Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    As long as blizzard makes enough money to keep their servers running and enough to make new content, they will continue to make some kind of new content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    False. The Nightmare was pushed back to the Rift of Aln, where Malfurion was unable to cleanse its taint. Furthermore, in Cataclysm, the Nightmare begins to not only regain strength, but to pour into the Barrens through the Overgrowth and the Wailing Caverns.

Stormrage's entire purpose was to bring Malfurion out of the Dream and to delay the threat of the Nightmare, not to eliminate it.
    not only that but the book also said that the corruption of the emerald dream would be the cause of malfurion's death, that was a vision directly from elune and as they stated, if elune grants a vision then it WILL happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

No offensive but anybody that thinks that Titan will kill of WoW is probably high on mushrooms.

Blizzard will not kill of WoW just so another game has a chance to succeed....

Your not going to kill the biggest cash-cow in favour of a game that may never make as much money as WoW.

Activision or the other shareholders will not allow WoW to just die for the sake a new game.

GC said several times on twitter that they would develop expansions as long as players play it.
    Last edited by Black Rider; 2013-01-09 at 04:09 PM.

The WoW-will-end-at-level-100 theory is pure rubbish, even in vanilla there were private servers with lvl cap 255, so there's no such limitation as level 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

loud noises!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silencer View Post
    End ? Have you ever heard of http://uo.com/ ???
    May as well throw Dark Age of Camelot in there too.
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

There can be alternative lvling method or seomthing similar
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/attunement.php

WoW won't end because of level cap or because of some boss. It will end when people won't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    "Sorry all 10 million of our subscribers, many of you paying $8.99 per month, we've run out of ideas and are incompetent, go play something else".
    WOAH woah woah, who only pays 9 bucks a month? i pay 15$.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

WoW will only end when there's very few players left.
    With MoP, subscription numbers have actually risen to 10 million again. It will of course decline a bit over the course of an expansion but as long as they still manage to keep this huge number of players happy, and as long as many players return or start with a new expansion, there is no reason on earth to end the game.
    Blizzard is most likely busy trying to design this game to be as "endlessly playable" as possible, with lots of content for every type of player, ranging from super casual to professional gamer. We can only expect to see more diverse content as the game goes on, more mini games, more "gameplay modes" (like LFR and Challenge Modes), and so on.

When their next MMO hits the market, the WoW subs will shrink a lot because it will be "the next big thing" for many to jump to, but even then there will most likely still be enough players playing it to continue developing content for the game. Especially when Titan is not a direct competitor, but a completely different game with completely different mechanics/goals, setting (SciFi) and so on. Also, if Titan doesn't deliver *instantly*, there will be many who come back to WoW after a short period of time. After all, the biggest competitor to Titan is WoW with its massive set of features and maturity. Will be very hard to beat, unless Blizzard delivers something absolutely incredible right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    not only that but the book also said that the corruption of the emerald dream would be the cause of malfurion's death, that was a vision directly from elune and as they stated, if elune grants a vision then it WILL happen.
    I don't want to be rude, but I don't remember this at all. Do you happen to remember where in the book this was shown? That's a serious plot development.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

I've never understood why people think Blizzard will arbitrarily kill a cash-cow just for numerical (level 100) or story (Sargeras) reasons. Yet I see people frequently cite these as when WoW is going to end.

It's not like they are going to run out of ideas or anything. As an example, people have thought Wizards of the Coast will run out of ideas for Magic: the Gathering for decades, yet they are still going 20 years later, and as far as I understand, MtG is more popular than ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    No offensive but anybody that thinks that Titan will kill of WoW is probably high on mushrooms.

Blizzard will not kill of WoW just so another game has a chance to succeed....
    Of course not, that isn't what I said. I foresee a migration path.

Your not going to kill the biggest cash-cow in favour of a game that may never make as much money as WoW.
    In a migration path they will make sure the new game will take considerable market share.

Activision or the other shareholders will not allow WoW to just die for the sake a new game.
    No, but it is pretty clear the game will decline in terms of subscription rate from hereto. 1) People generally stick 2 years with WoW before they move on while the MMORPG market is satiated. 2) The game is technology-wise (graphics, audio) on its limits. 3) The market will shift towards convergence (Android, consoles, PC; as we saw with the WoW armory's features WoW won't be able to join this convergence) 4) Augmented reality same story as mobile. WoW wasn't ready for better graphics either and if compared to games like TERA, GW2 it shows.

The point isn't that Titan will be released to kill off WoW. The point is that by the time Titan is released, WoW has killed itself. WoW players have mostly quit, people are rooting for a new MMORPG, and Titan will be so good players will want to play it. En masse! Remember SC2 was an experiment in talent trees applied to WoW. D3 is an experiment in microtransactions which will be applied to the new MMORPG Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    The point isn't that Titan will be released to kill off WoW. The point is that by the time Titan is released, WoW has killed itself. WoW players have mostly quit, people are rooting for a new MMORPG, and Titan will be so good players will want to play it. En masse! Remember SC2 was an experiment in talent trees applied to WoW. D3 is an experiment in microtransactions which will be applied to the new MMORPG Titan.
    Aside from the fact that you are talking about something that will not likely occur until 3-5 years from now (Titan release), you are also completely discounting the fact that WoW has exponentially more subscribers than any other subscription MMO that currently is or has even been on the market. And many of those are still running, even with a fraction of the subscribers. The original Everquest, which estimates say topped out around 500k subs and is now somewhere between 100-150k, just released their 17th(?) expansion 13 years after its release.

I can still play the original Diablo on battle.net. The server is still running nearly 15 years after its release. Same for Warcraft 2, and it came out in 1995. And neither of those generate subscription revenue. So how old a game is or how bad it's graphics are obviously is not a concern for Blizzard.

People also need to realize that even if WoW lost 90% of it's subscribers, it would still have over 1 million subs. Thats more than all but a handful of MMOs. Realistically, if time machines existed, you could probably jump forward 20 years and still play WoW. WoW will never truly die unless Blizzard goes under.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

From a business standpoint, as long as they're making a lot more than they're spending on producing this game, which they definitely are by far, they'll keep it going.

From a development standpoint, the staff does seem invested in the game and like they enjoy it. I doubt they're counting the days to calling it quits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Of course not, that isn't what I said. I foresee a migration path.

In a migration path they will make sure the new game will take considerable market share.
    They can perhaps influence that to some degree but they can't necessarily control it. And if Titan turns out to be something other than a fantasy RPG, more science fictional or something, they'll even have less control over it.

People tend to discount the idea that players in WoW have a lot of time and themselves invested in their toons, mains and alts both. That's one of Blizz's secret weapon really to maintain subscriptions. Assuming that Titan is going to be a monthly subscription game and not a version of F2P (an assumption that I'm not willing to entirely make at this point but for the sake of making a point) the smart thing will be to make a deal that's attractive enough to get people into both games. Say something like $19.95/month gets you full access to both.

I have serious doubts that they'll actively move people out of WoW or even desire to do so. I have even greater doubts that people that have months or years invested in their characters will just all-of-a-sudden drop WoW to start over in some other game.

The smart play is to make it easy to play both. And I think that's what they'll do.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    If they keep putting out stuff like Cata and Mope I could see it being dead in 2 xpacs
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    I do type WOTLKE.
    Then why don't you type CATAE instead of CATA? Is it not an expansion too? Or are you just trying to make a fool of yourself?

And also, I do hope they keep putting out stuff like MoP. It's an amazing expansion imo.

Every played Zelda a Link to the past? That story will basically happen with the emerald dream.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People tend to discount the idea that players in WoW have a lot of time and themselves invested in their toons, mains and alts both. That's one of Blizz's secret weapon really to maintain subscriptions. Assuming that Titan is going to be a monthly subscription game and not a version of F2P (an assumption that I'm not willing to entirely make at this point but for the sake of making a point) the smart thing will be to make a deal that's attractive enough to get people into both games. Say something like $19.95/month gets you full access to both.

I have serious doubts that they'll actively move people out of WoW or even desire to do so. I have even greater doubts that people that have months or years invested in their characters will just all-of-a-sudden drop WoW to start over in some other game.

The smart play is to make it easy to play both. And I think that's what they'll do.
    I think Blizzard will indeed go for a combo subscription. But not restricted to their MMO's but to have access to all of their games. It makes sense.

By the time Titan will be launched ... blizzard will have SC2 + expansions, D3 + expansion, WoW, their Dota like PvP game on the same BNet.

To access all playing modes in these games (pvp tournaments, map making, price money challenges, gear/fluff updates) you'll pay for a premium subscription "everything included".

In this overall planning, WoW will be played and adapted to other forms endlessly. It is like that Nintendo plummer, he jumps around since 30 + years ...No one will stop Mario either.

My guess is that WoW will probably survive Morhaime and Blizzard itself because the brand name is so lucrative it will be used for the next 50 years and even adapted to new media (tablets, folding screens, full 3d series etc...). I think there is a fair chance our grandchildren will jump around in full 3D Azeroth on folding screens by 2040.

The franchise has now become too huge to drop it in the coming decades. If Blizzard would stop, dozens of companies would buy the WoW name and continue to use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, 4 pages and no one has tried posting that bogus "leaked" product slate from years ago as "proof". I'm shocked.
    These ideas crop up in every single thread that discusses (or attempts to) the direction of future content, along with crap like "Teh emerald dream is for sur teh next expanshun!!" and "Playable Naga Demonhunters FTW!".
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus