Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Mmo-Champion infraction rules too strict?

    First of all, I am not coming here to tell you that I never should've gotten an infraction, just that I might not agree with it (in the end, rules are rules). I will just state mine and hear other people's opinions about this topic.

    I just received an infraction for writing the following:

    "USA loves their guns and they like to believe that the problem is "more complicated". It really isn't. Guns are too easy to get your hands on, they are too common, and people feel like they need a gun to protect themself because everyone else has one!

    Silly America and your silly second amendment."

    Infraction received for nation bashing. I really get the feeling that the mod that gave me an infraction let his personal feelings rule his decision... But that is just a guess... Fine, it's the rules, but when such a post qualifies for an infraction (5 points even) I start to question those rules.

    Freedom of speech is a privilege most of us have. Obviously, that doesn't mean we can say whatever we want.
    But there should be drawn a line between how negative a post should be to qualify for an infraction, and I believe that line is drawn with a way too strict mindset. When what you say hurt others, then that's not ok, but should that include saying stuff that people simply don't like? Shouldn't we be allowed to state our negative opionions as well as our positive opinions?


    What's your experience with infractions on the forums, do you think they are too strict, or do you sometimes feel that mods try to find a reason to give an infraction based on personaly disliking the post?

    (would be great if moderators could share their thoughts too)
    Last edited by l4808; 2013-01-09 at 05:35 PM.

  2. #2
    I do not believe that calling another nation and its core principles "silly" is a great way to further constructive discussion, really.
    However, as with any infraction, if you believe it to be inappropriate, feel free to PM your formal infraction appeal to any mod of your choice, who will present it on the appeal boards for discussion.

    Hmm, didn't we have a thread like a week ago saying that it was too easy to get away with bashing the US?
    UI & AddOns expert | Interface & Macros moderator - My work

  3. #3
    Fluffy Kitten Taurenburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,053
    What you did was nation bashing, so you deserve the infraction. And tbh, don´t whine about an infraction. It´s most of the time just 5 points (out of I don't know how many you need for a ban) and it's gone in 3 months. Behave and you won't get banned or infracted.

    I am infracted twice and it was deserved and do you see me whine about it?

  4. #4
    Sometimes its a bit strict - I see red cards on posts that clearly werent nation bashing as the mod edit would suggest. However sometimes I feel its not strict enough and some posters on this forum I'd love to see permabanned faster.

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    4,112
    There strictness worked on me. I was always getting infracted here - now its a rare thing indeed. I also think there are rules in place against threads like this :s

  6. #6
    Its the internet. When you give people anonymous power they will feel free to use it whenever they choose because they know that there will not be any repercussions. They will let their personal feelings influence their decisions because they cant be held accountable. Sometimes I feel like moderators dont feel like they are doing their job unless they hand out infractions; kind of like a cop who feels he needs to hand out tickets to justify his job. At the end of the day though it doesnt really matter. This is just a forum about a video game. Any power wielded here is artificial and meaningless in the real world. Likewise: any infraction received here is artificial and meaningless in the real world. In the grand scheme of things moderators and infractions are meaningless.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    Its the internet. When you give people anonymous power they will feel free to use it whenever they choose because they know that there will not be any repercussions. They will let their personal feelings influence their decisions because they cant be held accountable. Sometimes I feel like moderators dont feel like they are doing their job unless they hand out infractions; kind of like a cop who feels he needs to hand out tickets to justify his job. At the end of the day though it doesnt really matter. This is just a forum about a video game. Any power wielded here is artificial and meaningless in the real world. Likewise: any infraction received here is artificial and meaningless in the real world. In the grand scheme of things moderators and infractions are meaningless.
    anything is meaningless in "the grand scheme of things". But that's a philosophical discussion ;P

    But to the point. As mmo-champion's forum is as big as it is, having discussions about how things are is nothing but a good thing.

    You say moderators and infractions on mmo-champ are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it is also true that 99% of the grand scheme of things are meaningless to mmo-champion

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 07:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by taurenburger View Post
    What you did was nation bashing, so you deserve the infraction. And tbh, don´t whine about an infraction. It´s most of the time just 5 points (out of I don't know how many you need for a ban) and it's gone in 3 months. Behave and you won't get banned or infracted.

    I am infracted twice and it was deserved and do you see me whine about it?
    Yes, so it says. Nation bashing is against the rules. The discussion about whether or not that rule, and maybe others, are too strict, that's the point of this thread.

  8. #8
    I've been infracted plenty of times, and even banned a couple times, and honestly didn't feel a single one was deserved since I don't troll and I don't blatantly attack. But, there's nothing you can do about it. Just post, and if it happens, grin and bear it. It's just a forum after all, nothing to get upset over. Besides, the moderators are human. They're going to be biased just like anybody else, it's only natural.

  9. #9
    i got infracted once, since i said somthing in the lines of "go F your self" after a gold selller or whatever it was came by haha but that is clearly understandable why i got that one. i was in a bad mood that day.
    My SoundCloud.
    Take a look and comment!

  10. #10
    People seem to think that they have to right to never be offended... thats why they have so stupid low tolerance.

  11. #11
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    11,194
    If you get banned can't you just make another account?

  12. #12
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,603
    Say a word against America and you'll find yourself being banned faster that usain bolts lap time. However its ok to laugh at commie nazi countries of evil and doom! Hypersensitivity is a great thing. However I think alot of other things are too strict aswell.

    But if your expecting feedback from infractions on MMOC I can sum up the next few pages for you:

    "you deserved it noob"
    "you got banned your lying ect ect"
    "I agree with every form of rule made on the planet earth"

    Thats usually the type of comments you can expect.

  13. #13
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    11,194
    Say a word against America and you'll find yourself being banned faster that usain bolts lap time
    I noticed this too. Where as people like "shadee" are freely able to says stuff like "usa #1" and offensive comments to other countries...

    /shame at mods

    But that is of course just my opinion, so don't try to decapitate me!!!

  14. #14
    Next time leave out the last sentence and you wont get an infraction.
    And to the guys above me, if you bash any nation you will get an infraction. More people just bash America tho.

  15. #15
    Explain to the actual mod in a personal message why you believe what you said isn't worthy of an infraction. If there is some other to go at it, I believe you were in the wrong and would have done the same. I was infracted awhile back by a super mod and messaged him my intentions and he removed the infraction and reopened the thread, remember they are people and sometimes they may act hastily but also remember if it offended him it may also offend someone else, either way go through the appropriate course to have it refracted not bashing with a nonsensical argument.

  16. #16
    Pandaren Monk Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I noticed this too. Where as people like "shadee" are freely able to says stuff like "usa #1" and offensive comments to other countries...

    /shame at mods

    But that is of course just my opinion, so don't try to decapitate me!!!
    That's funny, normally I see it the other way. No country is allowed to be bashed unless it's America in my experience.
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    If you get banned can't you just make another account?
    That'd be ban evasion, which equals another ban. I wouldn't recommend it!


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    That'd be ban evasion, which equals another ban. I wouldn't recommend it!
    Yep, evading a ban isn't permitted.

  19. #19
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    12,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I noticed this too. Where as people like "shadee" are freely able to says stuff like "usa #1" and offensive comments to other countries...

    /shame at mods
    Report it next time. PM a mod directly. Speak with Sunshine if you think anything is mishandled.

    Do not call out particular people. That is not appropriate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    If you get banned can't you just make another account?
    No, you will be hit for ban evasion and your points consoledated.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

  20. #20
    Pandaren Monk Zogarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,996
    I find them wait too strict, especially in the department of religion. I "bash" religion as they call it. Tho i would say i critic it, and the way it is presented as truth, and not simply advice. I won't turn this into a discussion about it, but in my opinion, if anyone who says "there is no god" gets banned, anyone who says "There is a god" should also get banned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •