View Poll Results: High Elves: Do you want them?

Voters
938. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

283 30.17%
  • No. We don't need any more races.

102 10.87%
  • No. I'd rather have new races.

385 41.04%
  • I don't care.

168 17.91%
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You missed the part where the citations for that come from the WoW RPG which is non canon...
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    We already have them in game. They are the blood elves. If that doesn't float your boat than you got the Night elves. You don't need any more damn elves. If they did add more elves you can bet they would look just like all the other damn elves in the game.
    Again, maybe we dislike the Horde.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The RPG lifespan lists are no longer canon, according to the lore team Elves who are cut off from sources of immortality live for a few millennia by default. It's entirely concieveable that Anasterian was the same king.
    that and I believe it's explicitly stated it's the same king

Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

Know what a high elf is? Nearly extinct. Even gnomes have a bigger populance than then, and over 75% of that race were wiped out. Also, they're blue-eyed belfs. You want that? Make a belf DK and shut up.

Ever heard of the Silver Covenant? There's your High Elves. ALL of them. That's how few of them still exist.
    I can't help but feel my "epic" experience being diminished when I wage battle against mighty Ordos and 10 people in the raid do nothing but /jump and /fart ...
    -- Strych, 90 Orc Warrior, Tarren Mill EU

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    The difference is, High Elves wouldn't really be High Elves anymore if they changed them away from the current ingame High Elf look to look different than Blood Elves. Players who want them wouldn't accept them. This is one of those cases where a copy/rehash is more than acceptable. Rehashes like Dragon Soul were not acceptable.
    I just don't think this would be a huge problem. I am not asking for, or implying they would look drastically different, like Draenei-Broken or anything... but like someone else said... different voices - attack animations - hair wouldn't be too farfetched

Blizzard's excuse for not introducing playable High Elves or Alliance-aligned Blood Elves was that they were graphically identical to Horde Blood Elves. With the introduction of Pandaren, that excuse has gone out the window.
    can we use the excuse that they are ~1% of the pre 3rd war Elven population, have no real capital or cultural unity (as compared to other races)? if they want to add Quel'dorei, imo, they should add them as a Human sub-race and give the Horde either Elven Forsaken/Mag'har/Taunka

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Know what a high elf is? Nearly extinct. Even gnomes have a bigger populance than then, and over 75% of that race were wiped out. Also, they're blue-eyed belfs. You want that? Make a belf DK and shut up.

Ever heard of the Silver Covenant? There's your High Elves. ALL of them. That's how few of them still exist.
    The only concrete numbers that were ever given was around 25,000.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

The RPG lifespan lists are no longer canon, according to the lore team Elves who are cut off from sources of immortality live for a few millennia by default. It's entirely concieveable that Anasterian was the same king.
    Apologies everyone, I have never heard that. I am not trying to be sneaky!

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    can we use the excuse that they are ~1% of the pre 3rd war Elven population, have no real capital or cultural unity (as compared to other races)? if they want to add Quel'dorei, imo, they should add them as a Human sub-race and give the Horde either Elven Forsaken/Mag'har/Taunka
    I'm totally fine with that. They can share the starting area with Humans like Gnomes used to do with Dwarves.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post

Nope the Silver covenant isn't all of them it is a fraction of the high elves, there are still a few more factions, who are not as hostile to blodd elves, Auric and his high elves for example.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Nope the Silver covenant isn't all of them it is a fraction of the high elves, there are still a few more factions, who are not as hostile to blodd elves, Auric and his high elves for example.
    Note to mention that Stormwind canonically has a significant population of High Elves.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

which would put the Pre-3rd war Quel'dorei population at 2,500,000 and the Sin'dorei population at 225,000 which (personally) sounds a bit high

The only concrete number we have on high elves,which is still canon and prior to the burning crusade was 1% of the original elven population, which is less than the army Kael took to Outland, but that hardly matters since playable pandaren come from a few dozen individuals.

Note to mention that Stormwind canonically has a significant population of High Elves.
    Significant means little considering just how few of them are left.
    Last edited by Combatbulter; 2013-01-09 at 11:18 PM.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

The only concrete number we have on high elves,which is still canon and prior to the burning crusade was 1% of the original elven population, which is less than the army Kael took to Outland, but that hardly matters since playable pandaren come from a few dozen individuals.
    headcanon: Player Pandaren are clones.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    which would put the Pre-3rd war Quel'dorei population at 2,500,000 and the Sin'dorei population at 225,000 which (personally) sounds a bit high
    Again, the numbers come from the RPG which is not canon anymore, but they are the only numbers that were ever given.

And two and a half million for the entirety of Quel'thalas (plus a sizeable number living in Lordaeron/Dalaran) is not unfeasible.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

Still, out of the original high elf population, 90% were killed by the scourge and 90% of those remaining were afflicted by fel-taint and became blood elves. Which, doing the math, means that only 1% of the entire high elf race still exists as it once did.

The high elf population left is a remnant of a remnant, with no racial culture, leader, or identity - just regrets and memories. Silver Covenant might not literally be all that's left, but it's damn close.
    I can't help but feel my "epic" experience being diminished when I wage battle against mighty Ordos and 10 people in the raid do nothing but /jump and /fart ...
    -- Strych, 90 Orc Warrior, Tarren Mill EU

How about a compromise. No new elf races BUT. Blizzard updates the models and textures of the blood elves and Night elves to be better then the pandas. in addition you could have a cosmetic option for the blood elves to have blue eyes with the glowy effect.

How about a compromise. No new elf races BUT. Blizzard updates the models and textures of the blood elves and Night elves to be better then the pandas. in addition you could have a cosmetic option for the blood elves to have blue eyes with the glowy effect.
    I don't find that to be a real compromise at all...

The point is that Alliance players want Thalassian Elves. Making them a "sub race" of humans sounds like the best option with the least development time.

Either that or make Belves neutral.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

No. There are already two different elven races for elven lovers.
    We need more stuff like Draenei and Undead, brutal and original never-seen-in-another-game races. Something like Ogres.
    Anyway, if they put more damn elves in game, i'd better they don't add any races at all.
    ps. Wish I could play Undead for the Alliance. Maybe its time to cancel faction-locked races?