Poll: Which expansion had the best PvP?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Which expansion had the best PvP?

Whenever I say PvP was better back in BC, people come out of the woodwork to say it's just nostalgia and I'm looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses. Then, they inevitably parrot the line "In BC everyone wanted vanilla back, in Wrath everyone wanted BC back, in Cata everyone wanted Wrath back, and in MoP everyone will want Cata back."

I've never encountered these mythical people who are supposedly wishing for the days of Wrath and Cata to come again. Are you out there? Or is it true that the majority of PvPers feel PvP has declined overall since the earlier days?

And yes, I know vanilla isn't an expansion...
    Last edited by konway; 2013-01-09 at 04:27 PM.

Each expansion comes with its good and its bad, and the bad changes are the ones that really stand out in the moment. I probably complained as much as anyone about WotLK while I was playing it, but looking back on it the elimination of non-viable specs was one of the best changes in design philosophy this game has ever made. Cataclysm was garbage and I'd never wish for it or anything that happened in it to come back, but I don't think I'd be completely opposed to playing WotLK, given the option of a different server in perpetual Wrath or something. The elimination of PvE gear in PvP is really nice, but Wrath had an arguably more exciting pvp design. It's just too straightforward now--watch for and shut down offensive cooldowns. Once they're on cooldown the game goes into a really tedious stalemate mode, which isn't exactly exciting.

Deleted
    i liked wrath as an expansion, and apart from early wrath with dks and rets 2hitting everyone i tihnk it had the best pvp (would do anything for old wintergrasp back!). Cata pvp wasn't too bad either for the most part. vanilla and TBc, while fun they probably had the most unbalanced pvp. overall i think wrath pvp was best.

Wrath, loved the pvp on my warrior then, lots off fun in Wintergrasp.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Wrath, loved the pvp on my warrior then, lots off fun in Wintergrasp.

idd would love old wintergrasp back, such epic battles. though it did suck if you was on a one sided server. had so much fun on my hunter in WG though

10+ Year Old Account
    vanilla pvp was by far the best

While BC was not balanced, I loved world pvp on the Isle during Sunwell.

BC was easily the best PvP era IMO. Individual class balance was as bad as ever, but the general flow of PvP was superb. Fights were fairly slow and methodical, and about smarts, instead of just CD mashing and never ending invincible healer wars. Not to mention the excellent world PvP that died away after BC.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i liked wrath as an expansion, and apart from early wrath with dks and rets 2hitting everyone i tihnk it had the best pvp (would do anything for old wintergrasp back!). Cata pvp wasn't too bad either for the most part. vanilla and TBc, while fun they probably had the most unbalanced pvp. overall i think wrath pvp was best.
    wotlk start was terrible and the just got worse
    s5 - loldks
    s6 - they fucked up when they decided to give warriors charge in combat + intercept= 100% uptime + insane damage, and PROT PALLYS healing for 150k flash of lights never going oom with avenger shield
    s7 - you have a flame shock and immolate debuff? you are ded.
    s8 - dbwtrinket100%arpwarrioroverlords

This game went downhill with Wotlk, they never managed to get either healing,damage or cc in the right track.

Theres been always one class with retarded burst, or a healer unkillable healer, or a caster with stupid amounts of CC.

Yes, in TBC only a few specs could compete BUT the ones that did at least wanst fullretard mode

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    BC was easily the best PvP era IMO. Individual class balance was as bad as ever, but the general flow of PvP was superb. Fights were fairly slow and methodical, and about smarts, instead of just CD mashing and never ending invincible healer wars. Not to mention the excellent world PvP that died away after BC.
    QFT, this is what's missing from PvP today. Classes are too homogenized and burst (both healing and damage) is out of control. Blizzard always said that not all classes should have stuns, CCs and interrupts, but here we are in MoP... and everyone has a stun, CC and interrupt.

World PvP has been dying ever since BG queues from cities were implemented. Flying mounts were the nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazdum View Post
    wotlk start was terrible and the just got worse
    s5 - loldks
    s6 - they fucked up when they decided to give warriors charge in combat + intercept= 100% uptime + insane damage, and PROT PALLYS healing for 150k flash of lights never going oom with avenger shield
    s7 - you have a flame shock and immolate debuff? you are ded.
    s8 - dbwtrinket100%arpwarrioroverlords
    S7 was fine except for beastcleave, but what season in wotlk didn't have bullshit cleaves.

This game went downhill with Wotlk, they never managed to get either healing,damage or cc in the right track.

Theres been always one class with retarded burst, or a healer unkillable healer, or a caster with stupid amounts of CC.

Yes, in TBC only a few specs could compete BUT the ones that did at least wanst fullretard mode
    because sl/sl wasnt horseshit along with unkillable resto druids, mage/rogue#1CCfairys, and skillherald warriors.

Deleted
    TBC because only people with skills took me down 1v1.

And SL SL warlocks.
    Last edited by mmoc664e732ce0; 2013-01-09 at 07:02 PM.

Deleted
    Wotlk till they nerfed ArP to put casters back on top again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm s10 personally. Before rogue legendaries, lock healing had been nerfed.

Cata was the worst expansion in PvP by far, they dumbed down every class so idiots can play them, and homogenization.

Wotlk was at it's peak fun-wise & skill-wise, with the exception of pve gear such as legendary, trinkets etc, the pvp scene was fast-paced & fun.

Every class were unique aswell, which is why it was so fun.

Dumbing down pvp mechanics happened in cata, such as letting icebound fortitude breaking stuns in addition to giving immunity, or vanish being given a 3sec immunity from breaking, stuff like that is why PvP has gone downhill since cata skill-wise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    because sl/sl wasnt horseshit along with unkillable resto druids, mage/rogue#1CCfairys, and skillherald warriors.
    I played RSham in every season (worst healer in BC) and found those to be a huge pain in the ass, but only a few teams well into the gladiator range were ever impossible to win against. My main comp (sham/warr) was hard countered by Mage/Rogue in BC, but we could still go 50/50 against the good ones even at 2200+, and we were far from pro-level players.

The longer games, limited CC/stuns and lack of burst always made it feel like either team could win despite being out-comp'd. Even if someone won strictly due to comp in the end, the fights were more fun because they never felt completely futile.

Vanilla, because it was the only time where I truly found PvP enjoyable. Then resilience kicked in, and I quit PvPing. Been trying a little since then to get back into it, but I just couldn't enjoy it. Sure it sucked having 2 Warlock DoTs kill you, sure whoever had the tanky Druid won, sure Warriors would fly through the ground with an unlucky charge, sure Polymorph+Pyroblast combo hit waaay too hard, but the whole ranking system was pretty cool, and the fact that people in PvE gear could join in too made it much more diverse, this whole PvP only gear limits BGs A LOT. Plus, the incredibly long AV battles where each team got their respective ancient were epic, it could last all day and it would either be extremely humiliating to lose or extremely satisfying to win. No matter the result you would have had an epic long battle that made you feel that war really was a big thing, instead of these max 20 minute fights where neither of the ancients EVER get summoned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Season 11 Cataclysm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Season 11 Cataclysm.
    You never played in vanilla or BC.

No wonder there are so many votes for shitty seasons... I wish I could add a requirement that people link their vanilla PvP feat of strength before being allowed to vote -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by konway View Post
    You never played in vanilla or BC.

No wonder there are so many votes for shitty seasons... I wish I could add a requirement that people link their vanilla PvP feat of strength before being allowed to vote -.-
    People liked Vanilla and BC because you could still keyboard turn and be a glad. Face it, this game gets better every expansion because the game gets faster and more competitive. The bar is always raised.