15+ Year Old Account

[Movies] LOTR, Help with some Elvish!

Hi all,

posting because I am interested in getting another tattoo, the front cover from the fellowship (Linked at the bottom). However obviously this is a huge deal, so I was interested to know if anyone can tell me what the elvish around the ring in the picture actually says, and in which elvish language it is as i understand there are more than one. I also was hoping someone may be able to link me to a picture of that elvish but larger in order to print out, as I've been struggling to find one myself!

Thanks in advance for any help

Link to picture:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fell...ien/1100013647

Deleted
    That's the writing around the ring

15+ Year Old Account
    Really? I have been having a look around the internet and it just looks different to what I've come across

I'm by no means an expert but going off of the writing from the novel in front of me:

=

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

=

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Which for reference is Black Speech (once again not an expert by any means but this is my best guess based on the book).

Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    That's the writing around the ring
    This is also correct.

Deleted
    Pretty sure. If you have the book, theres a page (on my version its 68 but i doubt it will the same), where the writing of the ring is shown and it matches exactly what's on that cover.

as said just the standard "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them" quote in the language of mordor

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay thanks alot for that, I can see yeh it is the same. I did assume that is what it was as it seemed obvious but the style its written in on the cover is slightly different so it made me second guess it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    Pretty sure. If you have the book, theres a page (on my version its 68 but i doubt it will the same), where the writing of the ring is shown and it matches exactly what's on that cover.
    Page 69 in my version, but I indeed doubt we have the same book.

Ein Ring, sie zu knechten, sie alle zu finden,
    Ins Dunkel zu treiben und ewig zu binden.

It's the Black Speech otherwise known as German.
    Last edited by mmoc67d5707317; 2013-01-09 at 01:42 AM.

Here;

http://imgur.com/mgcI6

This is about as big an image I could get for you, from a PDF file I found. On amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fellowship.../dp/B007978NPG

Click "look inside"

15+ Year Old Account
    Can I make an off-topic suggestion?

Don't get pop-culture or common media tattooed on yourself. If you want to be original maybe tattoo an original phrase in Sindarin somthing that is meaningful to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koala Bandit View Post
    have fun never getting laid. lol elvish.
    Funny as the tattoo is a birthday present from my fiancé.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadesh View Post
    Page 69 in my version, but I indeed doubt we have the same book.

Ein Ring, sie zu knechten, sie alle zu finden,
    Ins Dunkel zu treiben und ewig zu binden.

It's the Black Speech otherwise known as German.
    Oh ok, i dont think I have it inside the book, i have the same copy as in the link.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-connor View Post
    Here;

http://imgur.com/mgcI6

This is about as big an image I could get for you, from a PDF file I found. On amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fellowship.../dp/B007978NPG

Click "look inside"
    Ooh thats amazing thanks, exactly what I was after to print out

while we are talking about it, christopher lee reciting the verses of the ring (includes the elvish in the black tongue)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post

Don't get pop-culture or common media tattooed on yourself. If you want to be original maybe tattoo an original phrase in Sindarin somthing that is meaningful to you.
    Its not a bad thing i have two latin tattoos, one from each of my fave graphic novels. One from The Watchmen and the other is from The Sandman.

Points if you can guess the quotes.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post

Well thats entirely your opinion, which yeah i understand I guess, however to me it is quite meaningful. I have seen more people with tattoos of Sindarin than anything else to do with lotr, and personally I dont really like the whole words or phrases being tattoo'd, but thats just me ofc!

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Its not a bad thing i have two latin tattoos, one from each of my fave graphic novels. One from The Watchmen and the other is from The Sandman.

Points if you can guess the quotes.
    I Imagine the watchman one would be a Rorschach quote, 'This city's afraid of me... I've seen its true face...' or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanez View Post
    Well thats entirely your opinion, which yeah i understand I guess, however to me it is quite meaningful. I have seen more people with tattoos of Sindarin than anything else to do with lotr, and personally I dont really like the whole words or phrases being tattoo'd, but thats just me ofc!

I Imagine the watchman one would be a Rorschach quote, 'This city's afraid of me... I've seen its true face...' or something.
    Read again i said Latin

"Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes"

That's Juvenal quote originally^^, Sandman one is "Omnia mutantur, nihil interit" i suppose?

On topic, text on One Ring is written in Black Speech of Mordor with Tengwar runes, it is not Elvish (or one of it's many variants).

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    That's Juvenal quote originally^^, Sandman one is "Omnia mutantur, nihil interit" i suppose?

On topic, text on One Ring is written in Black Speech of Mordor with Tengwar runes, it is not Elvish (or one of it's many variants).
    Oui zat is correct.