Deleted

How to 'gear up' in GW2

Hi,

Is there a posting on how to gear up in GW2?

By that I mean how to obtain ascended/exotic gear.

As an example, I'm playing a ranger and am using the power/precision/condition damage or crit gear for my 'build'

I reviewed some of the exotic gear sets like Arcon, Armageddon, Aurora, Mortal, Rubicon and Whispering and none of these pieces had the stats I was looking for.

The alternative I can see is to craft all my own gear as I'm currently decked out in 77-80 green and blues, so hopefully the huntsman profession will give me the lvl 80 gear with the correct stats.

I've got about 11k karma and <1 gold so buying the stuff of the AH isn't going to work for me.

In short, if I'm needing the stats of power/precision/condition damage/crit, where do I find the best gear?

Cheers,
    Sonof

Ascended gear is obtainable from the Fractal dungeons in Lions Arch, although this may take some time, you should probably get your own mats for crafting. Just look through exotic gear and find the one which has the one with your stat needs and if your using a build someone else made, they should be able to tell you what armor their using and where to get it.

Deleted
    I'm in the exact same position with my ranger, and after doing a little research I came to the conclusion that buying vendor Exotic sets with gold was one possibility - I saw some sets going for around 10-15g for the main slots, which felt achievable considering I currently have a little over 2g at lvl 32 - or buying vendor Exotic sets with karma, which meant grinding 252k karma (via the Daily Achievement mainly which nets a Jug of Liquid Karma worth 4.5k - 7.8k depending on boosters).

So im saving all my karma until 80, TP'ing all crafting mats and using drops plus bought Masterwork gear from the TP while I level. At my current rate of progress I should hit 80 in a few more weeks, and have most of the karma for a set of exotics when I do. Excess gold will probably go to crafting or filling gaps with TP crafted exotics.
    Last edited by mmoce5bb4403c1; 2013-01-09 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can look here to see if the leatherworking recipes offer the stats you are looking for (cost-gold or farm mats):

http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/leatherworker

You can go to Fort Mariner in Lion's Arch and look at the different dungeon sets to see if they have the stats you need (cost- zero gold/farm dungeons for tokens).

You can check the corrupted god temple karma vendors for different stats (cost- zero gold/farm karma):

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_armor_sets

I purchased the god temple armors with karma. I didn't do any strict karma farming, just played the game - it accrues quickly. I've since made 2 other exotic sets with tailoring.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    I'm in the same place with my ranger The various Orders give armour sets which are achievable purchased with gold, about 9g for a set according to the wiki. For farming karma, my method is to do the Daily achievement every day, which nets you a Jug of Liquid Karma that gives between 4.5k and 7.8k karma depending on boosters. A few weeks of that while i level should be enough

Deleted
    Karizee,

Thanks for the links, really appreciate those.

Looks like it's crafting or running dungeons forever to get the set I want

I was in the order of whisperers and that gives stats I'm not really needing right now, thanks Kerome
    Last edited by mmoc97af2d3628; 2013-01-09 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by sonof View Post
    Hi,

Is there a posting on how to gear up in GW2?

By that I mean how to obtain ascended/exotic gear.

As an example, I'm playing a ranger and am using the power/precision/condition damage or crit gear for my 'build'

I reviewed some of the exotic gear sets like Arcon, Armageddon, Aurora, Mortal, Rubicon and Whispering and none of these pieces had the stats I was looking for.

The alternative I can see is to craft all my own gear as I'm currently decked out in 77-80 green and blues, so hopefully the huntsman profession will give me the lvl 80 gear with the correct stats.

I've got about 11k karma and <1 gold so buying the stuff of the AH isn't going to work for me.

In short, if I'm needing the stats of power/precision/condition damage/crit, where do I find the best gear?

Cheers,
    Sonof
    Hi, since you're a ranger I'd like to give you some advice.
    Power/prec/condi isn't worth the hastle for a gear set. If you're going for condition based (read traps +shortbow and sword/torch) your power will be very lackluster. The issue with power is that it scales from critical damage and unlike other games the critical damage multiplier starts off at 1,5 and not 2,0. This means that you need to get +0,5crit damage on your gear for power to become (more) effective (and SB doesn't require the high amounts of crit to keep conditions up since most of it comes from traps/weapons automatically).

So, you still want to play with conditions, go with Condi/prec/toughness.
    => weird right, Meledelion the hater of survival gear says to grab gear with toughness.... That's due to runes of the undead being the "best" condition damage runes out there atm for rangers. Also you can use Master Tuning Crystals in PvE to help you out even more you can also check other consumables
    Buuuut. Condition damage is lousy in dungeons due to how it works in groups + your pet's condition damage doesn't scale with yours meaning that whatever pet you use to get a (combo field) poison won't be that effective.

So we're left with the last possible gear set: Berserker which is clearly the easiest to get if you can choose between berserker and Rabid here's why.
    Berserker can be farmed in CoF (explo) which gives you 69emblems in 5min(path 1) + 66 emblems in 15min (path 2) the first time you run them per day. The second time you'll get 36 in 5min(path1) + 33 in 15min (path2) = 204 emblems in 40mins by far the fastest way of farming dungeon gear.
    But another bonus is that you can buy whatever gear you don't have from TP (or craft it yourself) which you can't do for rabid.
    A note on this though. If you're buying gear from TP start off with jewelery=>weapons=>armor.

Getting ascended gear is a combination of two things, time and money. For the rings you simply need to get a daily reward (lvl 10+, 20+,30+,...)10times and you will get one ring which you can choose freely, there is also a chance that you already get a ring from the daily reward, so this is clearly time related.

The backs however are a different story. For the first method you need to farm 1850 fractal relics + 500 fractal relics to get the infused back piece. For the second method you need 50ecto + 250fine mats (eg powerful blood) + 250ecto and 500fractal relics for the infused back piece.

Deleted
    Meledelion,

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm playing a hybrid ranger then as I'm playing longbow rather than shortbow and using traps/rapidfire for burst. My second set of weapons are axe/axe as I always use traps to slow/kite and never get in melee range

I had presumed therefore that crit was good for longbow and condition damage for the traps, hence my stat choices

As you state:
    "The issue with power is that it scales from critical damage" would I therefore be better off :

a) changing my gameplay style to shortbow/traps (but have sort of got used to longbow)
    b) looking for more crit if I stay with the longbow and not using traps
    c) Researching the ranger playstyle further (if so, would you have a link to hand please?)

Cheers again,
    sonof

a) short bow traps if you really want to stick with condition damage (this would mean getting Rabid gear)
    b) do not ever use the longbow, the short bow does more damage (even if you go with Berserker gear) and you don't need to be at max range. A popular short bow berserker build is "signet of the hunt" "signet of the wild" "quickening zephyr" "Rampage As One(elite)"
    c) is always the best option, everything I say is based on data/experiences up until now. We might find whole new data tomorrow or in a week, month,... official ranger forums. It's going to be rough to find the numbers again but they're in there (somewhere). Other options are Reddit and gw2guru the crit build on top there is "interesting" but there are things I disagree with (I hardly ever agree with anyone ) And the most important thing to do, take everything with a grain of salt.

P.S.: If you really like the feel of a certain weapon (LB) there's no reason to not use it unless you're into maximising your damage.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-01-09 at 05:45 PM.

It's pretty simple.

1. Get to 80.
    2. Farm DEs in Orr.
    3. Sell all materials.
    4. Salvage anything not an exotic and worse than what you are wearing.
    5. Buy an exotic set off the AH.

Alternatively you can grind dungeons for token to turn in for gear, use your karma from DEs on exotics or keep your materials to craft an exotic set.

You should be looking at the Wiki for exact listings of anything: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List...0_Exotic_Armor

The Guild Wars series has relied on a robust wiki more so than other MMOs for years now. 9 out of 10, that should be the first place you look.

Do note you can type /wiki <search term> within the game's chat box to open that page directly.

orr can be boring as it tends to have tens of people zerging events at peak hours, moreso if you try keeping up with either zerg movements or/and all these aoes which tend to make minons go from 100 to 0 in seconds, leaving you very little time to tag them by doing enough damage yourself.

that said, fencers is about right but on one thing : i woudn't waste my money salvaging anything but white junk (occasionally blues to free up bag space if you really need to) as masterwork items (green) is usually worth more sold to merchants than the mats you'll get. rares may be salvaged if you need ectos or sold on TP for about 20-40s depending on stats.

but well, exotic set is far from being mandatory (it's just not) and most fights can be beaten in blue/greens (granted, you might really want agony resist for lvl 20+ fractals but that's about the only exception atm and that only applies to boss as trash doesn't inflict agony condition).

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost forgot,

You get exotics for map completion in the Orr zones, Frostgorge Sound and Mt Maelstrom if I remember correctly. Prolly won't be the stats you want but you can sell them and buy the ones you do want.
    Valar morghulis

Grinding, quests, and dungeons are probably the best option in my opinion

Deleted
    Meledelion,
    Thanks for the links, these are appreciated. Looks like I'll need to re-do the whole way I play a ranger, which is slightly disappointing as I do enjoy the longbow and traps.

I note that in the berserker build though, traps are not used, just signets. I'll also need to re-do all my traits.

Fencers/Karizee,
    Thanks for the info on DE's and map completion for extra gold and rare armors; I'll get going on these.

Maarius,
    That link really helps, thank you

To all others that have posted helpful information, thank you very much