The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up [CES 2013] Crucial Demonstrates DDR4-2133MHz RAM!!!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6619/c...r42133-modules

We’re not likely to be running DDR4 any time soon on desktops, and even most laptops are probably over a year away from getting the upgrade, but now is the time to prepare for the shift. To that end, Micron (Crucial) has a DDR4 demonstration running at CES 2013. The system is an Intel test platform with undisclosed internal hardware, affectionately (or perhaps not) referred to as the Frankenstein Box. My guess is that there might be an Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, or current-gen Xeon running in the box with a converter board of some sort to allow the DDR4 to talk to the DDR3 on-die controller (similar to the RDRAM to SDRAM converters we saw back in the Pentium 4 Rambus days), but how they’re running it right now isn’t particularly important so much as the fact that they are able to run Windows. It’s just as possible that the box has an unannounced next generation Xeon with a DDR4 controller.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    what improvements would the next gen of ram provide over ddr3? (mostly from gaming PoV?)

10+ Year Old Account
    None, outside of the normal 'bigger better'

It's faster, and the next generation of systems will support DDR4. Just like DDR, DDR2, DDR3, had no 'improvements' outside of higher speed, and lower voltage. DDR4 will likely be 1.2 volts.

RAM has not really innovated since DDR was developed. All they've done is incrementally knocked down the internal clock. New 'versions' were simply made to reduce power structure, and make it proprietary for certain generations of hardware.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-10 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1.2v is indeed correct, Chazus.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...aybe-too-soon/

The Joint Electron Devices Engineering Council (JEDEC) is expected to sign off on a final DDR4 standard this summer. But a draft of the spec and its key attributes were issued last August. Those preliminary specs call for DDR4 memory to operate at a maximum of 1.2 volts (20 percent less than current DDR3 memory) and achieve data transfer rates of 3.2 billion transfers per second (double that of the top-end speed of DDR3's memory bus).
    Micron's initial memory DDR4 units will handle transfer speeds of 2.4 billion memory transfers per second, with later versions ramping up to the 3.2 gigatransfers per second top-end rate defined by JEDEC; right now, that translates to roughly the same number of bits per second in throughput. Samsung has advertised a throughput of 2.113 gigabits per second for its DDR4.
    (Though I do not believe the next gen of systems will support DDR4, last I heard it won't really become the norm until 2014-2015.)
    "A flower.

It'll probably be the "special snowflake" entry on the spec sheet for the Haswell equivalent to the 3930k and 3960X, and standard in the next generation for everybody.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yarp.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26...erver-platform

Not until 2015 should we see Intel's 14nm Broadwell successor platform, which will officially bring support for ultra low-voltage, fourth-generation DDR4 modules to desktop users. Nevertheless, enterprise users will be getting DDR4 support even sooner with 22nm Haswell-EX 4-socket platform sometime in 2013.

4 CPU sockets? Bloody hell (pardon my French).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Oh damn. That's new. Granted the last I read about DDR4 was ~3 months ago, so I suppose things have possibly changed a bit.
    "A flower.

Server/Enterprise level already have quad sockets.

DDR4 specifications already established by JEDEC. This is just showing it off. It's just memory that's clocked higher. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I know they were already established, I believe I made a thread 3-4 months back. Just happy to see them actually being implemented in something!
    "A flower.