Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I have such an emotional bond to my Paladin, that I can't play other classes...

I have such an emotional bond to my Paladin, that I can't play other classes without regretting it, or disliking it when I start to gear up in dungeons. I've played my Paladin since LK and I've never played anything else, other than a Hunter who came before. I've also only healed, so me DPSing or Tanking a dungeon or anything makes me miss my Paladin. This is my 7th year playing WoW, and for the past 4+ years, I've been stuck with one character. How do you manage to play alts, please help me. I really want to play something else, but I've tried it all. #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS j/k...

During TBC I played a Prot/Ret paladin named Saavuori. When WotLK came out I created an exact copy of my Paladin, appearance-wise and named him Saavuorii. (I have since transferred servers so my DK dropped the extra i.)

Doing it this way made it so I didn't feel like I was playing a different character, but that my Paladin had become a Death Knight.

I later did the same thing with my monk alt, recreating a rogue I had as a monk.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still love my paladin, but I HATE playing ret... soo many buttons.
    And because my paladin's a Draenei Male, It's somehow really hard to find a decent transmogging-outfit

I have played my paladin for 7 years since the start. It took me about 2 years before I even wanted to make an alt. Sure I have tried alts - made a rogue/mage/priest - leveled them to about 30 and then let them gather dust and ultimately deleted them.

/played 450 days on my paladin now (I am sure there are more out that with equally insane or worse numbers). I wouldn't trade him for any other class. But I must say that after those 2 years I made a warrior alt. (my paladin was always healing, so especially when I needed to grind stuff this was annoying - no dualspec) - This guy I leveled to about 60 right before the end of vanilla. In TBC I let him gather dust again until I couldn't do anything more with my main (gear/repwise). Every expansion I leveled him to max level at the end mostly. But now I really enjoy my warrior. Ofcourse I am not going to trade him for my paladin - but at the moment if I had to make a choice between any other class (except my paladin) and my warrior to be my new main... I wouldn't hesitate in that choice.

Still holy paladins ftw
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-01-09 at 08:48 AM.

I hear what your saying. You kind of get permanently attached to all the work you put into perfecting one character but at the same time you want to try something new.

I myself can't level a character past lvl 12 if I don't have a decent name that makes sense with his race/class/spec and profession. Usually from old movies.

My advice to you if you really want to try making an alt is first not to do it at all, second ignore the first piece of advice and make a lot of small lvl 10 alts of different classes and which ever one wins your attention stick with that one. Just know that it will double you time playing Wow, drain you gold and triple your fun learning a new spec, understanding of strengths/weaknesses of other classes, and ability to give good advice to others when asked.

Oh I have like 6 90s... and rest are 85+ except a Mage. It's not that I can't level an alt, I enjoy leveling. It's fun and gets my mind off of things. It's just that when I want to raid with an alt, I get bored fast. All I think about is my Paladin. I judge other Paladins when I play alts. Either way. I guess the true answer to my own question is to just stick to the Paladin, if I enjoy it that much.

I have hunters of each race, except of for Gnomes, but that's just because they can't be Hunters.
    Last edited by Hyde; 2013-01-09 at 09:14 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ExLancer View Post
    I have such an emotional bond to my Paladin, that I can't play other classes without regretting it, or disliking it when I start to gear up in dungeons. I've played my Paladin since LK and I've never played anything else, other than a Hunter who came before. I've also only healed, so me DPSing or Tanking a dungeon or anything makes me miss my Paladin. This is my 7th year playing WoW, and for the past 4+ years, I've been stuck with one character. How do you manage to play alts, please help me. I really want to play something else, but I've tried it all. #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS j/k...
    I feel the same thing with my Shaman. I can't stay interested in any other character.

I'm getting that way with my Monk, now. Playing other classes makes me feel..."crippled." I can't roll. I can't flying kick. I don't have the mechanics I'm used to. Thing is, mine's more of a phase and certainly won't last for years.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Honestly, it's fine. That's how you choose to play, so go for it. What's important is being happy and having fun with what you're doing: some people are able to have multiple alts and play them all equally, while some can only play a single character, never anything else.

It's up to you and what kind of player you are. If you don't like alts, don't play them. No problems.

I've actually changed it up a little over my years playing WoW: I started off focused on a single character (Hunter), then towards the end of TBC I started switching characters. Played a Druid because my guild needed a tank, then switched to a Death Knight in 3.1. Back to the Hunter at the tail end of WotLK, which I played as my main throughout Cataclysm (though I was fairly casual compared to TBC/early WotLK). At the end of Cata, I played a ton of tank alts, but never really focused on anything.

And then the Monk came out. And I honestly cannot play anything else without being horribly bored. I've now become emotionally invested in this character, as you describe in the OP, and I just can't play alts for any significant amount of time. I've levelled a couple characters to 90 for extra farms/gold, but even those have just been left to the wayside. How I played this game without being a Monk before is beyond me!

So y'know. I understand your situation. And it's fine: or I hope it's fine, because I'm in the same boat now. :P

A character is a tool to do a job. I've stopped getting attached to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the same problem.....played a shaman for four years and wanted to do something different. What helped me was creating a character on the alliance side so I have

Shaman for Horde
    Paladin for Alliance

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I can level alts. I can go to raids on them. I can get them geared.

But I will never love them.

I love my Priest. Been playing her as my main since TBC. This is the one that has been left standing when all else, boss and friends, have hit the floor, while howls of celebration over Vent sound through my headset. She has been my representation for (what I think is) close to a year's worth of play time. The gear gathered, the achievements garnered, the bosses downed, Alliance smashed, all thanks to the powers of the Light or the Shadows cast. I have seen Warchiefs come and go. I have seen old heroes return, and some go to their final rest. Guilds form and disband. Friends changing names. But for me there will never be another.

The hardest thing about quitting (which will have to happen one day) will be to sever that connection.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    My Pally is also my main that I somhow put over every other class.
    The main reason I started playin' alts was beacause I wanted to see how well I can do with other classes and made myself subconsciously compete with friends who played that class as their main.
    At the moment my pally just comes first. He's the only character I do normal-raids with and theory craft him into the smallest details.

To answer your question:
    I play my alts when I had my "daily dose" of my pally (dailies, LFR, etc). At the moment I play them mostly to have some variety so I don't get bored of my main.
    Hope that helped

Druid since TBC. Played a mage before that. Tried leveling mage first this expansion. Mage is now abandoned on another server.

Tried to reroll dk in Cata, almost worked. Tried to reroll shammy recently, nope.

Druid for life.

I'm in the same boat as OP. First character was my hunter 4 years ago and I've stuck with it since then. For alts I pretty much only do LFR if I get bored during the week.

you are not alone OP.
    Been playing a warrior since 2006 and i cant see myself playing anything else.
    I am very attached to my Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    I still love my paladin, but I HATE playing ret... soo many buttons.
    And because my paladin's a Draenei Male, It's somehow really hard to find a decent transmogging-outfit
    If you haven't, check out the PVP gear in Dalaran. I forget what it's called but it's sold by the gear vendors by the AH there. There's a couple sets and they all have enough neutrality to swap out some pieces. Personally I like the set with the red cloth details.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's no way anyone can "help" you since you don't have any problem. If you don't want to play alts then don't play them. With the time you'll get bored of your paladin on those times when you don't have anything else to do with it.
    Then you'll find it easy.

Deleted
    I was like you, once.

It may be that you need the right preconditions for a cure. Like months and months of an end of expansion with only LFR Dragon Soul to do...

Or maybe you need to think how nice it would be to have every profession maxed on your characters. Think of all those gems, flasks, leg armors, enchants, glyphs etc that you will never need to buy.

The first active step towards a cure for me was rolling a Death Knight. You might think "What?! There's no way I could do that - DKs are EVIL and my paladin is the essence of lawful good." Well, that's part of the therapy - a sort of shock, to loosen your attachment. It's very important that you choose blood spec and mainly level by doing instances, because blood DK tanking is a thing of beauty. My palatank is still my first and main love, and palatanking is absolutely fine. But DK tanking is just awesome - such an elegant and powerful design. It was what inspired the current active mitigation design for all tanks but is still the best implementation, imo - it's got away from the pseudo-dps rotation model and instead gives you lots of interesting choices with the time to make them.

The next thing I would recommend after leveling a blood DK is to level a discipline priest. You say you've tanked and dpsed. Well, leveling disc priests can tank and dps 5-mans, all the while healing the party. It's tremendous fun - dpsing to heal. As you get to the end game, you can start to use a much wider arsenal of healing tools, being very capable at either tank healing or raid healing (or both). It's very different from tanking or dpsing, but I find it fascinating.

After that, start to fill out any remaining professions by leveling further alts. You got to have them all.

I have a couple more alts to get to 90, then I can't wait to level a panda monk (original, I know). Even after leveling a dozen or more alts, leveling can still be fun. (Except the 85-90 part - I've done that too often too recently.)