Poll: High Elves: Do you want them?

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    When they implemented Goblins, did they just slap the old goblin models into the character creation? No. When they implemented Worgen, did they just slap the old worgen models into the character creation? No.

When they made blood elves, did they just slap the old "high elf" model into character creation and give it green eyes? No.

I assure you that if they were to make the High Elves a playable race for the Alliance, they would most likely reskin or remodel them from scratch.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they would be cool
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    When they implemented Goblins, did they just slap the old goblin models into the character creation? No. When they implemented Worgen, did they just slap the old worgen models into the character creation? No.

When they made blood elves, did they just slap the old "high elf" model into character creation and give it green eyes? No.

I assure you that if they were to make the High Elves a playable race for the Alliance, they would most likely reskin or remodel them from scratch.
    Would they?

The old high elf model was only ever a placeholder using the nelf skeleton.

Belf's and Helf's are the exact same race. The only cosmetic difference between them is the colour of their eyes. Unless they drastically rewrite lore no visible change in body will occur.
    Last edited by mmoc30840dbb5e; 2013-01-09 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokor View Post
    Would they?

The old high elf model was only ever a placeholder.

Belf's and Helf's are the exact same race. The only cosmetic difference between them is the colour of their eyes.
    Except, some followed Kael'thas, and some didn't want to .... thats a large philosophical choice/difference..

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    The come and help and guess what the Alliance does? Sends a Dwarf spy and a fleet of Night Elves to set up Martial Law. That was so helpful. So we killed them. And that is what pushed all the Highe Elves (Blood Elves) to the Horde.
    The Night Elves didn't set up Martial Law, the Night Elves heard about the Kael'thas siding with Illidan and the Naga in Outland, which was a call for alarm. They established a base of operations to spy on the Blood Elves with good reason since the newest allies, the Draenei, also brought the attention of the Blood Elves siding with Demons. The timeline was before Liandrin defected. Blood Elves under Kael were a treacherous bunch, they betrayed their own people, betrayed the Horde, and even betrayed Illidan in favour of siding with the Legion. These types have nothing to do with the playable blood elf as far as loyalties go.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Actually in the lore that isn't true. The Elves (including Night Elves) have both Blue and Green eyes.
    no, Night Elves either have Silver or Gold eyes. Not Blue and green. Green in Blood Elves is entirely a result of fel taint, similar to the green colour in Orc skin. This is confirmed by the devs and canon. Your headcanon is irrelevant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Except, some followed Kael'thas, and some didn't want to .... thats a large philosophical choice/difference..
    His point was regarding models.

We already know the story difference.

You may think that but there is a whole lot of retcon that would be required of it. The only physical difference between a Blood Elf and a High Elf is the colour of their eyes. That's it. They are exactly the same people otherwise.

I much rather have a completely new playable race.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

His point was regarding models.

We already know the story difference.
    The point remains, when they added Belfs, they changed the models a little from the previous High Elf models from Vanilla.

I think its time to implement high elves. pandaren looks exactly the same on both faction so no reason anymore not to make high elves avaible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    The point remains, when they added Belfs, they changed the models a little from the previous High Elf models from Vanilla.
    Neither your unrelated lore point, nor his remains regarding model discussion.

The old model used a nelf skeleton. It was just a placeholder. You can't argue that helf's using a belf model is the same thing when they are the same race.

How many times does it have to be said they are the same race before people listen?

It's funny how black and white some of you people are. Just because High Elves and Blood Elves are the same species doesn't mean they would just throw Blood Elves on the Alliance side and give them all the same voice acting and animations while changing their eye color.

I'm not saying change the skeletal structure of all High Elves to make them look radically different.

What they would do is take the Blood Elf model, retexture their default skin tones and eye colors, implement new voice acting, jokes, emotes, flirts, create brand new faces for the race that Blood Elves don't have access to, and redo their animations so they are nothing like the blood elve's.

Different swing animations, different dance animations, different cower animations, different casting animations, different mount riding posture, etc. etc.

If Shaq and I were to play a game of 1 on 1, we wouldn't both have the same moves because we're both humans.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2013-01-09 at 06:43 AM.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Neither your unrelated lore point, nor his remains regarding model discussion.

The old model used a nelf skeleton. It was just a placeholder. You can't argue that helf's using a belf model is the same thing when they are the same race.

How many times does it have to be said they are the same race before people listen?
    Blood elves and high elves are for the most part the same race in terms of underlying physical biology.[16] However, blood elves have glowing green eyes and their hair and skin are much paler or otherwise unnaturally coloured,[18] due to the absorption of fel energies during the period the Sunwell was lost. For the most part however, they are considered separate due to cultural differences more so than because of physical ones.[19]

Thats from the wiki. They are a little different. That doesn't matter. All humans came from the same group of humans. That evolved into white skin, black skin, tall people, short people, and many more differences. The same happened to those two groups of elves according to the wiki.

But that doesn;t matter, same model? Like the horde/alliance pandas? Technically, H elves were the same as N elves. Does that mean B elves shouldn't be in the game?

Deleted
    It's funny how black and white some of you people are. Just because High Elves and Blood Elves are the same species doesn't mean they would just throw Blood Elves on the Alliance side and give them all the same voice acting and animations while changing their eye color.

I'm not saying change the skeletal structure of all High Elves to make them look radically different. You can take the Blood Elf model, retexture their default skin tones and eye colors, create brand new faces for the race that Blood Elves don't have access to, and redo their skeletons so they have completely different animations.

If Shaq and I were to play a game of 1 on 1, we wouldn't both have the same moves because we're both humans.
    Possible. The only feasible difference could be facial choices (and eye colour) as skin tones are fairly well covered in the current model. That is a pretty weak basis for a different faction race though and both sides would cry fowl they couldn't use each others faces when they are the same race.

I'm not thinking in black and white, only within the parameters of wow character creation. And they're fairly limited.

Shaq is an statistical outlier as far as his body goes. Now, if you were from a racially isolated group of people that he came from and those only split into other distinct groups within the last decade, then there's no reason why you should be different looking or have different genetic advantages or disadvantages compared to his people.

We aren't comparing Kael'thas to a generic High Elven villager. We're comparing a generic Blood Elf to a generic High Elf. The difference between them in younger than Anduin.

Let me repeat that. Anduin is older than the separation of the Blood Elven socio-political faction from the High Elves.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Seems pointless to me. We already have two elf races, and they pretty much cover all elves. High elves are just blood elves that live differently. If we go down that road, we might as well just make every race available to both factions on the premise of cultural divides. More races, fine, but no more elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Seems pointless to me. We already have two elf races, and they pretty much cover all elves. High elves are just blood elves that live differently. If we go down that road, we might as well just make every race available to both factions on the premise of cultural divides. More races, fine, but no more elves.
    Sort of like Pandas choosing horde/alliance?

Or how High elves are just Night elves that live differently? TAKE AWAY BLOOD ELVES STAT!

Possible. The only feasible difference could be facial choices (and eye colour) as skin tones are fairly well covered in the current model. That is a pretty weak basis for a different faction race though and both sides would cry fowl they couldn't use each others faces when they are the same race.

I'm not thinking in black and white, only within the parameters of wow character creation. And they're fairly limited.
    I, nor Blizzard, really gives a fuck about players crying about shit like that.

"IT'S NOT FAIR THAT GOBLINS GET A ROCKET JUMP RACIAL, I WANT IT ON MY BLOOD ELF."

No, no one gives a shit.

You're right in that blood elves and high elves are the same species, that DOESN'T mean they're the same race, (distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation) and that doesn't mean they would reuse the same models and animations.

What they would most likely do is take the Blood Elf model, retexture their default skin tones and eye colors, implement new voice acting, jokes, emotes, flirts, create brand new faces for the race that Blood Elves don't have access to, and redo their animations so they are nothing like the blood elves'.

Different swing animations, different dance animations, different cower animations, different casting animations, different mount riding posture, etc. etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    I want them in because I want to see them in lore. Their numbers have to have been growing since the scourges attack. It would be nice to see those mages fighting for the alliance in large numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Shaq is an statistical outlier as far as his body goes. Now, if you were from a racially isolated group of people that he came from and those only split into other distinct groups within the last decade, then there's no reason why you should be different looking or have different genetic advantages or disadvantages compared to his people.

We aren't comparing Kael'thas to a generic High Elven villager. We're comparing a generic Blood Elf to a generic High Elf.
    You're strawmanning the issue and using a fallacy fallacy to try and disprove my point.

If I played basketball against my little brother, he wouldn't have the same moves as me because we're the same species. If you and I got into a fist fight, we wouldn't have the same moves because we're the same species. If Shaq and Jordan got into a basketball match, their moves wouldn't be the same because they're both the same species.

If Ancient Rome and Africa got into a war, their weapons, fighting styles, and armor wouldn't be the same because they're the same species.

If Aethas and Vereesa played basketball against each other, they would'nt have the same moves. If Vereesa and Aethas got into a magic duel, they wouldn't have the same moves.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2013-01-09 at 06:58 AM.