View Poll Results: Could a Flying fatigue be the right solution?

Voters
328. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it could be

    54 16.46%
  • Don't think so

    276 84.15%
  • Maybe (explain)

    24 7.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,394
    Flying mounts are not a problem so there's no 'solution' required. Besides which, the other poll and preliminary results from this one show that they're popular as is and changing things to make the game less convenient isn't going to go down well. QOL really does matter.

    If it's exploration you're after then explore on the ground to your heart's content. If it's more PVP that you're after, from what I read there's plenty enough of that around if you know where to look.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-09 at 04:39 PM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  2. #42
    No means No! 90% is pretty damned high amount of no, theres no need to translate it so that it fits your world view. Stop trying to force 90% of us to play your way.
    The questions was different to be honest and I don't have forced anybody, I just asked.
    The answer is 999% no? Okay. My interest was knowing what you think about it.
    "So long! And thanks for all the fish!"

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    the people who can't live without flying mounts also fast travel in skyrim. a game is nothing but a honey-do list that they like to check off. they like completing them, not doing them. they're the kid who never grows up and realizes that the best part of christmas was the buildup, the time between thanksgiving and xmas when you knew your presents were hidden somewhere in the house and it ate you alive

    that's the good part though

    this generation is a bunch of whiny fucks who want it all now and that's all they want. ANYTHING that is bad. it's why gaming is so damn queer today
    And your generation is nothing but arrogant and self-righteous people who care about nothing but themselves. Now is that a fair assumption? Haven't we learned that generalizing entire groups is a bad idea? How about we get a bit more constructive there, champ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Wasn't it in Aion that wings only worked a certain amount of time? Ask yourself how popular that was....
    2nd most popular MMO of all fucking time
    i'd say the 4-5 million it peaked at was pretty damn good. remove the fluff from wow that all the casuals log in for, like pokemon, and you end up with less than 4-5 million i bet

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    2nd most popular MMO of all fucking time
    i'd say the 4-5 million it peaked at was pretty damn good. remove the fluff from wow that all the casuals log in for, like pokemon, and you end up with less than 4-5 million i bet
    As I'm sure you can understand by the type of thread you're posting in, just because a game is popular doesn't mean every idea in it is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    And your generation is nothing but arrogant and self-righteous people who care about nothing but themselves. Now is that a fair assumption? Haven't we learned that generalizing entire groups is a bad idea? How about we get a bit more constructive there, champ?
    every generatlization, stereotype, etc, has a root in fact. always have, always will. the generalization that generation "we're all winners if we just try" is that you're soft little chickenshits who can't stand NOT having your way when it comes to games, life, whatever

    hell ESPN just ran a segment about how coaches have to change and be easier with athletes today because they can't take confrontation, being yelled at, fuck, BEING COACHED

    that's the generation i'm talking about. you have NEVER had to work for shit. you don't know HOW to work for shit. then you bitch when you're given a product that doesn't want you to work for shit and just gives you everything left and right.

    you folks get as bored with it as i do. you're just not smart enough to know why

    Moderator note: There's nothing about this post that even mildly addresses the topic of the thread. Please stay on topic and post constructively. - ML
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-09 at 04:42 PM.

  7. #47
    2nd most popular MMO of all fucking time
    I LOL'd a bit

    I all fairness I still think it's quite an exageration to measure the quality of a feature using the success of a MMO.
    There could be a thousand more reason so it's quite a weak argument, sorry.
    "So long! And thanks for all the fish!"

  8. #48
    Elemental Lord Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    8,419
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    2nd most popular MMO of all fucking time
    i'd say the 4-5 million it peaked at was pretty damn good. remove the fluff from wow that all the casuals log in for, like pokemon, and you end up with less than 4-5 million i bet
    What does it matter, flying mounts are an integral part of the game nowadays, even nerfing them as the Op suggests won't change a damn thing, people will just use flying routes, instead of wasting their time crawling through a zone they have seen hundreds of times.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  9. #49
    These threads seem to share the assumption that I enjoy the map from ground view. My continued experience is that I do not. Thanks anyway, but it's bad enough I get flying taken away from me every expansion for no reason. Then for justification I hear that the developers want me to "see the content". It's a real possibility that the content is a dud. Quit trying to channel me forcefully into gameplay I don't enjoy.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post

    And travel being convenient does make the world feel small because you just fly really high and then auto "run" and go get your drink. There's no danger of being ganked, there's no interesting scenery because the game doesn't load half of the things on the ground. You don't experience those traveling vendors, the occasional open world PvP, or helping random people and making new friends.
    Stop speaking for everyone, because you don't. Just because you fly up high and hit auto run while getting a drink does not mean that everyone does. I tend to fly just above the tree line and I enjoy the scenery just fine from above. You do not represent everyone, you only represent yourself. Everyone has their own preferred playstyle and who do you think you are trying to tell everyone else to play your way?

    If you don't like it then don't use your flying mount.

  11. #51
    I am Murloc! Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    5,892
    And travel being convenient does make the world feel small because you just fly really high and then auto "run" and go get your drink.
    You can do the same while using a flightpath...

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Wizard- (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    As I'm sure you can understand by the type of thread you're posting in, just because a game is popular doesn't mean every idea in it is great.
    what the hell does your reply have jack shit to do with anything? the idea damn sure didn't hurt anything. a grindy asian MMO is the #2 MMO of all time in both profit and subs. they didn't pander to casuals. they told casuals to blow them. and they still peaked over 4,000,000 subs.

    vanilla wow had no flying mounts. you ran a LOT. you didn't even get a mount until level 40 and it was slow as shit. no guild perks. and it did well.

    WHY? it attracted people who wanted to PLAY it.
    it's not nostalgia that wow had no flying mounts the first 2 years of existence, or that people didn't care, or that people HAD to be out in the world more so they were. it's just facts. the game changed a lot in BC.

    the memories most people have of vanilla/bc have nothing to do with the time they spent flying over the game or bypassing it.

  13. #53
    I am Murloc! Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    5,892
    they told casuals to blow them. and they still peaked over 4,000,000 subs.
    Yeah.. IN ASIA.

    AION was nothing but a flop in the western world, especially in Europe.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Wizard- (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  14. #54
    You can do the same while using a flightpath...
    This is what I call a rock solid argument. touche'.
    "So long! And thanks for all the fish!"

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Stop speaking for everyone, because you don't. Just because you fly up high and hit auto run while getting a drink does not mean that everyone does. I tend to fly just above the tree line and I enjoy the scenery just fine from above. You do not represent everyone, you only represent yourself. Everyone has their own preferred playstyle and who do you think you are trying to tell everyone else to play your way?

    If you don't like it then don't use your flying mount.
    nobody who flies does it for ANY REASON other than "hurrying to point A"
    you're soft. i'm soft. we're all soft because we're all lazy. we ALL take the path of least resistance and when that path is from MH to SFK at level 19, you ran it. took half an hour or more depending on how many times you died in AH, but you ran it, and along the way you encountered shit that wasn't planned in any way. wasn't predictable. and could be really awesome.

    that's what we're ALL missing by being such lazy, soft fuckers.

    hell i got out and walked that the other day and didn't see but 1 guy who tried to borrow gold. choosing to not fly doesn't recreate what we're missing.
    you get FP for free now. killing flying mounts off would slow the pace down and if people quit, they weren't here to play wow anyway.

    but until they have the balls to kill botting, they won't have the balls to do anything about flying mounts so who cares i guess.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    The "world" isn't full, it's just a few high level zones where people are forced to do mountains of dailies each day, so you see excessive numbers of people crammed into single zones.

    It's their fault the a vast majority of the game is done through placement systems that don't require you to do anything other than click a button?

    And travel being convenient does make the world feel small because you just fly really high and then auto "run" and go get your drink. There's no danger of being ganked, there's no interesting scenery because the game doesn't load half of the things on the ground. You don't experience those traveling vendors, the occasional open world PvP, or helping random people and making new friends.

    Do I think getting rid of flying mounts is the answer? No, but they do lower personal enjoyment of the game greatly all for simple convenience.
    If you want the world to be "full" in your sense, it would require more people. However whenever I'm out and about I see people. People hang out in the halfhill market. I see people running around questing or doing their dailies, moreso than I see people just sitting around two moons doing nothing. I'd say that's a good enough reason to say that the world's full. There are way more people out in the world than in the city.

    What you're asking isn't for the world to be larger. You want people to be more wary and in danger. In reality, all hubs have a flight path, so really your point is fairly moot, since you can go the majority of your journey and be completely safe from ganking and the like. On top of that, flying allows for the multi-tiered zone mapping that Blizzard has used, which allows for parts of the world to be mainly for endgame players, while still allowing the zone to be used for leveling as well. Sure, you can use taxis to the same effect, but those are boring. That's why we got flying mounts in the first place... because players like to have control. And if you can't see interesting scenery when in the air, you'd do better to get a better video card or fly lower, than try and get flying mounts removed... there's plenty of beautiful scenery you can see from the skies. If you choose to ignore it, that's your business. I don't, though.

    By the way, you see traveling vendors just fine from the sky, you just can't be flying near the height cap. You can absolutely help others and make new friends while still having your flying mount. Ultimately, this is obviously your opinion, and if they really lower your enjoyment of the game (they certainly don't for me. They add to it.), then you can just take them off your hotbar and only use them when you need to. Nobody's stopping you.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah.. IN ASIA.

    AION was nothing but a flop in the western world, especially in Europe.
    i read that aion had over 1.5 million subs in NA/EU vs the 3-4 million wow has in that same area today
    aion is the #2 MMO of all time whether you like it, agree with it or not. take that fanboi shit out of here. i don't give a flying fuck about your feelings in this. it's reality. it's #2 and it didn't casualize the fuck out of everything like wow

    so it's a little bit of proof that you don't have to blow your fanbase and then mail them purple pixels to succeed.
    blizz has changed shit so much the past 3 years because they KNOW that they can't go in the "me love casuals long time" direction. they have to gate content a bit, but maybe not with dailies

    guess what would slow the fuck out of everything we do?
    walking

    but like i said, they lack the balls to do it

  18. #58
    Stood in the Fire Flalia4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    449
    Here's an idea. Instead of removing flying mounts how about you people fly close to the ground. I do it all the time if i wanna enjoy the scenery. Fly below the tree line get all the view with the speed of flying and you can see horde easier to gank them.

  19. #59
    No, seriously. Another whine fest about flying. It all read to me like other people want my game experience to be way more inconvenient and way less fun so I can run around in the backround of their screen while they level. Screw that.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    If you want the world to be "full" in your sense, it would require more people. However whenever I'm out and about I see people. People hang out in the halfhill market. I see people running around questing or doing their dailies, moreso than I see people just sitting around two moons doing nothing. I'd say that's a good enough reason to say that the world's full. There are way more people out in the world than in the city.

    What you're asking isn't for the world to be larger. You want people to be more wary and in danger. In reality, all hubs have a flight path, so really your point is fairly moot, since you can go the majority of your journey and be completely safe from ganking and the like. On top of that, flying allows for the multi-tiered zone mapping that Blizzard has used, which allows for parts of the world to be mainly for endgame players, while still allowing the zone to be used for leveling as well. Sure, you can use taxis to the same effect, but those are boring. That's why we got flying mounts in the first place... because players like to have control. And if you can't see interesting scenery when in the air, you'd do better to get a better video card or fly lower, than try and get flying mounts removed... there's plenty of beautiful scenery you can see from the skies. If you choose to ignore it, that's your business. I don't, though.

    By the way, you see traveling vendors just fine from the sky, you just can't be flying near the height cap. You can absolutely help others and make new friends while still having your flying mount. Ultimately, this is obviously your opinion, and if they really lower your enjoyment of the game (they certainly don't for me. They add to it.), then you can just take them off your hotbar and only use them when you need to. Nobody's stopping you.
    well, a 1-90 /who shows 100-150 people in sw/org at any given time on my server
    never seen more than 15 people in a zone
    but yeah, i guess you're right. with CRZ and adding up ALL the zones in wow, there are more people in the world

    but there are NEVER more people in any 1 zone so what the fuck does it matter? if bill and bob are in STV, how the fuck does that affect me anywhere outside of STV?

    it doesn't. when YOU are out and about, you aren't running into people like you did in vanilla. you might see their fucking shadow fly over though.......

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 10:52 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordredofmia View Post
    No, seriously. Another whine fest about flying. It all read to me like other people want my game experience to be way more inconvenient and way less fun so I can run around in the backround of their screen while they level. Screw that.
    your game experience should be inconvenient. it's a game. it's a world. it's inconvenient for me that i can't piss right now where i'm sitting, but i deal

    you'd deal too

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •