Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Yeah I gathered that He seems to adopt the 5 year olds stance of 'if I can shout louder then my point is more valid'
    5 years? That stance has been valid ever since the dinosaurs (Trex1: raaaarw, Trex2: RAAAAARRWH = Trex2 wins)

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want him back, dump him somewhere else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Trying to live in a dreamworld where crime doesn't exist and nobody needs to defend themselves seems pretty insane to me. That isn't reality at all.
    I never had to defend myself other then in verbal battles and whit some boxing/wrestling matches vs friends, do I live in a dreamworld? Where's my candycane house?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    False; it was conceived so that the common man would be able to use whatever weapons his government wielded. How else would you be able to defend yourself against them?

Don't take that the wrong way; I absolutely believe in stricter gun-control, and personally, I don't see any reason that any citizen should be able to own a concealable weapons (ie. handguns, Uzi's).
    I'm with you on the first part, but you lost me on the second. I see these two views as a contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You no, I have not.

We have the 2nd Amendment because at the time of the constitution the US was very much a frontier nation and the framers argued against a standing military. Guess what, we have a standing military and a huge percentage of the US is no longer a frontier nation.
    To quote the Patriot: "An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as a king can."

That fact hasn't changed at all. Not being a frontier nation anymore is irrelevant.

Also, @Pvt Hudson: What is a smegger? I must know.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I never had to defend myself other then in verbal battles and whit some boxing/wrestling matches vs friends, do I live in a dreamworld? Where's my candycane house?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Van_Themsche ?

Crime exists, even in Antwerp apparently.

Trying to live in a dreamworld where crime doesn't exist and nobody needs to defend themselves seems pretty insane to me. That isn't reality at all.
    You know if people thought like that throughout history places like America wouldn't even exist? If you lived in the 1700's you would probably say "Trying to live in a dreamworld where people live free and aren't under the reign of king is insane".

You can't achieve a world of peace if everyone is worried about war so much that they add to it. World peace might not be a reality right now but don't rule things out for the future.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    All i can say is keep the smegger we dont want him back.
    this times MILLION hell we'll pay someone to keep him in their basement we dont want him back EVER...in fact if he vanishes that wouldnt be such a bad thing either

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    You know if people thought like that throughout history places like America wouldn't even exist? If you lived in the 1700's you would probably say "Trying to live in a dreamworld where people live free and aren't under the reign of king is insane".

You can't achieve a world of peace if everyone is worried about war so much that they add to it. World peace might not be a reality right now but don't rule things out for the future.
    I think 'going to war' is quite the opposite of what I'm talking about. If the American people actually had control over our own government, we wouldn't be at war right now - the world would probably be a lot more peaceful.

Also, while 'world peace' might exist in some mythical future utopia, giving up all our guns today for a perfect hopeful tomorrow is insane. We aren't living in that world, it's crazy to pretend we are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    He's not. Piers actually had several others before pulling Alex Jones on. It was a bait-and-switch. Piers was a smarmy, arrogant twit to the other pro-gun-rights people, and it showed, so he pulled someone on to the show that he knew would destroy his own argument.
    Good LOL, that would have been weird.
    I only watched the Alex Jones segment because the yelling and monkeying about caught my attention, I switched to a different channel afterwards.

Anyhow since I now posted on the subject, don't shoot me please, but I'll share my opinion about this stuff, even if I'm not American. I think it's impossible and unreasonable at this point for you guys over there to ban weapons. It's impossible simply because of the sheer amount of them in people's hands and american gun culture. Imo some other way has to be found to prevent tragedies like the one at the school. Perhaps addressing mental health and making people more responsible with their guns.
    In my home country we can own any types of weapons (not heavy ones ofc), even fully automatic ones if we want to, however we have never ever had a mass shooting so far. Admittedly I come from a tiny country in the middle east, so there aren't that many people to begin with. However if I'd steal my dad's weapon and commited a crime with it, my dad would be liable to go to jail as well for being irresponsible with it and would also have his license withdrawn. I'm not sure that is a crime over there, perhaps it would entice people to keep them in a more secure way.

Just my 2 cents, please don't shoot me, I only shared my opinion, and I don't really have any sort of personal interest in the US gun debate.

Deleted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Van_Themsche ?

Crime exists, even in Antwerp apparently.
    Indeed it does, but no one from Antwerp felt the need to carry concealed arms all of a sudden, because we know this is an isolated case and we are not so easily scared.

Why didn't you link this case? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendermonde_nursery_attack ? The attacker used a knife (because he couldn't get hold of a firearms) and killed 'only' 3 people and wounded 12, if firearms where more available here that would have been 12 death and 3 wounded.
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-01-10 at 03:36 PM.

I'm with you on the first part, but you lost me on the second. I see these two views as a contradiction.
    Well, in regards to stricter gun-control, I mean that, honestly, there are some really shady practices surrounding gun-sales. A gun-owner being able to pretend to have a "gun show" and sell a gun without any sort of background-check; stuff like that happens all the time. I think the common law-abiding citizen should have the right to arm themselves, but if you have a criminal past -- and the gun vendor being forced to run a proper background-check before the sale -- perhaps you forfeit that right, assuming it's a felony.

As far as concealable weapons, I just think those don't serve a purpose of "defending against your government". The only purpose they really serve is that they're handy, and you can hide them -- neither are traits I think should be promoted. I believe guns are a means of standing against your government, and even if you shot/hunt for sport, a handgun has absolutely zero application beyond convenience. Even law-enforcement, I would like seeing their handguns phased-out, and slowly adopt more traditional, perhaps even single-action rifles. That might be going a bit far, though, but just my personal thoughts on that.

Indeed it does, but no one from Antwerp felt the need to carry concealed arms all of a sudden, because we know this is an isolated case and we are not so easily scared.
    "Indeed, but no one from American felt the need to surrender all their weapons to the government, because we know this is an isolated case."

I think 'going to war' is quite the opposite of what I'm talking about. If the American people actually had control over our own government, we wouldn't be at war right now - the world would probably be a lot more peaceful.

Also, while 'world peace' might exist in some mythical future utopia, giving up all our guns today for a perfect hopeful tomorrow is insane. We aren't living in that world, it's crazy to pretend we are.
    The problem is when you fear something bad happening so much that you need to have guns (or even nuclear weapons on a larger scale) you just invite it to happen. Killing only brings more killing. At what point do people stop and say "ok lets put down the weapons and forget about them"?

Now I understand that the world isn't a safe or great place right now, No one can really argue that. But if we want to make this world a better place we have to do everything we can to make that change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaank View Post
    remember, America's population is much larger than say England and the stats Morgan keeps bringing up is very manipulated. You can not use the stats Morgan uses as a good comparative
    If you convert the stats shown there as rough percentages in relation to their respective populations (I believe it was 11000 out of 311,591,917 in the US and 35 out of 62,641,000 in the UK) you get 0.004% of the US population and 0.00006% of the UK population. Take from that what you will.

Why didn't you link this case? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendermonde_nursery_attack ? The attacker used a knife (because he couldn't get hold of a firearms) and killed 'only' 3 people and wounded 12, if firearms where more available here that would have been 12 death and 3 wounded.
    Or while we're just making things up, if he had a gun he would have only harmed 3 babies before help came instead of 15, before he rode away on his bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    If you convert the stats shown there as rough percentages in relation to their respective populations (I believe it was 11000 out of 311,591,917 in the US and 35 out of 62,641,000 in the UK) you get 0.004% of the US population and 0.00006% of the UK population. Take from that what you will.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ooa98FHuaU0
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-01-10 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    Or while we're just making up things that could have happened, maybe if he used a gun instead of a knife, he would have alerted nearby people and wouldn't have been able to harm 15 babies before riding away on his bike.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Li%C3%A8ge_attack
    This guy wounded 100+ and killed 3 people on a public place, I think people where alerted very fast, didn't stop him from making more casualties tough.

And still people here don't want guns to be more available, I guess our police force is more reliable/trustworthy. (Even tough there are some real douches that join the force).

Gosh, I guess you didn't get it the first time I said it.

"Indeed, but no one from American felt the need to surrender all their weapons to the government, because we know this is an isolated case."
    You're such a sterotype, bro!

Deleted
    Or while we're just making things up, if he had a gun he would have only harmed 3 babies before help came instead of 15, before he rode away on his bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ooa98FHuaU0

I don't believe i stated anywhere that I believed the stats that Morgan or Jones stated were accurate, i merely converted them into percentages

Deleted
    Good point.
    Anyway, why should I care about American guncontrol? Make them free for all I care (Because why should rich people be able to have more guns then poor people? Equality needs to be ensured, thats also in the constitution.)
    As long as guncontrol remains very strict over here, it shouldn't concern me. Well apart for the impressive forum discussions it causes.

Have a nice day
    Also, Piers can come to Belgium if he wants, should be great fun, another public figure for us to mock! xD
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2013-01-10 at 04:08 PM.