Thread: Monk leveling

Monk leveling

So I'm planning to level a monk. I want to do this fast as possible I dont really enjoy leveling I want it to be max level to do raids and lfr and such.

I am wondering what is is the fastest way to lvl? I am planning to go tank and just spam dungeons. Or is it faster to go dps and do quests with dungeons??

your's sincerley,
    Soranis (or Sorasora as my monk will be named)

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

Deleted
    Spec fire and use Aoe > moneyz, u win

Quote Originally Posted by Krusokat View Post
    Spec fire and use Aoe > moneyz, u win
    <3 luv you!!

C.M.S, My favorite thing to start the morning with.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, spec BrM (tank) span dungeons, do the daily to get the +50% xp, complete all the dungeon quests and enjoy. It took me just over 1.5 days /played to hit 85, then it slows down.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I spec'd BrM leveling. Tank was fastest way to level for me. Once I hit 85 thought I went to WW for dungeons but stayed BrM for questing. You may kill a little slower but you can kill a lot without issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soranis View Post
    So I'm planning to level a monk. I want to do this fast as possible I dont really enjoy leveling I want it to be max level to do raids and lfr and such.

I am wondering what is is the fastest way to lvl? I am planning to go tank and just spam dungeons. Or is it faster to go dps and do quests with dungeons??

your's sincerley,
    Brewmaster main spec and spam dungeons, if it gets tedious go offspec Windwalker and do a few quests till you get a new dungeon.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You get a regular quest every 10th level, after like 30, I started saving mine to help me burn through Wrath/Cata faster because it gives the same buff as the dailies. Also, I found (with an addon) that questing is usually faster depending on how bad the dungeon groups are.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

I stayed BrM the whole time. Picked up as many quests as possible and gathered up every mob I can possibly find in the area. Also once I out leveled the area, I moved on to the next area as fast as possible to gain more XP. Never finished one place, just kept moving.

Quote Originally Posted by toekneepark View Post
    I stayed BrM the whole time. Picked up as many quests as possible and gathered up every mob I can possibly find in the area. Also once I out leveled the area, I moved on to the next area as fast as possible to gain more XP. Never finished one place, just kept moving.
    This ^^
    Also , get all the heirlooms that you can get and do the monk daily quest to get extra XP boost !

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    This ^^
    Also , get all the heirlooms that you can get and do the monk daily quest to get extra XP boost !
    Oh what??? Dammit, didn't know about that

10+ Year Old Account
    I did RAF and saved my monk XP boosts for 85+. They made the grind at the earlier levels lower so saved it for the push to 90.

BrM is very powerful though you don't get some of the better tools until later, either way the tank queue for dungeons (random gives an XP bonus) is the best route imo.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

most important thing: log in once a day and do that monk daily quest. the +50%EP effect stacks!
    and it works for quests, so if you play longer than the buff holds one day, keep finished quests and give them in the next day after gettint the buff.
    and do dungeons regularly. there are so many dungeons(wings) that you get a new instance every 1-2 lvls, often with additional quests you get to complete the first time you're in it.

As mentioned before, doing dungeons as BrM with close to instant queues are a good way to level, as since BrM does decent damage questing on the side is a decent boost

for mine i specced Brewmaster and spammed dungeon up until 85 and at 85 i went WW with the Archeology BoA '' 463 ilvl agi polearm'' and it went really fast i was 2 shotting most mob while questing

But i guess just go with what you prefer , usualy i hate questing but with my monk it was different , WW is really nice to play. Maybe the only classe out ther that dosnt ramp up their dmg , you just have to jab and rising sun kick off CD '' like i said i was almost 1 shotting mob with rising sun kick''

Any decent lowbie tank guides out there? I've leveled my monk as WW up to 45 at this point because DPS-leveling is all I've ever done, but have been through the content to 85 enough that I wouldn't mind just BrM'ing the rest. However, a tank I'm not so added hand-holding would help, and most guides are focused on 90.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    most important thing: log in once a day and do that monk daily quest. the +50%EP effect stacks!
    and it works for quests, so if you play longer than the buff holds one day, keep finished quests and give them in the next day after gettint the buff.
    At the very least do this. The buff stacks. THE BUFF STACKS. (duration)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daagar View Post
    Any decent lowbie tank guides out there?
    The tanking sticky is worth a read and will cover everything you need to know about rotation. The big difference is you wont get Purifying Brew until 75 but you shouldn't need it until later really at lower levels.

Just keep Keg Smash on CD, Jab with your extra energy, and spend Chi on Blackout Kick + Guard. Don't fall into the trap of using Breath of Fire unless the incoming damage isn't an issue (I did RAF so can't say how much dungeons hit for at your level). Using Spinning Crane Kick instead of Jab when 3+ targets are available.

I'd suggest Power Strikes as it generates more Chi than Ascension will for you, but can give both a shot.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by Soranis View Post

your's sincerley,
    I leveled my monk as a healer and it went really fast. In dungeons i would fistweave and usually be able to top meters making the dungeons fly by. Questing is a bit slower than the WW but about the same as tank spec. Just a thought

Can also try and farm an XP potion on your main from the rare spawn in dread wastes.

Or just shell out to get a RAF account to get you from 1-80 then go from there.

Any decent lowbie tank guides out there?
    Monk tanking is something of an artform. It's not quite like Death knight tanking, where they start out durable and then recover some incoming damage as they start recieving it.

For trash, you'll use dizzying haze for ranged snap-aoe-threat (sort of like death and decay) Keg Smash is your top priority (regardless of number of targets) followed by expel harm and jab for chi generation. You want to spend chi on Blackout Kick (to get shuffle on), Guard (to spend stacks, and to soften incoming hard-hitting-attacks), and occasionally breath of fire if you need to AOE-interrupt trash (It disorients everything it hits, dosen't work on bosses, deals extra to targets hit by dizzying haze). at 46, you get spinning crane kick which kicks ass for aoe-tanking. Ideally, you'll grab 5+ and open with Haze to make life a little easier on your heals, then just SCK until a couple adds die off. once you're down to 3 mobs keep haze+breath of fire DoT rolling, and continue with kegsmash/expel harm/Blackout Kick/Guard.

You can Jab for free, so you shouldn't sit on your thumbs if you've got nothing to do. Jabbing empowers your next guard as well, so try and weave a jab in just before you hit guard for the extra bump.

If you want an overarching guide that's quick and easy to figure out what they're trying to tell you, try Noxxic or Icy Veins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    You can Jab for free, so you shouldn't sit on your thumbs if you've got nothing to do. Jabbing empowers your next guard as well, so try and weave a jab in just before you hit guard for the extra bump.
    He means Tiger Palm by the way. You'll have plenty of time to spam it when your Energy/Chi is empty.
    [/URL]