Thread: Beard help!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Beard help!

Hello.

I'm in need of some beard help as I'm stuck between three different styles at the moment. I'm not able to grow full beards yet and it's not that thick. What I have now on my chin area has been there for a couple of years now. The hair on the side of my face however grows more easily.

I've edited the photo just because it's easier to get a good idea of what the style is.

1. Same length around side of face but longer at my chin. (This is what I have now, so half and half of the choices below. Is this a 'real' style? Is having shorter on the side of my face and longer on the chin odd? Because it's best of both worlds, but I'm unsure if that's strange.)

2. Sideburns with goatee. (Had this for a while but I'm not of a fan of the sideburns and shaving can be annoying)

3. 'Chin curtain' same length all around. (So cutting the length of the chin off)

I know it's personal preference, but I'd like to your thoughts. Thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-01-09 at 04:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that picture three (same length all around) would look best on you.

Disclaimer: I have not kept a beard for longer than 3 months.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I think that picture three (same length all around) would look best on you.

Disclaimer: I have not kept a beard for longer than 3 months.
    Thanks for your input. (Mike is great! ;P)

Deleted
    Either 1 or 3.

Second one is a no no.

Deleted
    Personally not a fan of neckbeards, but out of those three the last option imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Personally not a fan of neckbeards, but out of those three the last option imo.
    I didn't think any of those were neckbeards because, well, none of the hair is on my neck. Care to enlighten?[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Either 1 or 3.

Second one is a no no.
    Oh? Would like to hear why you don't like number 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Oh? Would like to hear why you don't like number 2.
    Goatees, or wtv they're called, are just a big no for me. :b

Atleast not that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't think any of those were neckbeards because, well, none of the hair is on my neck. Care to enlighten?
    Think he means Chin Straps. The type of beard that follows your Jaw line, which I have never been partial to.

I have never liked the longer goatee + beard look. Its sloppy in my opinion. So #1 is a no go

I assume you are at that point where you can't fill in the mustache fully, most guys have been there as well, so a goatee mustache combo is out of the question. which knocks #2 out

I think with your face shape you would want to stick with #3. Knew a guy in college who looked very similar to you and he rocked that style pretty well.

Have you considered not having a beard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your input. (Mike is great! ;P)
    He sure is.

Deleted
    I can't decide. I like having a long goatee on my chin, but I also like having hair at the side of my face, however I'd rather have a proper style and not a mix between two like number 1 is.

I'm leaning towards goatee again because I'm starting to think that hair all around only looks good if you can grow a mustache and join it all up, which I can't.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-01-09 at 05:22 PM.

Deleted
    Either 1 or 3, as Majad already said.

On off-topic - I'm 20 and still ain't growing a beard. I'm jelly!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there no interest in "no beard" as an option?

Deleted
    The thing is though, the hair on the side of my face isn't that thick. So much so that you can sort of see my skin through it. Does that change peoples opinions?

To stop it from being frizzy, I need to trim is with a shaver, and so it lessens the thickness, however my chin is pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    You may need to postpone the beard for the time being if you are not happy with how it looks on your face.

Most people seem to be opposed to the goatee sans mustache. I used to have one while in college before the rest filled out.

I liked it at the time but I would never grow it again ( Plus I think my girlfriend would cut it off in my sleep).

If you are content with keeping the Goatee part I would suggest growing out the sides as well.

Deleted
    The thing is though, the hair on the side of my face isn't that thick. So much so that you can sort of see my skin through it. Does that change peoples opinions?

To stop it from being frizzy, I need to trim is with a shaver, and so it lessens the thickness, however my chin is pretty good.
    Definitely does, if it's fuzz, time to buzz. Shave it off and wait until it starts to grow properly, unfortunately for some people it never does, you'll just have to wait and see.
    And yea smegdawg was right, guess I meant chin strap and not neckbeard, although the line between the two is quite blurry :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard from many females that they dislike sideburns. If that's something you want to put into consideration.
    But then if... You should ask the females in your real life surrounding about their opinion.

As for my opinion, I believe you shouldn't sport anything. You are looking still too young for any of it.
    It doesn't feel right. Beard and mustache and the like are masculine attributes, and that masculine appearance isn't quite given yet with you.
    Please don't take that as an insult or something along that line. It isn't meant that way.
    It's just that masculine attributes like beards and mustaches look good on mature men, but not good on still rather young guys.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-01-09 at 06:44 PM.

Beards are for the weird and disturbed of society. Manly Rugged Sexy Stubble ≠ Beard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Beards are for the weird and disturbed of society. Manly Rugged Sexy Stubble ≠ Beard
    Neither weird nor disturbed, just ass kicking rockers..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Lies, Abe Lincoln sported a neckie and I bet Thatcher had at least a moustache too!!½1

I've been bearded for the last 6 years. Don't listen to the "girls don't like" conversations, there are always two sides. For every lady I've met who doesn't like the beartd, I've met at least one more that loves it.

Regarding your original question; As mentioned before, a good mustache is key to a good beard, no matter the style. In my younger years I couldn't grow a mustache, and was never really happy with my facial hair until I could. Personally, I would suggest option 1. I personally find the mustacheless gotee odd, like it has no purpose or direction. That's just me though. Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it tighter on the side, with length on the chin. It's how I currently rock my beard. Search 'Opie' from Sons of Anarchy, you'll see what I mean.

No matter your style preference good grooming is key. It separates shitty facial hair from good facial hair. This includes regular trimming and forming of your facial hair. Make sure you shampoo and condition your facial hair. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes, both for you, and who ever you come in close contact with ;p