Resto and challenge mode help

so i dont have time to gear and raid on my alts, so i thought i'd just do challenge modes on them. almost have all gold on my main just a few more to go. all the guides i look up are mainly for raiding, and i cant find any good 5 man guides around.

so to you experienced restos (havent really played mine since the beginning of DS), whats the best spec/glyphs you would use for 5 mans? i thought about using the HW glyph instead of TC since i wont have free time to dps and most likely drink often anyways. and i thought the talent that finishes your <3 min totems would be good to aoe stun often and for HST. but thats all i came up with really. also for hps, is putting riptide on everyone and HW them more efficient, or would riptide and spam CH.

all help appreciated ty

Deleted
    I am elemental in my challenge mode group but I did heal a few a while back so these are my thoughts.

It will mostly depend on which challenge mode you are doing but in general:-

Whilst healing you need to be doing as much DPS as possible so I would take PE and just set it on the bosses etc.

I would definately drop HW glyph, you will be using GHW and HS. Take TC as it will help your mana whilst you are dpsing (not so much dpsing for mana).

Depending on the group composition I found that a double capacitor was pretty useless due to DR on the mobs with others stuns too, I would take totemic projection so you can stun at range.

I would not glyph riptide (I personally hate it glyphed) and just rely on direct heals

The damage is very spikey in the instances and so I think CH wont see a lot of use, it doesnt heal for a lot really, you will find yourself triage healing with GHW / HS mostly, burning your mana fast and then mana up during breaks.

Get a ton of those amber drinks from klaxxi, they are invaluable for healers.

the most important part though is coordination, decide which packs tanks will use major CDs on, which packs you will use major CDs on etc so you always have something up.

My standard glyph set would probably be

Glyphed FE
    TC
    then WS / HST / Cleansing Waters

If you find you arent having time to cast LB for dps, drop TC obviously and use one of the glyphs below in its place but our priest healer manages to DPS a bit

Good luck!

Sepha

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I have to add from the post above me is that I do use the riptide glyph. Granted I haven't done all of the challenge modes yet, so I might not be the best source, but I find keeping riptide on everyone during low damage periods to help a lot. Also, passive talents are usually the best you can get out of the talents you can pick, because you can't afford the global CD to use them when you need them popped.

Take Nature's guardian for your T1 talent. It saves you more times than you can count. Of course take HTT for your T5 talent. That is a major CD that you can cycle in, but then again, for resto, its clearly more powerful than the other choices. Other than that, always ALWAYS be putting down a fire totem. Rather its your elemental or your searing totem, put one down. Its not gonna be useful being used for nothing, and the extra dps does help. Just be sure to throw a flame shock or something on your target so that the totem knows to attack something. Its kinda dumb. my 3 main glyphs are riptide, healing wave, and spiritwalker's grace.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephaa View Post
    but our priest healer manages to DPS a bit
    Unfortunately Shamans lack the ability to heal through dmg OK you could specc into conductivity, but I don't know if that would be a benefit overall (maybe in some situations)

As Sepha said the Glyph of Fire Elemental should be mandatory. Telluric current is probably also a good suggestion but it really depends if you are able to dps throughout the run. I would take the HST glyph in any case.

That would make

FE
    HST
    TC / others

Regarding your spell selection: I think I didn't cast a single HW on my few challenge runs. As Sephaa also already said, you will primarly using RT+ 2x HW/HS combined with HST und HR (situational). Imho you can completely ignore CH in this environment.
    R.A.I.D - Resto at its destiny

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhoof View Post
    Unfortunately Shamans lack the ability to heal through dmg
    Our priest is holy sometimes you can afford to dps, sometimes you cant but its always good to try and throw out as much dps as you can

I would also try to manage without using mana pots on bosses if you can and instead prepot int pots for use with the FE. Ive lost out on gold by half a second before...its pretty frustrating and literally every second counts

Sepha
    Last edited by mmoc341033ac04; 2013-01-11 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added pot remark

What about stat priority? The shaman in my raid says its spirit>50% mastery>2000somethin haste cap>crit>more haste i think it was. But would it be the same in pre raid gear? Also i read gemming pure spirit wa the way to go

Deleted
    Well I just kept my raiding gear with no special reforging which is spirit > Haste (871) > Crit > Mastery > more haste. With that I always have around 50% mastery anyway

If i were doing a specific challenge mode reforge I would likely go into haste as you wont mind maximising HPS at the cost of mana since you can drink regularly and it will benefit your lightning bolt casts and benefit your elementals DPS.

Sepha