Help me increase my healing techniques

Before I get started here is the link to last night's raid logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/b9szn...?s=7164&e=7573

Now, my background. I was in a top 100 25m raiding guild for the latter half of WotLK and until T12. I used to rank regularly and my skills thrusted me onto the healing officer of said guild. Once Firelands hit the shelves I took a break from WoW and played pretty casually for the rest of Cata. Now I am in a 10-man that is not far along at all progression-wise (only 2 heroics down, yet to kill Sha normal). I mean no offense to the players I currently raid with when I say this, but given the caliber of players I used to play alongside with and outperform I feel that I should be able to perform a lot better than I currently am.

I know 10m healing is a lot different than 25m healing, and given that I don't fully trust my knowledge enough on current shaman-state to handle my own problem, I am asking for knowledgeable assistance to try and tweak my play-style so that I can become a better healer overall for my guild. Please dissect my logs and help me find what I am lacking. Disregard last night's Stone guards kill also when you do so.

Also I have one question, when looking at top healing shaman's logs the top healing spell that is always used is 'unknown'. I am assuming that is "restorative mists" and WoL just doesnt record its name yet?

Thank you for any time you spend in order to help me out

stop using healing wave so much. it may work for you because your group is greatly overgearing content (estimated from the kill times), but to be competitive u will have to exchange many of those hws with ghws.. rt/ ghw is the bread-butter spell in 10s.

U didnt use mana / focus potions.
    as a shaman, i never had a progression fight, where i didnt bake the pot into my mana managment strategy. If u dont need them, u are relying on hw more than u should, which means u burden on your healing partners.

for tsulong, make more use of healing rain in night phase, and use rt hs spam in sunbreath phases.

Are you sure "unknown" isn't other? WoL when you scroll over someone on the healing done chart, only gives the top 4 sources + the sum of everything else which is clumped as other.

Mainly, you don't use healing rain enough. 500k healing from healing rain on protectors elite... you do realize ranged can stack up in P2/P3 and almost everyone has a dot on them right?

The best way to boost your healing however is to stop 3 healing everything. The bosses (usually) don't do more damage because you bring more healers. If the average HPS of players who are in epics is below 45k, they probably aren't being challenged.

Unlike Holofernes said, you should use Healing Wave as much as possible. It's the most mana efficient heal you have, especially due to Resurgence because HW gives the same 8+k mana back from crits like GHW.

I quickly looked at the logs you have. On normal mode, you should never use 3 healers on any given fight. Just 2 heal everything. You are overhealing way too much by the way. Overhealing should only occur from riptide hot ticks. If you have healed well, you should have like 1-4% overhealing on all of the spells, excluding riptide which can be around 15-20%.

Glyph Telluric Currents and start doing damage. Shaman must never stand still doing nothing. Spam lightning bolt on all free globals. And basically you should do your burst damage always in pulls. bloodlust->fire elemental->flame shock->stormlash->lava burst->lblblblblblbllb->lvb->lblblblb until people start actually taking damage that you HAVE to heal them.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by suffeli View Post
    Unlike Holofernes said, you should use Healing Wave as much as possible. It's the most mana efficient heal you have, especially due to Resurgence because HW gives the same 8+k mana back from crits like GHW.

I quickly looked at the logs you have. On normal mode, you should never use 3 healers on any given fight. Just 2 heal everything. You are overhealing way too much by the way. Overhealing should only occur from riptide hot ticks. If you have healed well, you should have like 1-4% overhealing on all of the spells, excluding riptide which can be around 15-20%.

Glyph Telluric Currents and start doing damage. Shaman must never stand still doing nothing. Spam lightning bolt on all free globals. And basically you should do your burst damage always in pulls. bloodlust->fire elemental->flame shock->stormlash->lava burst->lblblblblblbllb->lvb->lblblblb until people start actually taking damage that you HAVE to heal them.
    Um. I'm so confused. I don't agree with any of this except not 3 healing. What in gods name are you healing that you can make extensive use of Healing Wave and do a bunch of dps, AND use your fire ele totem for dps?
    How are you achieving 1-4% overheal numbers? Thats ridiculously low. Our number one heal is Healing Rain, and thats going to be at 50% overhealing on almost every fight.

I'm going to address things specific to you and your healing numbers.

Things to do differently:

1) Healing stream totem uptime is just not good. This needs to be used on cool down every time. Setup something to help you monitor this, I use weakauras.

2) Unleash Elements and Healing Rain. You're not doing it. Browsing your logs shows that you very rarely follow your UE cast with Healing Rain. This is a MUST. Unleash someone, anyone, even if they are full health, then cast you HR. This buffs HR by 30%. DO THIS.

Next time you ask for a review, please log out in your healing gear and spec so we can actually look at this. I think you might have talented Unleash. Please respond once you do this and I will delve further.

Quote Originally Posted by rmlunsford View Post
    Um. I'm so confused. I don't agree with any of this except not 3 healing. What in gods name are you healing that you can make extensive use of Healing Wave and do a bunch of dps, AND use your fire ele totem for dps?
    How are you achieving 1-4% overheal numbers? Thats ridiculously low. Our number one heal is Healing Rain, and thats going to be at 50% overhealing on almost every fight.
    Now that we have whole content on farm status and I've gemmed+reforged to fully crit (crit>mastery>spirit>haste), that overhealing % isn't true. I spam healing wave a lot. But when we were progressing fights, I was running on very low overhealing percentage (and my gear was full spirit, reforged spirit>mastery>haste>crit).
    And I gotta say, for the majority of 10 man fights, especially on progression, the unleash talent is superior to to primal elementalist. Now I have switched to Primal Elementalist, but basically only for the dps; I rarely use Empower/Reinforce. Only on grand empress and sha of fear.
    About the dps. There are only 3 fights in this tier where I basically don't dps: Tsulong, Garalon and Protectors of the Endless. On those fights I use Fire Elemental for dps of course, but not that much of cast time dps.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

no one has actually answered this poor guys question yet so I'm going to try to help.

I ran into almost the same problem you are having.

The changes made to shaman in mop have changed the way you have to heal a lot. The traditional method of healing is still there with all these added elements. If you don't use these elements your number will be crap. The biggest thing for me was to make sure i was using ascendance & Healing Tide Totem as much as possible at the BEST times to use them. I didn't get into your logs because i cant from work but if you are not good at keeping your HST up 100% make a weak aura or something to remind you its off CD. You logged out in enhance gear so i cant look at your gear but this could also factor into things. Also for Tsulong spec into Ancestral Guidance, as soon as you get breath buff pop the CD and go to town on tsulong.

I guess if you're looking to top meters as a healer shaman prob isn't the best choice anymore. We have a ton of CDS that make us a great choice for a healing comp but the output is def a bit lower than other healers on average.

I guess my only advice would be to try to be more aggressive
    -Biotics-

For Tsulong, spec ancestral guidance and blow Ascendance, time it with Unleash weapon when the Sun Breath happens then just watch and top meters.

Your ES uptime could be better, no reason why it cant be >90%. And remember to Chain Heal a target with Riptide on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
    For Tsulong, spec ancestral guidance and blow Ascendance, time it with Unleash weapon when the Sun Breath happens then just watch and top meters.

Your ES uptime could be better, no reason why it cant be >90%. And remember to Chain Heal a target with Riptide on it.
    Yea I respec into AS and pop it + Ascendance during spirit breath phases, but I have been using GHW instead of HS. I will try HS next time since it IS technically a higher hps spell. My ES uptime is shit which is something I need to work on (re-downloading power auras and whatnot) HST uptime could be better, and I am ashamed to admit that it wasnt until a month or so ago that I realized CH did not consume Riptide anymore, so there's something else I need to get used to doing.

Thanks for all the help so far this has been very beneficial for me and I will see if I can't perform better at tonight's raid. Also I am now logged out in Resto gear for your viewing pleasure haha.

Quote Originally Posted by rmlunsford View Post
    Things to do differently:

1) Healing stream totem uptime is just not good. This needs to be used on cool down every time. Setup something to help you monitor this, I use weakauras.

2) Unleash Elements and Healing Rain. You're not doing it. Browsing your logs shows that you very rarely follow your UE cast with Healing Rain. This is a MUST. Unleash someone, anyone, even if they are full health, then cast you HR. This buffs HR by 30%. DO THIS.
    I 100% agree with what you wrote. Healing Stream Totem uptime is vital! Especially if you have the totemic recall glyph, you can set up weakauras to trigger an audio countdown, which helps to get all your mana back. UE+HR is important as well.

Another suggestion is to use your elementals more! A good benchmark is to use each elemental twice on 8 minute fights or longer. Or if you're wanting to save one for a cd, you can use fire aggressively and save earth.

Honestly, I would advise speaking with your co-healers. While you can read all the advice in the forums, it can all mean nothing if you and your healers don't get some synergy going on, as well as being vocal. Try and make sure you all understand the way each other will play so you don't waste cd's and mana. I personally believe working with your other healers in this way more important than anything else (unless the player is absolute garbage, which you are not).

As some people have said, don't be afraid to weave in GHW/HS. Also, your healing can be drastically effected by your raid as a whole. Like someone mentioned, if you're on a fight where your raid can easily be stacked, make sure to let them know it. Not being able to using HR will not only reduce your overall healing, but it will also make healing harder for you and the other healers. Don't forget that if you play with high caliber players, your mastery won't be as valuable as it will for others. I'm not saying to avoid mastery, rather that you factor that into the analysis of your heals post fight if you feel you are low. This next part is personal opinion. I originally disliked the new chain heal glyph, but as my raid continued to progress the tier, I tried it out, and have now dropped glyph of healing wave for it. While it puts a cd on CH, I find that I can actually get more use out of CH than I had before. Once again, this is just a personal opinion thing.

Mainly, you don't use healing rain enough. 500k healing from healing rain on protectors elite... you do realize ranged can stack up in P2/P3 and almost everyone has a dot on them right?

Actually before p3 , any healing rain is 75% ore more overhealing, as there is no dmg coming in if people are able to press their interrupt buttons, and the hp % buff ancestral vigor is its only benefit, and that isnt even needed... the only phase healing rain has a reason to be used, is p3 in this bossfight, and perhaps in p2 if u want to have a awesome hasted hr with 2 addtional ticks, fully overhealing. i use this hastebuff for dps mostly