? 15 years now or so? But even that... People just aren't going to say "WELP! Blizzard made this! I'll throw $60 at it right away! Nevermind it's a series I've never heard of! Nevermind that it's something brand new!". It's hard, and usually impossible, and a perfect storm scenario for people that are more popular than BLIZZARD to do that, let alone them.

    Plus, with MMOs, if they were at all going for WoW's audience, it just wouldn't work. It's the nature of the MMO beast. Most people stick with what they know, or just quit playing MMOs, mostly. Someone isn't going to throw away all of those characters and progression and such and such and such they've spent YEARS with, just to go to a new game. They'll stick with what they know, or go play other genres entirely. That's why WoW killers don't really ever go anywhere, usually. They try to go to a market that's not going to give them much glances. That's why something like GW2 was fairly smart. It tried to carve it's own new group of people, rather than trying to get WoW players into it. That has the ability to cause a trickle down effect, and eventually get some WoW players interested, when they're non-WoW friends are interested, and so forth.

    To surmise, WoW isn't going anywhere. It's too entrenched compared to ANY MMO. Titan likely won't be it's killer. If anything will ever kill it, it'll just be dwindling interest in the genre over the next decade or so. But even then, I imagine it'll still have at least a few million players.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

    Of course, 2 more expansions would mean what, 4 more years? Making WoW 12 years old plus. It would be impressive if it's still running strong by then... but then again WoW is already unprecedented in gaming history. So who really knows?



    No other MMO has had any success like this for half as long. I do not see it going anywhere anytime in the near future. I still see it going strong at 15 years. remember the king was EQ and WoW surpassed its sub numbers in the first 3 months. The reason I do not see it going anywhere is it is so easy to get into and it is the most stable and smooth MMO out there. If Rift, GW2, SWOTOR, or anyother game to come out was as smooth and polished as WoW was when it came out or is now then we may see the end of it.

  9. #109
    WoW will pretty much never "end". However it does "end" for lots of people all the time because they stop playing it.

  10. #110
    Stood in the Fire Vashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    382
    I would love WoW will never end but I just simply cant imagine myself on lvl 200. Will we be running around with 35 000 000 HP? Your screen will be full yellow while giving milions of dmg

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    I doubt Titan will be as big of a success as people think it will be. Not in this market, unless it's free to play and really latches onto that whole trend (Which, I just flat out don't think Blizzard and Activision have it in them to really do F2P). But what's really working against it will be that it's a new IP, and Blizzard doesn't have a great track record in so far as it comes to being original. They've been pretty much riding on the coattails of their three franchises for like, what? 15 years now or so? But even that... People just aren't going to say "WELP! Blizzard made this! I'll throw $60 at it right away! Nevermind it's a series I've never heard of! Nevermind that it's something brand new!". It's hard, and usually impossible, and a perfect storm scenario for people that are more popular than BLIZZARD to do that, let alone them.

    Plus, with MMOs, if they were at all going for WoW's audience, it just wouldn't work. It's the nature of the MMO beast. Most people stick with what they know, or just quit playing MMOs, mostly. Someone isn't going to throw away all of those characters and progression and such and such and such they've spent YEARS with, just to go to a new game. They'll stick with what they know, or go play other genres entirely. That's why WoW killers don't really ever go anywhere, usually. They try to go to a market that's not going to give them much glances. That's why something like GW2 was fairly smart. It tried to carve it's own new group of people, rather than trying to get WoW players into it. That has the ability to cause a trickle down effect, and eventually get some WoW players interested, when they're non-WoW friends are interested, and so forth.

    To surmise, WoW isn't going anywhere. It's too entrenched compared to ANY MMO. Titan likely won't be it's killer. If anything will ever kill it, it'll just be dwindling interest in the genre over the next decade or so. But even then, I imagine it'll still have at least a few million players.
    Again Titan is not a competitor. Will not be a competitor. Has been confirmed to be a competitor.

  12. #112
    Pandaren Monk Otiswhitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    Again Titan is not a competitor. Will not be a competitor. Has been confirmed to be a competitor.
    I know this, you know this, but seemingly no one else knows this. I was basically agreeing with you!

  13. #113
    To the people who think "Titan" will kill WoW. Let me ask you, Did Diablo 3 kill WoW? Did Starcraft 2 kill WoW? Did Gw2, Rift, Aion or any other game kill WoW? So why would Titan which most likely will be nothing like WoW kill it?

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    To the people who think "Titan" will kill WoW. Let me ask you, Did Diablo 3 kill WoW? Did Starcraft 2 kill WoW? Did Gw2, Rift, Aion or any other game kill WoW? So why would Titan which most likely will be nothing like WoW kill it?
    These people seem to think once Titan is released Blizzard will just drop WoW at whatever state it's in.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    These people seem to think once Titan is released Blizzard will just drop WoW at whatever state it's in.
    I think thats pretty funny to be honest. Why would anyone drop a game that would still make well over 40 million a month with half its current player base?

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    WoW will become free to play (!= "die") the day Titan goes live. By that time, people have moved on to other fantasy games, other MMORPGs, [EDIT: other grindy games (people love mindless grinds: see Farmville),] and have been playing Titan beta. It doesn't matter how many expansions there are remaining because that is the denominator which decides when WoW is phased out. Also, whatever WoW's last expansion is going to be, I don't expect it to be the permanent end of the Warcraft universe.
    Again you miss the fact that Titan will not compete with WoW, which comes directly from Blizzard. Titan will not be what you think it is and will be more likely to be F2P.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Blizzard has two options as I see it:

    1. Keep creating content until it's no longer profitable.

    2. Bring the story to an end on their own terms.

    Note that this is the same company that allowed huge franchises like Starcraft and Diablo to take long hiatuses (close to a decade each) before releasing new sequels and it's been about a decade since we've had a Warcraft RTS.

    I could absolutely see blizzard putting WoW into F2P mode in 2 expansions and letting the franchise take a decade off while they wait for new technology and ideas before making "WoW2"
    The problem with this is that both sequels were arguably worse than their predecessors

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurenNinja View Post
    WoW will only end when there's very few players left.
    With MoP, subscription numbers have actually risen to 10 million again. It will of course decline a bit over the course of an expansion but as long as they still manage to keep this huge number of players happy, and as long as many players return or start with a new expansion, there is no reason on earth to end the game.
    Blizzard is most likely busy trying to design this game to be as "endlessly playable" as possible, with lots of content for every type of player, ranging from super casual to professional gamer. We can only expect to see more diverse content as the game goes on, more mini games, more "gameplay modes" (like LFR and Challenge Modes), and so on.

    When their next MMO hits the market, the WoW subs will shrink a lot because it will be "the next big thing" for many to jump to, but even then there will most likely still be enough players playing it to continue developing content for the game. Especially when Titan is not a direct competitor, but a completely different game with completely different mechanics/goals, setting (SciFi) and so on. Also, if Titan doesn't deliver *instantly*, there will be many who come back to WoW after a short period of time. After all, the biggest competitor to Titan is WoW with its massive set of features and maturity. Will be very hard to beat, unless Blizzard delivers something absolutely incredible right from the start.
    Doubtful. Their next MMO, Titan, is being designed to co exist not compete with WoW. Seriously people this information is public record.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 03:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

    People tend to discount the idea that players in WoW have a lot of time and themselves invested in their toons, mains and alts both. That's one of Blizz's secret weapon really to maintain subscriptions. Assuming that Titan is going to be a monthly subscription game and not a version of F2P (an assumption that I'm not willing to entirely make at this point but for the sake of making a point) the smart thing will be to make a deal that's attractive enough to get people into both games. Say something like $19.95/month gets you full access to both.
    Considering they were actively recruiting programmers with real time advertising experience I am willing make that assumption. I prefer looking at what they were/are recruiting as signs of what it may be. Of course it is all speculation and that is part of the fun.

  19. #119
    "WoW will become free to play (!= "die") the day Titan goes live"


    All I have to say and you're wrong by the way,even Blizz itself said that it's going to co exist with WoW together.

    Excuse me, are you saying something? Nah, you can't tell me nothing

  20. #120
    What kind of business would decide to stop making money?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •