Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Teams have been complaining about how the tyres are crap for their car and give other teams an advantage since the first races over half a century ago. Yes, the Pirellis wear down faster this year, but some teams are doing just fine with them. Nobody has ever done a race at 100% for the whole distance; for example if you tried that with a car from the 1970s, the gearbox would quite simple melt and fuse together or the clutch would disintegrate.

The AMG Mercedes has always been hard on the rear tyres. Red Bull are complaining because they think that the tyres are holding them back. However, some cars are doing just fine. If all the cars, even the light-on-tyres Lotuses, were having massive trouble with the tyre disintegrating then they should change them. Pirelli definitely needs to sort out the de-lamination that has occurred frequently, that could (and eventually will) lead to a massive accident.

Could the tyres do with being a little more resilient? Perhaps. Should it happen just because Red Bull Racing and AMG Mercedes want it to? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, watching first practice and some excellent last second breaking from Chilton just avoided what would have been one of the most dangerous crashes in recent times.

Massa in the racing line breaks at the absolute last second with Chilton 2 seconds behind him, cuts right across the track and dives into the pit lane. Chilton's breaking reflexes pretty much saved us from a Ferrari getting broadsided. Utterly mental.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    The FIA has put a stop to Pirelli's plans to change the tyres.

Incredibly disappointing decision, but then considering how incompetent and idiotic the FIA and the fanbase have been as of late (ever since the second half of last year, and especially apparent this year), it's not too much of a surprise.

Until the FIA gets a considerable restructuring (as in, firing most of its personnel), I am done with the sport.
    Don't let the door hit you on your way. The whole tyre QQ was idiotic from the beginning. It's a strange thing how some do not have any issues with them at all while those who apparently can't learn to build/work/drive around them should supposedly have the right to affect how the whole thing is dealt with.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Don't let the door hit you on your way. The whole tyre QQ was idiotic from the beginning. It's a strange thing how some do not have any issues with them at all while those who apparently can't learn to build/work/drive around them should supposedly have the right to affect how the whole thing is dealt with.
    There is a long way to fall if you spend a long time at the top. Red Bull are just throwing a hissy fit because they might not sell as many cans of overpriced sugar-water.

Lap times compared to qualifying lap times have the same delta for the last four years. Drivers aren't having to drive at 50% all the time, and they haven't ever driven a whole race at 100%.

If Perez doesn't get a grid penalty for Montreal, I don't know. Fucking disgrace that Alonso had to give the overtake to him.

Deleted
    So disappointed in what Mercedes did to Hamilton. As soon as Webber pitted I was thinking "They have to pitt both cars or they will lose a position". As soon as Massa crashed I was screaming at the TV for Mercedes to pitt the drivers, instead they wait until the SC is out (almost 2 laps later) and make Hamilton lose the positions because he has to sit behind Rosberg in the pitts because they were doing a double car stop.

Its such a shame that a 'professional' team can make the same mistakes over and over. There was no risk in pitting when everyone else did because they already had less degradation (So their primes would also last longer), why take the risk?

---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 03:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If Perez doesn't get a grid penalty for Montreal, I don't know. Fucking disgrace that Alonso had to give the overtake to him.
    Exactly, they could hear him asking on the radio if he should give him the position, if they wanted him to they should have just told Ferrari as soon as he asked. Instead they give him the penalty 15 laps later?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what the hell Perez was doing in this race, trying to squeeze into all kinds of gaps that didn't really exist. He robbed Räikkönen of a better points scoring finish because of it. Atleast he paid for it, biggest smile ever on my face when Button blocked him from coming into the pits and he had to retire, haha.

Grosjean being his usual self and colliding spectacularly as a result of yet another driver error. Lotus' patience with him must be wearing quite thin these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell was with Massa, making the same mistake twice in as many days?

Not as bad as Romain "Trash four cars" Grosjean. He's not going to last past this season at Lotus at this rate.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clampy that was Hamilton's doing not the teams halfway through the race Mercedes director told Sky it wasn't teams orders to slow him down he was fine at the gap he was at, it was probably pay back for the Malaysian GP.

Asked if the drivers would talk to Perez, Raikkonen said: "That won't help. Maybe someone should punch him in the face."
    In other news, Grosjean has been given a 10 place grid penalty for Montreal.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laffling View Post
    Clampy that was Hamilton's doing not the teams halfway through the race Mercedes director told Sky it wasn't teams orders to slow him down he was fine at the gap he was at, it was probably pay back for the Malaysian GP.
    That makes no sense. He was already behind Rosberg...he had no reason to put in a slow in-lap unless the yellow flags were waving at all around the track. That's possible of course. With refueling out of F1, there's pretty much no advantage in staying out an extra lap when the yellow is out. It used to be that everyone would top off their cars with fuel early in a race to minimize their need to pit at green flag speeds, but that is history.

It completely ruined his race when he had been running ahead of the RBR cars.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2013-05-26 at 10:52 PM.

The only time it is worth staying out is if you can lap a second or two faster than the competition because their race engineers fucked up and slotted them right behind some traffic and you have half a kilometre of clean air ahead of you.

edit:

adamcooperf1 Adam Cooper
    #F1 Here's the note from the FIA that in effect confirms that Mercedes - and maybe Pirelli - are in the s**t: pic.twitter.com/KGIzHBe4e
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-05-27 at 12:54 AM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22692763

Felipe Massa's crash during the race was due to a suspension failure, not a driver error.

Is there anywhere I can watch the monaco grand prix without having to download it? I was abroad during the weekend and sadly I missed it. I've been searching for the full race video like a madman for a couple of days now, and I would really appreciate some help.

Not worth it IMO, was a pretty dull procession. Like every Monaco GP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Boring race tbh good race for Alonso and boring for vettel tho but if alonso or hamilton started from pole i doubt it wouldnt have been boring.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Yeah, it wasn't particularly exciting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22835503

In-season testing to return from next year onwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    A marshal has died after being run over by the crane recovering Esteban Gutierrez's car at the end of the Canadian Grand Prix

Full FIA statement :

"The FIA is sad to announce the death of a Formula One Grand Prix du Canada circuit worker, at 6:02 pm.

"The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l'Île Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon's Formula One Grand Prix du Canada. The worker was helping to recover a car which had stopped during the race. The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up. As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.

"The worker was transported via helicopter to Sacre-Coeur Hospital where he was treated by the traumatology department of Dr Ronald Denis, Deputy Chief Medical Officer and Dr Jacques Bouchard, Chief Medical Officer of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the worker succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.

"The FIA, l'Automobile Club de l'Île Notre-Dame and the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time."

Oh wow, I bet Gutierrez is feeling cut up about that, as it was his car the guy was helping to remove from the track.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Oh wow, I bet Gutierrez is feeling cut up about that, as it was his car the guy was helping to remove from the track.
    It's not as clear cut as a marshal being struck by debris, like in Australia in 2001 and Italy in 2000. This was simply (and tragically) a freak accident that happened after the race. It would have easily been Hulkenberg's Sauber or Van Der Garde's Caterham being craned back, or even simply moving the crane back to the pits when the accident happened.