View Poll Results: High Elves: Do you want them?

Voters
938. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    283 30.17%
  • No. We don't need any more races.

    102 10.87%
  • No. I'd rather have new races.

    385 41.04%
  • I don't care.

    168 17.91%
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ...
17
25
26
27
28
29
... LastLast
  1. #521
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    There would be a backlash only if the Horde got something new and shiny. You'd simply wnat to balance the Alliance HElf with a Horde version of an Alliance race. The Highborne NElfs seem to offer the least contrived mechanic of presenting the Horde with an Alliance race.

    You'd simply need to ascertain what work do you want to put in for these new races. New voices? HElfs already use NElf voices. Classes? Should Horde Highborn get the druid class? Animations? Special animations or copied? Start areas? Dedicated or existing?

    EJL
    I don't see where you are getting this Highborne Night Elf stuff ... Highborne night elves do not exist... Highbornes = High Elves....

  2. #522
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't see where you are getting this Highborne Night Elf stuff ... Highborne night elves do not exist... Highbornes = High Elves....
    You ARE aware of the lore behind Night Elf mages, are you not?

    EJL

  3. #523
    Warchief TheDangerZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burt Reynolds' stache
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't see where you are getting this Highborne Night Elf stuff ... Highborne night elves do not exist... Highbornes = High Elves....
    What?? I mean, the Shren'dalar?? Those are highborne night elves, you know. Or is this just a wank about the naming??

  4. #524
    High Elves would work but the problem is just that they're too similar to Blood Elves.

    I'd rather they work on a newer race or add sub races to the old classes like Mag'har. Taunka, Forest Troll (Riventusk are with the Horde,) Wildhammer, etc.

  5. #525
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    What?? I mean, the Shren'dalar?? Those are highborne night elves, you know. Or is this just a wank about the naming??
    It is a wank about the naming. The Highborne, literally are the High Elves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    You ARE aware of the lore behind Night Elf mages, are you not?


    EJL
    They are still Night Elves. Still a sect of Night Elves.

  6. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    They are still Night Elves. Still a sect of Night Elves.
    So, you don't know.

    The Highborne are the Nobles of the old Night Elf Empire. Following a series of unfortunate events, many found themselves exiled to the Eastern Kingdoms where they became High Elves. Another batch of Highborne, however, survived in the city now known as Dire Maul. These recently left and rejoined their kin in Darnassus.

    My little addition is to postulate a disagreement - some didn't want to seek out the Darnassian Night Elves and instead opted to seek out their Highborne kin, the High Elves, instead. In this way, the Horde get Night Elfs to offset the Allaince getting Blood/High Elfs. Everyone is happy because everyone gets something equivalent to the other - whether they like what they got is another question. Even Blizzard can end up happy because the change necessary is minimal.

    EJL

  7. #527
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    So, you don't know.

    The Highborne are the Nobles of the old Night Elf Empire. Following a series of unfortunate events, many found themselves exiled to the Eastern Kingdoms where they became High Elves. Another batch of Highborne, however, survived in the city now known as Dire Maul. These recently left and rejoined their kin in Darnassus.

    My little addition is to postulate a disagreement - some didn't want to seek out the Darnassian Night Elves and instead opted to seek out their Highborne kin, the High Elves, instead. In this way, the Horde get Night Elfs to offset the Allaince getting Blood/High Elfs. Everyone is happy because everyone gets something equivalent to the other - whether they like what they got is another question. Even Blizzard can end up happy because the change necessary is minimal.

    EJL
    Yes I do know. Nothing in lore at all would suggest that type of decision (Night Elves joining Horde) in any way at all. You also have a misconception on what equality means. Whats ironic is your own choice of words, and asking about Night Elf mages disproves your point and possibility of them joining the Horde....
    Last edited by Lemonpartyfan; 2013-01-13 at 05:19 AM.

  8. #528
    Warchief TheDangerZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burt Reynolds' stache
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    It is a wank about the naming. The Highborne, literally are the High Elves.
    Then you are just being unnecessarily contentious. Yes, the high elves are technically the highborne (more specifically their descendants) but we have a more specific terms to refer to them, High Elves, highborne is used to specifically refer to highborne night elves, since they are part of the original group.

    It is just so unnecessary to wank over this, it's like the whole "tomate is a vegetable" discussion.

  9. #529
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Then you are just being unnecessarily contentious. Yes, the high elves are technically the highborne (more specifically their descendants) but we have a more specific terms to refer to them, High Elves, highborne is used to specifically refer to highborne night elves, since they are part of the original group.

    It is just so unnecessary to wank over this, it's like the whole "tomate is a vegetable" discussion.
    Well, not really. Because Highborne NIGHT ELVES, as still Night Elves....

  10. #530
    Warchief TheDangerZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burt Reynolds' stache
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, not really. Because Highborne NIGHT ELVES, as still Night Elves....
    But then why use the same term to refer to two different races?? It's just convoluted.

  11. #531
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, not really. Because Highborne NIGHT ELVES, as still Night Elves....
    And British people are still people, doesn't magically make British incorrect
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  12. #532
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Yes I do know. Nothing in lore at all would suggest that type of decision (Night Elves joining Horde) in any way at all.
    The Night Elfs of Dire Maul would not be too influence by the events that would prevent Darnassian Night Elves joining the Horde.

    You also have a misconception on what equality means.
    Both sides get the same thing. In this case, both factions end up with one of the other sides races.

    Whats ironic is your own choice of words, and asking about Night Elf mages disproves your point and possibility of them joining the Horde....
    Why would the Highborne of Dire Maul NOT seek out their Highborn kin now called the High Elves? Why would they have some grievance against the Horde that would prevent or inhibit their joining up? The Highborne of Dire Maul are Night Elves, but they owe no fealty towards Darnassus. Conversely, the High Elves are the descendents of their own kind. Highborne who were exiled from Darnassus.

    You seem to be arguing that Night Elfs from Dire Maul would never ally with the Horde because , as Night Elves, they would follow the same relationships as those in Darnassus.

    EJL

  13. #533
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    And British people are still people, doesn't magically make British incorrect
    I'm sorry, i don't fully understand your meaning here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    But then why use the same term to refer to two different races?? It's just convoluted.
    You're right, it is. This is why I am annoyed at "Highborne Night Elf" even being used at all. Its a bit silly. The Shen'Dralar sect of Night Elves has allied itself with Darn. This is why we have Night Elf mages.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 01:00 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Both sides get the same thing. In this case, both factions end up with one of the other sides races.

    EJL
    This is not equality. In no way shape oor form are the High Elves a Horde faction. So taking Night Elves, or any sect of Night Elves away from the Alliance wouldn't be equality.

    Why would the Highborne of Dire Maul NOT seek out their Highborn kin now called the High Elves? Why would they have some grievance against the Horde that would prevent or inhibit their joining up? The Highborne of Dire Maul are Night Elves, but they owe no fealty towards Darnassus. Conversely, the High Elves are the descendents of their own kind. Highborne who were exiled from Darnassus.
    There have been quests in game that disprove this. They are part of Darnassus. High Elves are still Alliance. So this doesn't really make sense anyway.

    You seem to be arguing that Night Elfs from Dire Maul would never ally with the Horde because , as Night Elves, they would follow the same relationships as those in Darnassus.
    They have. This is in the game. This is why we have Night Elf Mages.

  14. #534
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    So, you don't know.

    The Highborne are the Nobles of the old Night Elf Empire. Following a series of unfortunate events, many found themselves exiled to the Eastern Kingdoms where they became High Elves. Another batch of Highborne, however, survived in the city now known as Dire Maul. These recently left and rejoined their kin in Darnassus.

    My little addition is to postulate a disagreement - some didn't want to seek out the Darnassian Night Elves and instead opted to seek out their Highborne kin, the High Elves, instead. In this way, the Horde get Night Elfs to offset the Allaince getting Blood/High Elfs. Everyone is happy because everyone gets something equivalent to the other - whether they like what they got is another question. Even Blizzard can end up happy because the change necessary is minimal.

    EJL
    Or how about just give the Alliance High Elves because they're an Alliance race? Horde can have Ogres or some other foolishness.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  15. #535
    High Overlord D-Balthalzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    118
    I do, but not to play one. (Favourite race is Dwarves, by far).

    I do for two reasons;

    1) The Alliance is not, and has never felt, complete without them. Seriously. They may be fickle, they may be arses. they may be the most despicable and independent race going, but they were an Alliance race. They were there almost from the very first incarnation of the Alliance. When someone says 'Alliance' to me, in the context of WoW, I think of Human, Dwarves and High Elves.

    Imagine this; WoW started with Taurens in the Alliance. Blizzard gave the most lore abiding excuse going, and there was apparently no going back. Horde players would be pissed, no? And I'd understand why; Tauren are fundamental to the Horde in the same way the High Elves (atleast in my opinion) are to the Alliance. Both are key and part of the 'trio' races that are quintessential to the depiction of the Alliance.

    And 2), if Blizzard is insisting on developing and devoting so much lore to the High Elves, we, the player base, may as well see some of that first hand. I think it's boarding on pathetic now that High Elves have been continually updated in every expansion (TBC - Allerian Hold, Wrath - Silver Convent & new/updated Sunwell lore during the sword quest, , Cata - Continued Silver Convent update, insight in their political disposition regarding Quel'thalas and MoP - continued presence through the Kirin Tor quests), while other playable races (Gnomes, Worgen, Draenei) are woefully neglected.

    Seriously, if they're gunna get that much attention, then Blizzard might as well/should add them as playable.

    Imagine if the counterpart for the Horde version was that Ogres continually received update after update. They lead a significant force in Northerend for the Horde, and later this transgressed through each and every expansion, and they took precedent for lore development over other playable races (Tauren, Goblin & Troll). You'd be pissed, right?

  16. #536
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Or how about just give the Alliance High Elves because they're an Alliance race? Horde can have Ogres or some other foolishness.
    Which misses the point that you'd be giving the Alliance a rehashed race and the Horde a brand new one.

    You give one side a brand new arce, they both get brand new races.
    You want to give one side a rehashed race? The other side needs to get a rehashed race.

    EJL

  17. #537
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,599
    High Elves are boring, they contribute nothing new, have no unique architecture, no interesting culture, etc...
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  18. #538
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'm sorry, i don't fully understand your meaning here.
    That you are ascribing to one group of people, the attributes, attitudes, belivefs, culture of another simply because they are the same race.

    You're right, it is. This is why I am annoyed at "Highborne Night Elf" even being used at all. Its a bit silly. The Shen'Dralar sect of Night Elves has allied itself with Darn. This is why we have Night Elf mages.
    Not all of them did. Not all of them need have done so.


    This is not equality. In no way shape oor form are the High Elves a Horde faction. So taking Night Elves, or any sect of Night Elves away from the Alliance wouldn't be equality.
    HElfs are BElfs with a blue glow to their eyes. Belfs are a Horde faction. You would be giving the Alliance a race with the same look, langauge, architecture, culture, animations, etc. An old, already existing race. A race that currently is not available to Alliance players. Giving the Horde Night Elves would mean the Horde too would be getting an old already existing race to play and the idea that Highborne Night Elfs from Dire Maul, Night Elfs who have no link with or loyalty to Darnassus beyond race and also have a link to the Blood Elves might seek out both factions isn't unreasonable.

    There have been quests in game that disprove this. They are part of Darnassus. High Elves are still Alliance. So this doesn't really make sense anyway.
    Only because you are trying to argue that an addition to the existing lore can't be done. If Blizzard wanted to give the Horde Night Elfs, and then say "Not all the Highborne from Dire Maul went to Darnassus; some went to seek out the Blood Elfs instead" is there anythign in existing lore to contradict that? No. You could even bring back Tarsis Kir-Moldir as the leader and give him a suitable backstory.

    Rescued by a BElf scout party, he returned to DM to find the city in disarray and preparing to sned an emissray to Darnassus. He argued unsuccessfully to join their strength with that of their Highborne kin, the Blood Elves but did manage to recruit a sizeable contingent from those who disliked the idea of seeking help from the hippies, and relocated to Silvermoon.

    They have. This is in the game. This is why we have Night Elf Mages.
    You seem to be operating under the belief that lore can't be added to the game, and that the lore we have is complete.

    EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-01-13 at 10:38 PM.

  19. #539
    High Overlord D-Balthalzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Which misses the point that you'd be giving the Alliance a rehashed race and the Horde a brand new one.

    You give one side a brand new arce, they both get brand new races.
    You want to give one side a rehashed race? The other side needs to get a rehashed race.

    EJL
    Only 1/3 of the Dark Iron population sided with Moira iirc. Perfect opportunity to add a slightly renegade version of one of the Alliance races and meld it into the Horde.

    Or Draenei are always a viable option. Have it so both Blood Elves and Draenei go neutral next expansion (but Alliance Elves have a choice to pick blue eyes or green.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    High Elves are boring, they contribute nothing new, have no unique architecture, no interesting culture, etc...
    They do however provide interesting development for other races.

    High Elves properly cemented into the Alliance would finally give Blood Elves a personal stake into sticking with the Horde. Right now, there's logical reasons why they're still there, and gameplay reasons, but nothing else. There's nothing that inherently makes them or the players feel a connection to the Horde. This would provide that; a direct opposition to their authority that is allied with their enemy.

  20. #540
    The Lightbringer Mandible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    But then why use the same term to refer to two different races?? It's just convoluted.
    They aren´t defining two different races by using those terms. Its a definition of two different cultures within the entire night elven society where the High borne are the ruling caste. Just look at how India is divided in a caste system and what each are called - doesn´t mean others won´t call everyone of them Indians.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •