Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warning of greedy guilds transferring goods

Just want to put a warning out for people as I had never considered someone would do this.

Until recently I was in a guild that said they had plans for raiding and even had 2 raid nights out of countless cancelled nights. With that in mind I and other guildies built it up and created lots of mats and gear with raid night in mind and stuck them in the guild bank. We also, at the request of certain guild officers created trinkets and gems for them. Later, we found these items being advertised in trade for sale and on the AH. When confronted they denied it and then the next day the guild bank is completely emptied and 5 toons are transferred with all the goods we made. And the gold they made from selling our items. I am sure Blizz doesn't have a legal reason to pursue them, but I want to warn others of our mistake.

I take this as a learning experience and it is only WOW money I have lost. This is, I find out the 4th or 5th time they have done this. So if you are on Earthen Ring server now (That is where they transferred to) and see new people looking to join your guild or join their brand new one use extreme caution in how much you help them out or you too might find you are being used before their next server transfer. Almost like a WOW pyramid scheme.

And no, my current guild is not the one in question, I had only left token alts with the old guild as I had put a lot of time and effort into building that guild up.

While no one likes being taken advantage of you did put things in the guild bank with the understanding that it was stuff that anyone could take. Now I am not saying what they did was right and I have never done anything like this but you don't get to act like the victim here. If I might want to make money on something then I don't put it in the guild bank. If I put it in the guild bank it is 'pennys for everyone' kind of thing where I don't care what happens to it or who takes it. It is something I am willing to never see again.

If you put 50 bucks in 1 dollar bills in the middle of your house and tell your family members that anyone can take it when ever they want and your teenage son takes all of it to go buy booze and get all his friends smashed then you can't claim to be the victim of your sons theft.

If you put it in a guild bank then consider it 'easy come easy go', not that you are entitled to the value of what was in there.

Yes it is aweful what they did, which is why I dont put anything in and I dont take anything out of a guild bank. You can't pretend to be the victim of theft here.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    While no one likes being taken advantage of you did put things in the guild bank with the understanding that it was stuff that anyone could take. Now I am not saying what they did was right and I have never done anything like this but you don't get to act like the victim here. If I might want to make money on something then I don't put it in the guild bank. If I put it in the guild bank it is 'pennys for everyone' kind of thing where I don't care what happens to it or who takes it. It is something I am willing to never see again.

If you put 50 bucks in 1 dollar bills in the middle of your house and tell your family members that anyone can take it when ever they want and your teenage son takes all of it to go buy booze and get all his friends smashed then you can't claim to be the victim of your sons theft.

If you put it in a guild bank then consider it 'easy come easy go', not that you are entitled to the value of what was in there.

Yes it is aweful what they did, which is why I dont put anything in and I dont take anything out of a guild bank. You can't pretend to be the victim of theft here.
    that's a terrible analogy. the OP's intention was throwing money in the pot to help grow the guild. a more relevant analogy would be me throwing money into my family, investing into a fund for my children's college education etc etc. then my wife takes off with it.

Deleted
    lmfao genuises,I hate scammers but a legal loophole is a legal loophole,if you get caught in it it's your fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    that's a terrible analogy. the OP's intention was throwing money in the pot to help grow the guild. a more relevant analogy would be me throwing money into my family, investing into a fund for my children's college education etc etc. then my wife takes off with it.
    But this is not how a Guild bank works. When you put something in the guild bank, it's up to the guild master and officers to make use of it.
    If the GM decides everyone can take it, by opening up a tab to everyone, than that's his right to. If there is anything in his guild's bank which he can sell off for profit, it's also his right to do, since he is able to withdraw the goods.

It's just how the game works. If you don't want to lose your stuff, don't throw it in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything in the guild bank is the property of the GM. No exceptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    make guild whit legit account---->hack others account take all the gold and put it on said guild bank-----> transfer guild than gg out

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    But this is not how a Guild bank works. When you put something in the guild bank, it's up to the guild master and officers to make use of it.
    If the GM decides everyone can take it, by opening up a tab to everyone, than that's his right to. If there is anything in his guild's bank which he can sell off for profit, it's also his right to do, since he is able to withdraw the goods.

It's just how the game works. If you don't want to lose your stuff, don't throw it in there.
    the intention, and purpose, of the guild bank is to put stuff in there to share with guild mates to further guild purpose. the way you guys describe it is people misusing it. the stuff isn't in there meant for anyone to take out and sell for profit. the college fund isn't there for the wife to take out and spend it on a nose job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    the intention, and purpose, of the guild bank is to put stuff in there to share with guild mates to further guild purpose.
    You may want to read this as an example: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...9205?page=2#28
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrakthris
    The majority of items placed in a guild are often intended for the progression of the guild's members as well as the guild itself (profession mats, raid supplies, etc...). While that is usually the guideline used for those who have access to the guild bank, it is not a requirement of withdrawal.
    This doesn't mean I don't agree that it's not a dick move to sell that stuff, it is however by no means against any rule.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are all dicks. He says in the original post that he knows it's technically not against the rules for them to do this and he just wants to put the warning out for others to not do the same and every single one of you basically starts screaming about how it's perfectly fine what the GM did and that he doesn't get to act like a victim. HE ISN'T, L2read or gfto. Also, just because it's legal doesn't make it right.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerlynne View Post
    You guys are all dicks.
    Thanks. I totally needed a random person on the internet to tell me something about myself.

Let this be a warning to you. Don't trust anyone in this game you can't physically assault if they screw you over.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Thanks. I totally needed a random person on the internet to tell me something about myself.
    Thanks, I totally needed a snarky comment from a random person on the internet. Now we're even.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    But to be fair if you had actually taken your own advice you would have known I wasn't replying to the OP. But fair does, guess people just love to rage about anything nowadays. I tip my hat and wish thee a good evening

Sorry, got burned by a GM and her BFF (I presume BFF)...

Quote Originally Posted by Galedrith View Post
    Just want to put a warning out for people as I had never considered someone would do this.

Until recently I was in a guild that said they had plans for raiding and even had 2 raid nights out of countless cancelled nights. With that in mind I and other guildies built it up and created lots of mats and gear with raid night in mind and stuck them in the guild bank. We also, at the request of certain guild officers created trinkets and gems for them. Later, we found these items being advertised in trade for sale and on the AH. When confronted they denied it and then the next day the guild bank is completely emptied and 5 toons are transferred with all the goods we made. And the gold they made from selling our items. I am sure Blizz doesn't have a legal reason to pursue them, but I want to warn others of our mistake.

I take this as a learning experience and it is only WOW money I have lost. This is, I find out the 4th or 5th time they have done this. So if you are on Earthen Ring server now (That is where they transferred to) and see new people looking to join your guild or join their brand new one use extreme caution in how much you help them out or you too might find you are being used before their next server transfer. Almost like a WOW pyramid scheme.

And no, my current guild is not the one in question, I had only left token alts with the old guild as I had put a lot of time and effort into building that guild up.
    for doing very much the same thing. I was pretty damned pissed for a long time. Only difference for me, was that we at least raided and had some progression. Since then, I've avoided using GBs with 2 exceptions. 1 of those being my own GB for mats and stuff, and using the GB of the guild that has my wife as the GM. I have other toons in other guilds, but won't touch the GB because of my experience with those who "stole" (use the term loosely here) what was put in. While what the GM and her BFF did was technically legal, per Blizz policies, it reeked to high heaven of bad ethics by the GM and Blizz.

Good luck with making your money back and avoiding this type of crap in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The Guild Master will look after you. He will protect you. He will make things easier. Make you feel safer.
    Love the Master.
    Serve the Master to the last.
    GLORY TO THE MASTER.

OP, i'll keep an eye out for those guys. My old, very old guild did the opposite: they left the server in mass, legally, no one got fooled or something. But they left the guild gold and items behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Octaboom View Post
    for doing very much the same thing. I was pretty damned pissed for a long time. Only difference for me, was that we at least raided and had some progression. Since then, I've avoided using GBs with 2 exceptions. 1 of those being my own GB for mats and stuff, and using the GB of the guild that has my wife as the GM. I have other toons in other guilds, but won't touch the GB because of my experience with those who "stole" (use the term loosely here) what was put in. While what the GM and her BFF did was technically legal, per Blizz policies, it reeked to high heaven of bad ethics by the GM and Blizz.

Good luck with making your money back and avoiding this type of crap in the future.
    I love how people always use these stories as ways to unjustly put the blame on Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep it civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Indeed. But it's still a con trick... and so the OP is warning people.

This is a violation of the honor system, really.

The expectation you had was that you were helping the guild get established by donating to the guild bank. And that's reasonable.
    What these guys did was use that expectation against you.

I would petition a GM anyway (include the approx time when they denied your accusations that they were selling your stuff) and see if you can't nail them for it.

Worst case scenario, they'll say "No. Nothing we can do." and that's that.