Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ever pretend to be dumber / noobier / etc. than you actually are?

Question of conscience for every mature and experienced player out there.
    Have you ever pretended to be dumber / noobier / etc. than you actually are, for whatever reason?

Perhaps because you didn't feel like explaining a fight to your group once they got wind you were the one person who knew what he was doing?
    Perhaps not to indimidate your LFG partymembers because you know the meaning of the word eloquence?
    Maybe you were covering up for a stupid mistake in PVP, and your hunter went into full huntard mode?
    Maybe you're trying to fit in with the raving lunatic kids you play this game with, and now feel a little bit filthy for typing "omg lol" a couple times?
    Or perhaps this is your #1 trolling technique, you suave bastard you?

Personally I'm at least guilty of the first example. In my defense, I was tired and grumpy and knew the fight could brute-forced through. Only took 5 minutes for their patience "who knos teh fight lol" to wear thin enough for them to pull, and succeed.

Anyone else feel like confessing?
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Question of conscience for every mature and experienced player out there.
    Have you ever pretended to be dumber / noobier / etc. than you actually are, for whatever reason?

Perhaps because you didn't feel like explaining a fight to your group once they got wind you were the one person who knew what he was doing?
    Perhaps not to indimidate your LFG partymembers because you know the meaning of the word eloquence?
    Maybe you were covering up for a stupid mistake in PVP, and your hunter went into full huntard mode?
    Maybe you're trying to fit in with the raving lunatic kids you play this game with, and now feel a little bit filthy for typing "omg lol" a couple times?
    Or perhaps this is your #1 trolling technique, you suave bastard you?

Personally I'm at least guilty of the first example. In my defense, I was tired and grumpy and knew the fight could brute-forced through. Only took 5 minutes for their patience "who knos teh fight lol" to wear thin enough for them to pull, and succeed.

Anyone else feel like confessing?
    Oh I have done this many times. But it is hard to do so when your guild is well known or you are. Now with LFR/LFD you can be a newb (mainly on alts, due to your main being decked in heroic epics). Mainly tried to appear noobish when a mistake was made on my side due to being distracted by something else in RL. For example if I was supposed to dps adds on my warrior but I am dpsing the boss instead - I could get nasty /w or comments in /p. I would say that I was new (which my warrior at the moment is). Unfortunately if they really check my achievements.... Then again I always play a healer not a dpser...

But yes my patience sometimes wears thin... Especially in Wrath... when we were for example in CoStratholme... I would just continue to pull cause the tank (a DK) was waiting on EVERY cooldown to be available again otherwise he couldn't tank. So after a few pulls like that he said: "right you pull it you tank it". This was on my paladin. As I was decked in heroics I said "cocky" - dude even if you pull half the instance I wouldn't die in this gear and would keep everyone alive. Just keep pulling you dont need every cooldown available. The group at this time laughed and said: "Yes that is probably true."

That said, I almost never behave like this - I usually frown very much on pulling by others then the tank or even being cocky. But this particular tank just got under my skin by him being passive as hell. That said, since the group agreed with me the tank pulled as we wanted and it went fine. Afterwards he told me that he was just very unsure and very happy we pushed him over the edge.

Deleted
    No.

I am too good and my pride is too high.

Plus i dont like slowing down others, im not a baddie.

Talking about tactics and explaining...

When again in Wrath and the more advanced guilds always were expected to be handing out tactics... I just refused. I was on an offday from "real raiding" and wasn't about to try and get a pug at the same level or even decently organised. Let someone else do it. Maybe it would have been good for the guild if I did hand out tactics, recruitmentwise but really I do like my "offtime".

I never really bothered in WoW, but in all aspects of real life I never, ever give away the true measure of my intelligence. It's fun to see the difference in the way people treat you when they think you're an idiot as opposed to knowing how smart you actually are.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    Nope.
    Never purposefully acted like a noob, still have moments of not knowing something and facepalming after I find out I've been doing it wrong for months though.
    I don't make excuses if I fuck up. Although usually the reason I fuck up has some explanation.

All the time, ingame and irl. A force of habit I'd like to get rid of.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Deleted
    Yeah I do this fair often, it makes me wonder if other noobs I see are actually not noobs but just cba acting good.

Deleted
    Just 30 minutes ago when some poor guy really really tried his best in a dungeon to be the top DPS, using flasks, potions and all.
    So I just didn't cast any Chaos Bolts or Shadowburns and let him win.

Quite often actually. Just too much of a hassle to explain stuff.

Just sit back and enjoy the run. Except if things drag on like forever when I help just to get it over with so I can leave this raid/dungeon/etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    I spend all my time trying to avoid looking like a noob, going the opposite direction never really crossed my mind.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2013-01-09 at 12:05 PM.

Well i have my boob bonus cause i'm female. So i don't need to play dumb. I just say sorry i'm female *insert cute face here* and i get all the loot anyways

10+ Year Old Account
    I always say in LFD that I should control my damage better (and not pull aggro)...in fact I usually do 45% of the groups damage, that's why ;-)

Deleted
    my 3s team used to backpedal to the enemy teams when the gates opened at 2400+ ratings just to confuse them

Quote Originally Posted by Primula View Post
    Well i have my boob bonus cause i'm female. So i don't need to play dumb. I just say sorry i'm female *insert cute face here* and i get all the loot anyways
    >_>

Maybe because i watched Golden boy when i was 12 this type of behavior has never worked on me. It actually annoys me.

On topic: I never felt the need to pretend to be dumber then i am in game. Real life however i totally different. When the boss is wrong and tries to scold you you just shut up and take all the blame. Every good idea he takes from you was always his... Being a smart ass in school is not that beneficial either, you can avoid a lot of fights if you dont go around correcting people.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-01-09 at 01:43 PM.

I never pretend to be a noob. But if im in a 5 man and people start to ask me for tactics I just ignore them and tab over to my other screen till they sort their shit out. 9 times out of 10 my damage will carry them anyway, but im not gonna waste my time telling tactics for something that they can easily find in the dungeon journal.

Yes, most of the time if not all. I mostly don't correct people or help them unless I feel like they really won't be able to do something without the assistance. I don't respond unless people really push at it from me. My guild sorta knows that they could ask me anything and I'd probably have an answer, but I don't go out of my way and generally avoid answering because I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, or intimidate, get someone involved with complexities, or simply entice someone.

As Cybran mentioned, I feel this mentality has helped me for becoming a great suckup to the boss. My, he has some great ideas and I really appreciate working under his genius.

Ahem... let's have a moment of silence for Leroy Jenkins. He died for our sick enjoyment.

Information is one of the biggest weapons, so is misinformation one of its best counters.
    Sure this is beeing done on a daily basis by a large amount of people.

no. i have no respect for anyone who plays dumb whether it be another guy or a chick looking for attention. playing dumb is the ultimate form of laziness