Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Portal Transportation in 5.2 is a bad idea.

Not just in 5.2 if you recall Cataclysm.

I haven't seen everything of the new content in 5.2, however so far I've seen a lot of portals that lead me to believe that getting to the Isle of Thunder and Isle of Giants will be done via portals, and to get to the entrance of the Raid will also be done by portals.

Now I may be wrong and have seen some really early content that didnt have the real forms of transportation active yet, but this seems like a terrible idea waiting to happen.

Am I the only person who really hates linking zones together using portals? It feels so damn lazy...

Deleted
    'Players on the PTR can teleport to the Isle of the Thunder King at their faction shrines in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.'

This makes me think that the portals are there for PTR only.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroxi View Post
    'Players on the PTR can teleport to the Isle of the Thunder King at their faction shrines in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.'

This makes me think that the portals are there for PTR only.

I severely hope so. Permanent portals would really ruin what otherwise looks to be a 10/10 patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are flightpaths somehow more immersive than portals? But I agree with Aroxi in that the wording suggests that they are for testing only.

Why wouldn't you want a more convenient method of getting where you're going?

I fail to see any negative impact if this would go live, but i simply think this is just for ptr convenience.
    They want their content tested, so they make it easy to get to said content, otherwise they wont have data but just anectodal evidence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Why are flightpaths somehow more immersive than portals? But I agree with Aroxi in that the wording suggests that they are for testing only.
    Now, I haven't played WoW since a few months, but 5.2 isn't live is it? I think they worded it as in PTR only, to not confuse players that it's currently in-game.

I imagine it being something like Cata zones portals, you unlock it once u do a certain quest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Patch 2.4 on the PTR was hilarious. There were no premades and the character copy queue was like 2 weeks long. People were making level 1 blood elves and corpse running across fatigue water just to see the isle of quel'danas. The QQ fest from level 1's on the isle and from players on the forum was deafeningly hilarious.

It was almost as loud as the "omg I didn't get my pandaria beta invite, Blizzard you jerks!"

I wouldn't mind if the portals stay permanent. Taking a flight path there the first time, or flying there the first time is going to seem fun, but the 20th week in a row that you do it you're going to wish there were portals.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I believe in the beta of mists there were auctioneers in the shrines in the vale too.... but they didnt make it to live. These things are often put into a beta to direct the flow of people to the features they want to be tested. Personally I would not have a problem if portals were left but it also doesn't take long to fly. I often fly around pandaria rather than hearth because I may want to go to a home city for an AH and want to hearth back again - so I keep my hearth off CD. It doesn't take long. I personally dont see the great lore advantage of having to move slowly around but I'm pretty much used to it now. Anyway - isnt the thunder isle the large island to the north of townlong steppes? It doesnt take long to fly there really.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that this island won't show on map, just like tol barad.

Maybe the portal appears after most of the island is opened on live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zirp View Post
    but tol barad is on the map i think you mean the molten front firelands zone

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't we have both ??
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Not really with patched in zones like these, but I find it very dull intercontinental transit is handled with a portal. Jumping on the zep to Borean Tundra/Howling Fjord activated a nordic piece of music and when you arrived to Northrend you could admire the world while the zep still made its way to the docks.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zirp View Post
    It's already on the map since 5.0 :')
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

When Dalaran was a portal hub were the best of days. Being able to quickly navigate the world is a big benefit to game play and I often find myself putting things off because of the travel time.

Portals drove my fathers business bankrupt, my mother went hungry, my brothers...... my poor brothers, all they have to eat was conjured mana bread

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Maybe the portal appears after most of the island is opened on live.
    Probably something like this. The portal from the shrine will come as the dailies progress, while if there's a portal to the raid entrance, it may be there at the beginning simply as an expedient when the island isn't fully opened. Remember the panic when people thought they couldn't get into the Firelands raid without opening the Molten Front?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I never understood this either.

ZOMG FLIGHT PATHS! YEAH!!! SO MUCH MORE IMMERSIVE AND REALISTIC!!! I LOVE HOW IT TAKES TIME TO GET PLACES!!!
    /tabs out to watch pr0n while waiting