Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Rift Worth Getting?

Alright, so I came from playing WoW for 1 and a half years, to playing no MMO since 2011. I dont know whether to get Rift, Or Guild Wars 2, or just both. My main concern is, is Rift worth getting? Im really want to get it, but i dont know if its worth it.

Isn't there like a freebie to level 20 trial you can get ?

Ascend for free with RIFT™ Lite! New and returning players can enjoy levels 1-20 of RIFT with no charge or time limit. Experience massive Planar invasions and explore the countless possibilities of the Ascended Soul class system. Embrace immortality. Fight for Telara!

I bought it, played maybe a month. Just couldn't get in to it. The style, the sounds, the races. Just wasn't my cup of tea
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-01-09 at 06:32 AM.

Rift. It's beautiful. Highly, highly underrated imo.

Wow thanks for telling me that its free until lvl 20. Will definitely check it out soon

Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    Wow thanks for telling me that its free until lvl 20. Will definitely check it out soon
    Definitely worth checking out, but unfortunately the free trial isn't even scratching the surface of what the game really has to offer. I'm hoping they bump up Rift Lite to level 49 as by that time you've got a bit more of a grasp on what the game will be offering. Even then, the difference between 50 and 60 is pretty dramatic as far as the amount of content and variety of activities offered in the game.

DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions only. I do not mean to start a flame war.

I leveled to 50 and didn't feel like I experienced anything special. I have yet to see the other half of the game, but from what I noticed so far...The game is incredibly similar to WoW in gameplay, and the terrain seems kind of "flat" compared to WoW's colorful layout. The exception I've noticed so far is Gloamwood. That zone was very well done.

However, it does have its own appeal. There are more ways to level in Rift than WoW offers, and *FAR* more ways to specialize your "class". You also have the option to more professions, and every one of them is actually extremely useful unlike LW or gathering profs on WoW. Zone-wide events is probably one of the most immersive qualities I have ever experienced in an MMO. If you like/previously liked WoW, you may or may not like Rift better.

I, personally, am finding Rift much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Zafire; 2013-01-09 at 10:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I'm hoping they bump up Rift Lite to level 49 as by that time you've got a bit more of a grasp on what the game will be offering. Even then, the difference between 50 and 60 is pretty dramatic as far as the amount of content and variety of activities offered in the game.
    21-49 offers very little difference then 1-20 imo since this games focal point was level 50 endgame and now level 60. I think a 1-49 trial to capture permanent subs would be more harmful then anything. By level 20 you will have enough feel for the game to make a decision that the game is for you or not.

There is a good reason why WoW hasn't raised it's f2p level cap too. Once subbed players are more inclined to get invested in the level process and the game.

Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    Alright, so I came from playing WoW for 1 and a half years, to playing no MMO since 2011. I dont know whether to get Rift, Or Guild Wars 2, or just both. My main concern is, is Rift worth getting? Im really want to get it, but i dont know if its worth it.
    I PM'd you a refer a friend code. It should be in your "notifications" box.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    I would try, or me it is way better than GW2, it's fine now. Nothing world breaking but worth some money.

I just started playing a couple days ago, and I find that because I'm playing with my brother in another province, I'm way more interested now then in the past where I couldn't get quite into Rift Lite. Now I'm just about 40 and have purchased SL (Used Raptr for Free Rift+ Vanity), and I think I will quite enjoy it.

Def different for me as I played WoW since release, def better visuals imo.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a WoW player who has played since release and still plays in Mists, I can 100% say you should try Rift. Both games do something different for me, but since Rift is new I'm spending all of my time playing it. It's familiar enough to feel comfortable while providing a much different experience.

Rift is darker, more mature, and arguably a deeper game than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Def worth checking out. SL was a lot of fun, I just dont have time for a sub game outside of Eve right now so I stopped playing. But I will always have mad respect for Trion and Rift and SL is a even further step in the right direction. Id say besides Eve, its the only game worth a sub.

Deleted
    Yes. Rift is a good game. If you liked the older WoW, with longer talent trees, with stronger bosses but still like some cross-faction cooperation you should at least give it a try. Rift is darker then WoW and a bit more mature. It started very similar to WoW, but as time passed it went away from WoW a lot.

As for GW2, it is something more casual I must say. The benefit is though that you don't pay subscription and it's a good game to which you can return at any time you wish. There is some harder content too, but it is mostly designed as a game where you don't need to grind 24/7 on dailies or other crap.

Deleted
    Since the community is much smaller now, especially in comparison to what it was when I played (CB, OB then release) I found it hard to actually find a group to do anything , even after server hopping a bit since that's free too now. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    Since the community is much smaller now, especially in comparison to what it was when I played (CB, OB then release) I found it hard to actually find a group to do anything , even after server hopping a bit since that's free too now. :/
    Groups for what exactly?

I jumped onto Rift when it first debuted and rolled with it for a long while just to see how it would grow. Overall, it was enjoyable but I felt that it came up lacking in a lot of places. I never felt any need to every play with anyone else (in fact, other players served as a point of frustration) in the quests, until I suddenly hit a wall where everything suddenly required a full team to even attempt. The open field instances with the various rifts and bosses are a nifty idea, but they turn into this messy cluster that makes it hard to tell what's going on at all. PvP came across as very weak despite how heavy a presence it was supposed to have in the game.

Honestly, I enjoyed the game a lot more once I stopped trying to play it and just wandered around in the world, exploring and taking in the scenery. The art is quite beautiful and there's lots of stuff hidden away that makes just roaming around rather rewarding. Rifts certainly deserves being given a shot to see how it appeals to you. I enjoyed it for a time, but fell out of love with it a lot sooner than I have other MMOs I've played in the past.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Groups for what exactly?
    Just about everything. There are lots of open field challenges that are way beyond a single player's ability to confront, let alone defeat. Then there's dungeons, PvP areas, the later levels of field rifts... there's actually very little a single player can do in the grand scheme of things. You can play solo or with just a small number of friends for a portion of the game, but unless you get yourself in with a guild or a reliable group of 8+ players, you're never going to see most of the game content.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenrye View Post
    Just about everything. There are lots of open field challenges that are way beyond a single player's ability to confront, let alone defeat. Then there's dungeons, PvP areas, the later levels of field rifts... there's actually very little a single player can do in the grand scheme of things. You can play solo or with just a small number of friends for a portion of the game, but unless you get yourself in with a guild or a reliable group of 8+ players, you're never going to see most of the game content.
    That's an extreme exaggeration.

If you queue for random instant adventures and dungeons you do all that stuff.

Yeah, it's anecdotal, but I've yet to have an issue getting a group.

Zone events are usually packed with at least 2 raids in the max level zones.
    Hunt Rift groups are usually rolling around and aren't hard to find on my server.
    Dungeon queues are quick if you're a tank/healer, but as is the issue with games like this and WoW/SWTOR, dps have long queue times as they vastly outnumber tanks/healers.
    Daily Rift Raid groups are very common, with pug raids being slightly less common but still not terribly difficult to find (though the success is debatable)
    PvP, from what very little I've done, has quick queues as well.
    Instant adventures aren't too popular right now as the rewards aren't very good compared to other activities, but there are are usually a few going on.

There are plenty of progression methods via solo/small group; Dailies for IS's, Hunt/GHunt rifts, dungeons, and IA's are some sample self contained solo/small group content. What server are you playing on that you're not finding any groups?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenrye View Post
    You can play solo or with just a small number of friends for a portion of the game, but unless you get yourself in with a guild or a reliable group of 8+ players, you're never going to see most of the game content.
    This isn't really any different than any other MMO, if by 'most of the game content' you really mean end game content.

I've played by myself for 95% of my time and other than major/raid rifts I've handled it all superbly. I think the games is heavily balanced for solo play. And like HK mentioned, IA's are easy groups ready to thrash some mobs.

As a WoW player who has played since TBC and thru MoP, I can 100% say you should try Rift.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.