Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Australian temperatures to reach 52 Celsius next month, highest know in history

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    For those who don't want to go to google 52c = 125.6 degrees.

http://news.yahoo.com/extreme-austra...192257462.html

"Australia's Bureau of Meteorology added two more colours to the scale on its heat map to take account of unprecedented temperatures forecast for next week — a rise that is being blamed on global warming.

A bright shade of purple and pink have been chosen to represent the temperatures, which early Tuesday were predicted to climb to between 52 and 54 C in central Australia in the upcoming week. Meteorologists, however, subsequently lowered the forecast maximum to approximately 50 C.

David Jones, the head of the bureau's climate monitoring, said that the additions to the scale demonstrate the real potential of record-breaking weather

"The scale has just been increased today, and I would anticipate it is because the forecast, coming from the bureau's model, is showing temperatures in excess of 50 degrees," Jones told local newspapers.

The bureau has cited global warming as a cause of the recent temperature increases over the last four months.

A study done by the bureau said that the average Australian temperature is expected to rise by one to five degrees C by 2070.

Monday, was the hottest day on record for the entire country in which the temperature peaked at an average of 40.33 C.

According to the bureau, the current heat record is held by Oodnadatta, South Australia, which recorded a tremendous 50.7 C, on Jan. 2, 1960.

Wildfires, common during the summer months, have broken out across the country due to the combination of high temperatures and dry, windy conditions.

According to officials, conditions during this heat wave have reached a "catastrophic threat level" — which is the most severe rating.

"You don’t get conditions worse than this," said Shane Fitzsimmons, New South Wales Rural Fire Service Commissioner.

"We are at the catastrophic level and clearly in those areas leaving early is your safest option."

In New South Wales, Australia's most populous state, fires engulfed more than 30,000 hectares.

All state forests and national parks were closed as a precaution and the bureau issued a statement banning all fires for a 24 hour period beginning Wednesday morning."
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2013-01-09 at 08:16 PM.

The sun, Australia is three quarters of a mile from it, also tries to kill you in Australia.

Deleted
    o.O

Jebus, 52º C is a lot. Also, an increase of 1 to 5 degrees by 2070? :s Woah.

Poor Anakso. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The sun, Australia is three quarters of a mile from it, also tries to kill you in Australia.
    Sun is secretly trying to kill all the vile bugs in Australia, but I think it's having a problem and it's affecting the human population too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    What the hell?

How is the sun only three quarters of a mile from Australia?
    How is it trying to kill you? Does it have its own mind?

Can someone please explain what this guy is saying?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omgmewmewcat View Post
    What the hell?

How is the sun only three quarters of a mile from Australia?
    How is it trying to kill you? Does it have its own mind?

Can someone please explain what this guy is saying?
    It's called sarcasm, which you clealry didn't understand.

What the hell?
    Hell is probably what 52*C feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    It's called sarcasm, which you clealry didn't understand.
    Ah, sarcasm.

sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uh m]
    noun
    harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.
    I guess I really didn't understand that what he said is anything close to the definition of sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. As an ignorant American I wasn't sure. Now that I know, HOLY SHIT! That's hot.

Deleted
    125.6º Fahrenheit, that is. Or 325 Kelvin.

And the 1 - 5º Celcius increase: 2 - 9º Fahrenheit increase. That's insane.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2013-01-09 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Ah, sarcasm.
    I guess I really didn't understand that what he said is anything close to the definition of sarcasm.
    Looked like sarcasm to me.

Also it think it's a variation on a joke by Dylan Moran.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    Thanks. As an ignorant American I wasn't sure. Now that I know, HOLY SHIT! That's hot.
    Well yea I read the title and it was pretty meaningless. I'm pretty comfortable saying more than half the people on this board have no clue what 52c means I really don't understand why a conversion wasn't in the OP, much less the title.

Deleted
    Ah, sarcasm.

That definition is altered quite drastically depending on where you live.

In other news... Stock prices for Sunscreen producers go threw the roof!

Deleted
    Well yea I read the title and it was pretty meaningless. I'm pretty comfortable saying more than half the people on this board have no clue what 52c means I really don't understand why a conversion wasn't in the OP, much less the title.
    Heh, I was more annoyed by the incorrect formatting of the temperature both in the article, and later replies in this thread.
    Nitpicking physicist that I am...

Capitol C, please. Celcius was a dude. It was his name. A small c denotes the speed of light.
    And here: Use the flying circle º

That is scary hot. I've gotten into my car on a hot summer day and it was 55C inside - never made the mistake of not cracking the windows since. Couldn't imagine it just being that hot without escape. Not being from Australia or ever getting a chance to visit - is that a dry heat or is it humid?

I've enjoyed summers in Arizona with 115+ Fahrenheit, but <5% humidity and it was fun. I've also wanted to commit suicide in 95 Fahrenheit, 95% humidity summers in Florida.
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2013-01-09 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Corrected for Mr. Celcius

I feel like at this point you can start to cook things with just the heat outside.

That said, I can't even stand 80 degrees (edit: Fahrenheit), how do you guys handle that heat?

Aveline's amazing work!

55º celcius here in Mexico last year

Quote Originally Posted by tomhyde1986 View Post
    Looked like sarcasm to me.

Also it think it's a variation on a joke by Dylan Moran.
    Nono, totally my own...

.____.

Death Valley (in California) always gets to be over 55 degrees Celsius. You would not want to break down there!

Most deserty places (isn't central australia a big desert) get really hot - and it's probably why most people don't live in deserts.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__