View Poll Results: How do you see yourself?

Voters
97. This poll is closed
  • Male - Straight

71 73.20%
  • Male - Bisexual/Bicurious

5 5.15%
  • Male - Gay

13 13.40%
  • Female - Straight

5 5.15%
  • Female - Bisexual/Bicurious

1 1.03%
  • Female - Lesbian

2 2.06%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How big percentage of population is gay?

It just got me thinking, seeing many people on this and other forums that were gay, of how big the actual number is.
    I'll make an anonymous poll so you could vote and we could get some possible scientific data. I hope noone finds this insulting.

Vote away

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have read somewhere it's around 10-15% I think as LGBT rights are expanded on, and gay marriage is made law those numbers will most likely jump a bit... A lot of people don't come out for fear of what could happen to them. Took me 35 years.

Deleted
    10-15% being gay sounds huge, imo the "closet-gays" arent really gays if they can live "straight" life. Theyre just unsure what they are. Only like 0,5% of my friends are gay, altho this part of Finland tends to be pretty conservative so they dont dare to come into the light.

My sample size is small but still i dont think its true 15% of people are gay. Woa, if thats true it certainly would explain the behaviour of some ppl

E: Well ofcourse if being gay is illegal in their country they cant show it.
    Last edited by mmoc7f4ca4fed4; 2013-01-09 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gay male. AND PROUD! Hell yea.

Deleted
    I realise sample is still way too small but it's abit surprising to have more girls lesbian than straight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    10-15% being gay sounds huge, imo the "closet-gays" arent really gays if they can live "straight" life. Theyre just unsure what they are.
    ya I miss typed it's like 3-5% and some people live in the closet for fear of being disowned, abused..or otherwise treated like crap..as i said i was "in the closet" for 35 miserable years.

btw I am in a MUCH smaller crowd.. trans woman lesbian...

Deleted
    Half of them are these: http://mlkshk.com/r/ICKB

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    I realise sample is still way too small but it's abit surprising to have more girls lesbian than straight.

15+ Year Old Account
    around 2-10%

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    10-15% being gay sounds huge, imo the "closet-gays" arent really gays if they can live "straight" life. Theyre just unsure what they are. Only like 0,5% of my friends are gay, altho this part of Finland tends to be pretty conservative so they dont dare to come into the light.

My sample size is small but still i dont think its true 15% of people are gay. Woa, if thats true it certainly would explain the behaviour of some ppl

E: Well ofcourse if being gay is illegal in their country they cant show it.
    Would you say that they're bi?

i bet 1/4 people are gay
    you'll never see 1/4 admit it
    but there are a lot of "straight" men who get their jollies at your local truck stop
    and i've come to find out every single anti-gay person is secretly gay and get caught at some point

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Would you say that they're bi?
    bi might as well be gay. straight people see gay and straight. it's like the 1% rule with white people who have black people in their family.

10+ Year Old Account
    A good amount of the people I know are, to varying degrees. Am personally pansexual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    A good amount of the people I know are, to varying degrees. Am personally pansexual.
    I actually am Pansexual as well..but i prefer women, and if I am interested in a guy it's a VERY specific type. Plus most people don't seem to know or understand Pansexuality.

Deleted
    According to this poll there are alot more than 5%.

I mean I am sometimes attracted to women, but rarely, very very very rarely.

For all intents and purposes I am gay. If I had to give a percent, i'm 80% gay lol.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 06:49 PM ----------

According to this poll there are alot more than 5%.
    lmao it's almost a 1/4 like the other guy said.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a gay man, but I don't throw around the "lawl 10% of the population is gay" idea. It will be a very, very long time before we get any sort of accurate census data on this topic, due to the fact that most societies tend to shun it, leading to many people being in denial and/or closeted, which skews statistical analysis.

If I were to guess, though, I'd say that the percentage is probably in the 3 to 8% range.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 07:57 PM ----------

You have to remember the audience too. This is a primarily a gaming forum. If it were a different kind of forum, you'd see different results.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    around 2-10%
    That's an enormous margin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post

You have to remember the audience too. This is a primarily a gaming forum. If it were a different kind of forum, you'd see different results.
    While this doesn't respresent a major audience female wise, I think their sexual orientation can be compared to to overall data. What you're saying basicly is that there are more lesbians among gamer girls than there are overall percentage wise. Pretty far fetched to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    lmao it's almost a 1/4 like the other guy said.
    This illustrates something that makes gay statisticians like myself weep: how fervently people will argue even in the absence of real data that there are more people of their demographic. The actual number is really meaningless because the phobes will want to believe it's a tiny number and gays and people who label themselves as supporters of gays will always choose the highest number they hear that they can convince themselves is true.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 12:05 AM ----------

While this doesn't respresent a major audience female wise, I think their sexual orientation can be compared to to overall data. What you're saying basicly is that there are more lesbians among gamer girls than there are overall percentage wise. Pretty far fetched to be honest.
    Not that far fetched, considering how gender roles, sexuality and gaming all interact. Response bias to such a poll makes it hopeless anyway though.

10+ Year Old Account
    proud straight male here.

id say 7% are gay, but that is totally fine, to each their own love em all the same

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    proud straight male here.

id say 7% are gay, but that is totally fine, to each their own love em all the same
    And where do you get that number?