Pandaren Monk God Emperor Trump's Avatar

Any have experience with GameMaker?

I was thinking about trying to play around with it for fun. But knowing myself I will take it too seriously and try to make my own video game out of it...
    Bend the knee ... Heretic!

I've had Gamemaker Studio for a couple of years and mess around with it once in a while. I really like it.
    My science blog ants: AntyScience
    My youtube channel, filled with tutorials for many (complex) games Waervyns World

It useful for toying around for a bit for 2d games as a prototyping environment, as you can get something rough up and running very fast, but if you're even remotely serious about making games you're better off going directly to Unity, or just accepting you'll need c++ for Unreal Engine and heading that route. The development environment in GameMaker is terrible for resource management for any project that starts to grow in scope.

Depends on what kind of game you want to make. If you wanna make your own 2d game, sure try out gamemaker. If you want to "try" to make your own game or at least gain some understanding of how to do it, what it takes and so forth, get unreal4 or unity. I personally find Unreal to be more user friendly and robust to those that cant write code. Unreal 4s blueprint system is quite something.

Pandaren Monk God Emperor Trump's Avatar
    I am only interested in doing a 2D game. I downloaded the demo last night but didn't have a chance to really dive into it.
    Bend the knee ... Heretic!

Pandaren Monk
    It's a very solid 2D game engine. Admittedly I haven't used it in 2 to 3 years and it's meant to have gotten a lot better since then, I see the ever present Unity recommendation if you want to be "serious" but I wouldn't put my worst enemy through making a 2D game in unit frankly and there's a season people with experience tend to avoid it for those projects.

So ya Game Maker is perfectly fine, latest updates were meant to be great as well and it'll give you everything you need for a 2D game. 100% recommend it over Unity unless you need 3D in which case Unity is pull way ahead.

As someone who knew 0 about code and just picked it up to play around with it, it has a good amount of info out there and what was just a "mess around on one screen" kind of experiment is now turning into something pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

It's a great little program to make games, you can make amazing stuff with it if you devote yourself to it