View Poll Results: High Elves: Do you want them?

Voters
938. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

283 30.17%
  • No. We don't need any more races.

102 10.87%
  • No. I'd rather have new races.

385 41.04%
  • I don't care.

168 17.91%
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Well then, perhaps you can explain why the Highborne seeking out their kin in Darnassus makes sense, but having them seek out their kin in Silvermoon does not?

EJL
    Tbh I don't think either makes sense.

If the race becomes playable, however, there will hopefully be some sort of logical conclusion as to why high elves are joining x race and why the race has become playable considering how few high elves are left in Azeroth.

Gameplay wise...I'm just hoping that there will be a unique race model and not simply nelfs/belfs with blue eyes...also, while I wouldn't mind a high elf race, there are a few other races I'd rather see implemented in game before high elves (Ogres, Dryads, Naga, Murloc, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    If you give the Alliance High Elves , what would the player raection be? They'd love it.
    If, at the same time, you gave the Horde Ogres, what would the player reaction be? They'd love it. And then they'd point out, rather forcefully, that the High Elf uses the same model as the Blood Elf. The same animations. That it had been in the game for years. That it wasn't fair that the Horde got a shiny sparkly brand new model and the Alliance got a hand-me-down.

For something like this, balance is required. What happenes to one, happens to both. Just look at how mnay Alliance players disliked the disparity in class/role combos. Or the way the Horde reacted to the difference in mounts. An the Alliance as well.

You may want to think of this as a logical fallacy. But it would happen. More to the point, it would be justified. And it would require next to no work on Blizzrads part to fix it.

A new character selection screen? Already being done. Charcater models and animations? Already done. Start zone? Drop them in an existing zone. Lore to justify it? Blizzard can make something up.

And yes...it would make the BElfs less "unique" - or rather, less associated with the Horde.

EJL
    What I mean with "less unique" blood elves is that, in the same way that alliance would be using the same animations and model than a horde race, the horde would be using the same model and animations than and alliance race. Therefore, the horde would need another unique race, since one of their is "shared"

That is balance, regardless of QQ from any would be whiners.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 02:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Tbh I don't think either makes sense.

If the race becomes playable, however, there will hopefully be some sort of logical conclusion as to why high elves are joining x race and why the race has become playable considering how few high elves are left in Azeroth.

Gameplay wise...I'm just hoping that there will be a unique race model and not simply nelfs/belfs with blue eyes...also, while I wouldn't mind a high elf race, there are a few other races I'd rather see implemented in game before high elves (Ogres, Dryads, Naga, Murloc, etc).
    Completely agree with your first point.

Do not agree with the second. High elves should share models with blood elves a la pandaren, The biological differences are just too negligible. I find it more believable.

But if high elves happen to be added and with a brand new model and anims and all, I will not pout, not a bit. I just think it would be far more practical and sensible to use the blood elven model for them as well.

I just can't understand this point of view. Nothing is being taken from the Horde at all. High Elves aren't in the Horde. Why would the Horde deserve to crap all over logic and lore in the current game to take an Alliance race? I don't get it.

Shen'dralar has allied with Darnassus. Dark Iron Dwarves, being ruled now by Moira have joined with their Dwarven brethren.

I heard the same whining about Horde getting Blood Elves in BC. "Horde get a rehashed... blah blah blah" but that all worked out fine didn't it?
    "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -Voltaire

High Elves should NOT get a different models or animations than Blood Elves, and Dryads (and any other 4-legged races) are a big NO-NO, end of discussion.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt metzen or someone else from blizz state that most high elves became blood elves after the atrocities happened to their race and that their are not enough high elves to constitute a new race for players?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrus View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt metzen or someone else from blizz state that most high elves became blood elves after the atrocities happened to their race and that their are not enough high elves to constitute a new race for players?
    They also said that flying mounts would never be allowed in Azeroth's main continents.

Yes, because I like the model but dislike Horde.
    Ornasse Evershade, Sage of the Seven Pines | Sath'alor Silverdawn, Ghostlands Ranger
    http://dancinghare.wordpress.com ~ Art, stories and musings. | My Pet Collection

No. This isn't world of Elfcraft. This game needs more diversity. I want new races to be as unique as possible, with little in common with other races including their appearance.

Because a fractured race that is a tiny amount of the ACTUAL population of their species is totally cause for them to be a playable race.

We already have enough elves, High Elves are basically boring versions of Blood Elves anyway and serve next to no purpose as a race.
    "What do you seek within the mountain?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bokor View Post
    the player base
    Has absolutely no idea what it wants.

The Patient
    High elves would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    High Elves should NOT get a different models or animations than Blood Elves, and Dryads (and any other 4-legged races) are a big NO-NO, end of discussion.
    Why can't we have a 4-legged race?

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled Shadow View Post
    High elves would be great.

Why can't we have a 4-legged race?
    Doesn't fit into a civilized faction. Way too much resources needed to make gear fit them etc. We won't ever see Nerubians, Mantid etc for those reasons.
    Those are the reason why Worgen and Tauren were made 2-legged instead of 4.

Doesn't fit into a civilized faction. Way too much resources needed to make gear fit them etc. We won't ever see Nerubians, Mantid etc for those reasons.
    Those are the reason why Worgen and Tauren were made 2-legged instead of 4.
    Not necessarily, the armor showing would probably be chest/shoulders/helm/hands for a dryad...Blizz could taper the chestpiece in a way that it would look decent.

Leggings/footgear would look weird, though, and so I'd imagine that those wouldn't be exposed (much like footwear on a female troll doesn't show up when worn).

Not necessarily, the armor showing would probably be chest/shoulders/helm/hands for a dryad...Blizz could taper the chestpiece in a way that it would look decent. Leggings/footgear would look weird, though.
    I've never understood the whole gear issue really. I think maybe Blizz has mentioned it a few times in Tweets or something as being an odd design to work with, but the Undead already break half their armor, while we've got the Trolls, Tauren, Worgen, and I'm pretty sure Draenei not even using their shoes. I don't think it'd be that hard to show leggings as more of a wrap-around-type armor, and either just not use the shoes (yet again) or show them as a smaller band below the leggings. Could work for Naga, too.
    That's not to say I necessarily want any of those races playable (though they'd all be cool, none would be my first choice).

Not necessarily, the armor showing would probably be chest/shoulders/helm/hands for a dryad...Blizz could taper the chestpiece in a way that it would look decent.

Leggings/footgear would look weird, though, and so I'd imagine that those wouldn't be exposed (much like footwear on a female troll doesn't show up when worn).
    Isn't a dryad just a night elf crossed with a stag anyway? Centaurs would be more interesting.

Isn't a dryad just a night elf crossed with a stag anyway? Centaurs would be more interesting.
    Pretty much, I just listed dryads/keepers of the grove (male version of dryad) because they are the membership races of the Cenarion Circle. Officially in lore they are the sons and daughters of Cenarius. Their in game models tend to resemble half night elves, although the model for Mylune looks pretty good and semi-distinct and would be a good model for a dryad race...Mylune isn't a dryad however, she is a nymph. According to wowwiki, some nymphs in wow are evolved from dryads (such as the frost nymphs in Northrend).

Not gonna lie, centaurs would be pretty cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Balthalzar View Post
    They do however provide interesting development for other races.

High Elves properly cemented into the Alliance would finally give Blood Elves a personal stake into sticking with the Horde. Right now, there's logical reasons why they're still there, and gameplay reasons, but nothing else. There's nothing that inherently makes them or the players feel a connection to the Horde. This would provide that; a direct opposition to their authority that is allied with their enemy.
    No, they do not. The High Elves barely had any significant role until WotlK. Since then their lore has only revolved around the Blood Elves. Their lore is basically blood elf lore.

What do you mean by having the High Elves cemented into the Alliance? I mean, they already are. They have shown their true colors and the Blood Elves now have their reasons to stick with the Horde.

Again, they do not need to become playable to be create an intriguing storyline.

Simple, in warcraft 3 they were THE healers of the alliance, and lets be honest, its not like they would have a lot of work to do, all the assetts for them are in game already, just add a silver covenant refuge where the park was in stormwind and have them start IN the city doing phased quests in the town till lvl 5 simple!

I'd love if they remade the race as "Elf" and then had a neutral questline similar to the Pandaren where you'd choose your faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    I'd love if they remade the race as "Elf" and then had a neutral questline similar to the Pandaren where you'd choose your faction.
    If they did that though it'd have to take place waaaaay far back in history though, basically like CoT. Even the division between High and Blood Elves was some time ago (15-20 years isn't a whole lot, but longer than WoW's timeline anyway). The division between Night and High Elves goes even further back, we're talking thousands of years now. It's not as simple a matter with them as the Pandaren's difference of opinion. Night Elves and High/Blood Elves are at this point physically different, way more so than a little eye color change.
    So while that would be kind of cool/handy, it would probably be pretty clunky or weird to actually implement.