Thread: Titan Captured

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If anything a heroic only model should get less attention because few people see it.

Look at games like swtor every freaking race uses the same skeleton. As long as the texture and model is different who cares about an npc skeleton lol.
    Might be a placeholder too.

I mean, the original Jinyu used the Night elf skeletons.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post

Implying that the current Jinyu don't? Because they look like night elf skeletons to me...

They still do.

You can tell by the way he's standing and looking down (at where player's will be) that he's going to be HUGE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torunscar View Post
    You can tell by the way he's standing and looking down (at where player's will be) that he's going to be HUGE
    That's just the way the model is, with an arched back.

No, Ra-Den is the Thunderbeaver.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    Because all it is, is an already-existing titan watcher model with a few gouges on the arms and lightning sparks for eyes. It's lazy. Kind of like how the new troll models use the same skeleton as male night elves. It's lazy. All the money Blizzard makes and they do stuff like re-use skeletons and recolor already-existing models to no end. It may not look "bad" but that doesn't mean it looks great by any stretch of the imagination. A Heroic-only boss that is supposed to be THE source of all of the Thunder King's power and it's just a WotLK watcher model with a few re-skins? Disappointing. And those WotLK watcher models? They share the same skeletons and legs/feet as the AQ40/20 trash. Same exact thing with the constructs in Uldum.

I get that they are all Titan-related, but that does mean they can't update the skeletons. It's been 8 years for god's sake.
    It's not lazy. It's smart. Do you realize the work and time that would go into giving every single boss and trash mob their own unique skeleton and model? Every patch would be delayed months and months. People want Blizz to push out new content faster but create more unique models for everything? Cut me a break.

If it comes down to new models or more content, give me more content every time.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because all it is, is an already-existing titan watcher model with a few gouges on the arms and lightning sparks for eyes. It's lazy. Kind of like how the new troll models use the same skeleton as male night elves. It's lazy. All the money Blizzard makes and they do stuff like re-use skeletons and recolor already-existing models to no end. It may not look "bad" but that doesn't mean it looks great by any stretch of the imagination. A Heroic-only boss that is supposed to be THE source of all of the Thunder King's power and it's just a WotLK watcher model with a few re-skins? Disappointing. And those WotLK watcher models? They share the same skeletons and legs/feet as the AQ40/20 trash. Same exact thing with the constructs in Uldum.

I get that they are all Titan-related, but that does mean they can't update the skeletons. It's been 8 years for god's sake.

Now it may be the base model, but look at the face between that and the old models. Its at least slightly remodeled, but i think its a new model.

That makes me wonder the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post

Now it may be the base model, but look at the face between that and the old models. Its at least slightly remodeled, but i think its a new model.
    Oh trust you and me, I know the difference. And you have proven my point even further. The firelands bird models, while the textures and armor bits are nice, were lazy as well. They MOVE like proto drakes. They walk/fly/everything like PROTO-DRAKES. So even though the skins and armor bits may look different, you may as well just make another proto drake.

In fact, Blizzard has been so nortoriously lazy that the Dark Phoenix was out for months before they realized people hated the fact they gave it the drake roar when mounted.

Making new skeletons, btw, don't take ANY more resources than remodels and reskins do. They just take a bit more time, but in the end the extra work shows. When I look at a troll and I see it do the shoulder roll a male night elf does, all I see is a male night elf in a troll's skin, not a troll.

We could argue about this to no end, because some people think re-using skeletons a million times over is perfectly acceptable, and other don't, but don't act like Blizzard doesn't have the money, resources or art team capable of creating new models with new skeletons, because they DO.

God damnit, even the Shalings use the same models of the trash mobs in TBC 5mans like the Mechanar and such. Making new skins and recolouring them doesn't make them new. It just makes them feel like something old with a bit of new paint.

MoP has done well overall in the art department because most of the artwork has been entirely new, but it is perfectly acceptable for me to feel disappointed when Blizzard decides to take the easier route. Just because they have done a bunch of things the right way doesn't excuse the times when they don't.

Dragon Soul was the prime example of rehashes of old models and calling them "new." Easiest one of the worst, more unoriginal raids I have seen. Almost hated it as much as ToC10/25.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's Ra-Den, a titan watcher that was defeated by Lei Shen and now is used for his fleshcrafting and as the source of his great power.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Because all it is, is an already-existing titan watcher model with a few gouges on the arms and lightning sparks for eyes.
    I would be disappointed if it WASN'T like the other watchers models. Besides, they remodeled all the clothing, that are not like other watchers. So, yeah, you're disappointed because they didn't make a second version of the same species... Sorry, but the lazyness in here is yours in not pursuing to learn how 3D modelling work, to check and see they really worked on doing that especial gear for Ra-Den.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 03:35 AM ----------

I doubt the MODEL to be a placeholder, but I would expect the SKIN to be. They will probably repaint that as they did with Azshara.

Fundamentally, all humans have the same skeleton too. Do you walk around during your daily life and go "I hate the fact that all humans are so similar!"

I'm okay with using the same skeleton if the textures are amazing. Case in point - Mogu and Jinyu. Mogu use the Draenei skeleton, but they look a lot different, thus they look like a completely new race. Jinyu use Night Elf skeletons, but it's hard to tell by their fish heads, etc. Reskins, on the other hand, are not okay.

But if we're talking about bosses that are essentially the same race, I can be okay with reskins. This tier we got new boss models in Empress and Sha of Fear, plus Elegon / Tsulong, and Lei Shei are all pretty unique, even when compared to their base skeletons and other copies of them.

10+ Year Old Account

Making new skeletons, btw, don't take ANY more resources than remodels and reskins do. They just take a bit more time, but in the end the extra work shows. When I look at a troll and I see it do the shoulder roll a male night elf does, all I see is a male night elf in a troll's skin, not a troll.
    Time is a resource...a fairly valuable one to a company.

Oh trust you and me, I know the difference. And you have proven my point even further. The firelands bird models, while the textures and armor bits are nice, were lazy as well. They MOVE like proto drakes. They walk/fly/everything like PROTO-DRAKES. So even though the skins and armor bits may look different, you may as well just make another proto drake.

yada yada.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...egion=Americas

They don't have the Capacity, so they reuse Skeletons, as any Character Artist worth his money. OF COURSE does extra work show. Still doesn't change the Priority's for Content Development. And rigging the same effort as texturing/modeling? Don't talk out of your ass please .

Rigging animations takes a hell of a lot more time than you seem to imagine.
    It is a choice between new models and new animations, we aren't getting both. I would much rather they reuse skeletons where it is appropriate (and it is definitely appropriate to reuse a titan watcher skeleton for another titan watcher!) than they reuse models more because they're been wasting time making animations for things they already have perfectly serviceable skeletons for.

10+ Year Old Account

In fact, Blizzard has been so nortoriously lazy that the Dark Phoenix was out for months before they realized people hated the fact they gave it the drake roar when mounted.

We could argue about this to no end, because some people think re-using skeletons a million times over is perfectly acceptable, and other don't, but don't act like Blizzard doesn't have the money, resources or art team capable of creating new models with new skeletons, because they DO.

God damnit, even the Shalings use the same models of the trash mobs in TBC 5mans like the Mechanar and such. Making new skins and recolouring them doesn't make them new. It just makes them feel like something old with a bit of new paint.

MoP has done well overall in the art department because most of the artwork has been entirely new, but it is perfectly acceptable for me to feel disappointed when Blizzard decides to take the easier route. Just because they have done a bunch of things the right way doesn't excuse the times when they don't.

Dragon Soul was the prime example of rehashes of old models and calling them "new." Easiest one of the worst, more unoriginal raids I have seen. Almost hated it as much as ToC10/25.
    So, would you rather they not updated anything at all then? If they did it your way other areas of art would be lacking in some way, or patches would take longer. They have to find a nice balance which i think they have. For all you know, the art department is being "lazy" because they are working on the character models. As other people have said, does a titan watcher really need a new mode/skeleton if hes using a titan watcher model or skeleton?
    Last edited by Chickat; 2013-01-11 at 06:49 AM.

Alarm bells. To me it means well- blaring air raid sirens really. As of Wrath Azeroth was in such a state of disrepair that if the Titans weren't busy (doing titan things I assume) and bothered to notice they would "reset" the whole damn planet. Since then we've found and 'secured' at least the primary reset (there may be more), but the Titans could still 'problematic' too say the least.

For the above reasons anything drawing the Titans attention to Azeroth is BAD!