Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Meanwhile to the north...

China experiences its coldest winter in decades.

http://www.weather.com/news/china-co...inter-20130106

I am not a global warming denier(although I think it is overhyped like most crisis in the world) but the heat in Australia this year is mostly due to the fucked up nature of El Niño over the past couple decades coupled with a peak in the solar cycle.

The real effects of global warming are actually very difficult to notice and the majority of climate experts expect less than a 1 degree(f not c) increase over the next 100 years(which has an impact but has very little to do with what you are experiencing).

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, from what I got, it's not at 100f+ yet, right?

So I'm going to assume they are atleast accustomed to the "normal" temperature.
    the article i read was saying they expected over 112F (it hurts, i promise). so they pretty much have to be at or around 100 already, if not a little over
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    52 Celsius?! I can barely stand 30 Celsius, i'm glad i don't live in Australia. :O

10+ Year Old Account
    You know its hot when the color scale has to lap it self.

One time when I was living in Ashland, Oregon, it reached to 113 F. That was also mixed in with all the smoke from the surrounding forest fires. So you had this dry heat mixed with the sticky smokey air. Horrible!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    it's currently 0 degrees here..i feel sorry for anyone having a holiday in Australia :S going from 0 degrees to 52 degrees so suddenly may cause them to explode :S
    As a physicist, I can tell you that the human body wouldn't actually explode if someone did this.

0-52*C isn't even enough for ice to explosively sublimate, much less a human body.

Maybe I'm odd, but the heat doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the humidity does. I feel like I got hit in the face with a brick here when I step outside my house and it's 90f, but it's very humid here. When I went to Las Vegas a few years ago it was 110-ish outside. It felt hot, but not unbearable because the air was so dry. I had no real issue with the temperature there, despite it being significantly higher than what I'm used to dealing with. I'd rather have that than 90 with high humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    Maybe I'm odd, but the heat doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the humidity does. I feel like I got hit in the face with a brick here when I step outside my house and it's 90f, but it's very humid here. When I went to Las Vegas a few years ago it was 110-ish outside. It felt hot, but not unbearable because the air was so dry. I'd rather have that than 90 with high humidity.
    You're not odd. Anyone who religiously checks heat indices feels the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Death Valley (in California) always gets to be over 55 degrees Celsius. You would not want to break down there!

Most deserty places (isn't central australia a big desert) get really hot - and it's probably why most people don't live in deserts.
    I'm a SoCal native and spent many years in the deserts there. I loved it there, mainly for the lack of humidity. Where I was, 125F wasn't unusual in the summer, but with no humidity, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. One summer, I went out near Baker, CA and saw a thermometer that had stopped at 130F. Silly me, I thought it had broken.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, it is pretty toasty!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omgmewmewcat View Post
    Ah, sarcasm.

I guess I really didn't understand that what he said is anything close to the definition of sarcasm.
    If you have to look up the definition of sarcasm, and it's common use, you don't understand sarcasm.
    yet, the post was bitterly ironic.... hence sarcastic.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 01:51 PM ----------

OP, you are not alone....

http://science.time.com/2013/01/08/2...limate-change/

Just anecdotal value, but we've had after a period of winter appropriate weather here with icy cold temps, snow and all the good stuff. 54F yesterday. For early January rather spectacular, yet not the record high of all time for yesterday. That was 68F a few years ago.
    Overall it's safe to say something is brewing..
    Not a friend of conspiracy theories. But maybe the higher sun activities currently did have more impact than authorities want to tell us.
    It wouldn't make a difference anyway, since we have no way of escaping. We are tied to that rock, called Earth.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-01-09 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koen991 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post
    Heh, I was more annoyed by the incorrect formatting of the temperature both in the article, and later replies in this thread.
    Nitpicking physicist that I am...

Capitol C, please. Celcius was a dude. It was his name. A small c denotes the speed of light.
    And here: Use the flying circle º
    It is mindboggling that a supposed physicist never comes up with real context in their posts and rather be a nitpicking physicist. Only ever trying to point out little errors from other people which you can clearly copy/paste from google. If you feel offended, well... It's just that there are 10000 people like this on the internet, generalization ftw.
    Hm.

And here I thought my post had too MANY smilies.
    My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Also, Warning: let's not discuss the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit, we don't need that.
    True.
    All we need is Kelvin.

I think the title of the thread is somewhat misleading. I'm fairly sure that the Earth was maybe a bit hotter while it was being formed.

Still though it's pretty bloody hot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Not a friend of conspiracy theories. But maybe the higher sun activities currently did have more impact than authorities want to tell us.
    What higher sun activities?

Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    Meanwhile to the north...

China experiences its coldest winter in decades.

http://www.weather.com/news/china-co...inter-20130106

I am not a global warming denier(although I think it is overhyped like most crisis in the world) but the heat in Australia this year is mostly due to the fucked up nature of El Niño over the past couple decades coupled with a peak in the solar cycle.

The real effects of global warming are actually very difficult to notice and the majority of climate experts expect less than a 1 degree(f not c) increase over the next 100 years(which has an impact but has very little to do with what you are experiencing).
    that would be an average increase, which doesnt sound big but is. "global warming" will cause more severe weather patterns (hot and cold) in the meantime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Well yea I read the title and it was pretty meaningless. I'm pretty comfortable saying more than half the people on this board have no clue what 52c means I really don't understand why a conversion wasn't in the OP, much less the title.
    Fixed in OP. Can't fix title for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    55º celcius here in Mexico last year
    sorry to hear that. I see more and more countries have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Go plant a tree!! Build a canal? stop crying and go blame the aboriginees for turning the continent into a wasteland by land clearing everything.
    They have plenty of trees! Australia has so many forest fires it's unbelivable. Those fires burn trees in the forest.
    Building a canal won't help much unless they build it all over Australia, which is kind of hard since... it's a bit big.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    Maybe I'm odd, but the heat doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the humidity does. I feel like I got hit in the face with a brick here when I step outside my house and it's 90f, but it's very humid here. When I went to Las Vegas a few years ago it was 110-ish outside. It felt hot, but not unbearable because the air was so dry. I had no real issue with the temperature there, despite it being significantly higher than what I'm used to dealing with. I'd rather have that than 90 with high humidity.
    I feel different. Heat bothers me more then humidity. Last summer there was a really dry period in my country with 35 Celsius. I felt horrible. Seriously, just from the heat I was getting annoyed, couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate. Yet when heat dropped a bit to 30 but rain clouds came and it was humid again, it felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    OP, you are not alone....

http://science.time.com/2013/01/08/2...limate-change/

Just anecdotal value, but we've had after a period of winter appropriate weather here with icy cold temps, snow and all the good stuff. 54F yesterday. For early January rather spectacular, yet not the record high of all time for yesterday. That was 68F a few years ago.
    Overall it's safe to say something is brewing..
    It wouldn't make a difference anyway, since we have no way of escaping. We are tied to that rock, called Earth.
    Thanks, but fortunately(because I don't like heat and venomous stuff) I'm not australian.

That said, this might explain why we're starting missions to Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I think the title of the thread is somewhat misleading. I'm fairly sure that the Earth was maybe a bit hotter while it was being formed.

Still though it's pretty bloody hot
    Well, I couldn't also write "known" in there, too many letters in title already and there's a cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    They have plenty of trees! Australia has so many forest fires it's unbelivable. Those fires burn trees in the forest.
    Building a canal won't help much unless they build it all over Australia, which is kind of hard since... it's a bit big.
    I didn't actually read the entire thread and this post (the quoted one, not yours) is just hahahaha oh wow.

Luckily the australian open has heat limits now. On court temps were above 150 for a while.

Russia(or parts of it at least) had -60C a few weeks back, not sure which would be worse!

Crazy temperatures.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Yeah Southern California regularly has temperatures that get that hot, hottest I have ever experienced were over 115F It wasn't too bad

Felt kind of like when you open the oven and the hot air comes out, but all around you.

But hot temperatures are not that hard to get used too. 4th of July this year I went on a 2 hour bike ride when it was 105 out that was a good ride, but I used up my water really fast.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.