I have not heard a single line of dialogue, music or sound effects since first installing the game. I play almost every game on mute. =P

I think this will be my final IW build: http://marvelheroes.info/builds/gen/...1:1:20:1_ut:20

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have not heard a single line of dialogue, music or sound effects since first installing the game. I play almost every game on mute. =P

I think this will be my final IW build: http://marvelheroes.info/builds/gen/...1:1:20:1_ut:20
    Generally that's how I play most mmo like games just because I play them alot and don't want to put on my headset so I don't disturb others. Regular games I'll put them on so I can hear it once.

Is Invisible Woman in a better place now? I remember trying her when she first came out and shelved her after awhile. Think I made it to 50 and stopped.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Is Invisible Woman in a better place now? I remember trying her when she first came out and shelved her after awhile. Think I made it to 50 and stopped.
    I still don't like her playstyle, but from what I've heard she's very strong now, probably even considered top tier.

I think most of the character lines actually fit their personality and such so I've never had an issue with it. Magneto's Holocaust statements, as your example, fits him because he was a child during the war and was locked up in a concentration camp and lost his parents. So it becomes a part of him and his revenge.

It's easier to understand some of the lines if you have know their past history by reading comics or looking them up.
    I'm aware of his history. The way it's presented in this videogame however, is not ok. It's a cheap line that cheapens what actually happened during the holocaust. At least XMen 1 had the guts to properly portrait it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm aware of his history. The way it's presented in this videogame however, is not ok. It's a cheap line that cheapens what actually happened during the holocaust. At least XMen 1 had the guts to properly portrait it.
    Since I haven't played him, I'm not fully sure which quote you are referring to. I found this page that has all his quotes.

"You may not remember me from when you liberated those camps all those years ago, Captain... but I assure you it is not forgotten." - In Reference to when he talks to Captain America which makes complete sense.

"This is a slap on the wrist compared to the genocide that has befallen my people." - When he's in battle and, to me, makes sense as he's handing out a beating and tell his foe that what he doing to them is nothing but a mere slap on the wrist and his people, during the war, suffered a far much worse fate. In other words, I'm going easy on you and things could be far far worse.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I don't really see how that's being taken as 'cheap'. Seems pretty appropriate actually.
    BAD WOLF

Generally that's how I play most mmo like games just because I play them alot and don't want to put on my headset so I don't disturb others. Regular games I'll put them on so I can hear it once.
    I am usually more in the mood to play my own music when gaming. :P

I don't really have anything to judge against really. When I first played Marvel Heroes the game was rather new, I had the starter hero and 2 others I uncapped for $10 or something; Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man and Capatain America (iirc). I may have gotten one via the random hero box thing, I don't recall. I played the game for about 2-3 weeks before moving on.

It's only in the past 2 weeks I began playing Marvel Heroes after hearing from colleagues at work of it's improvements.

So what I am posting here is largely my discovery of interesting or cool game mechanisms within the characters. I don't know who is considered "top tier" exactly, but in playing Sue Storm I am rather impressed by her ability to run the game. At least among the heroes I own. IW is a powerhouse.

What I do not kill in 1 or 2 shots of Sue Storm's Resonating Wave can not be killed in 1-2 shots by other characters either. Bosses last merely seconds on the highest difficulty rating, maybe 2 minutes tops (Loki and Doom take the longest to kill).

Sue's abilities are cheap to cast, can be cast quickly and she gains tankiness by using them. Perma-Invis with spirit and health regen increases while invisible make most encounters laughable. At WORST, I have to invis and chill in a corner for 10//s before having all my CDs refreshed and full HP/MP. There is no limit to how often I can do this either- like right in the middle of a boss fight I can do this.

Resonating Wave hits for +300% damage while invisible. You can do this 4 times, pop signature and blast the entire screen for millions of damage (which resets cooldowns) then Resonating Wave/invis wombo-combo 4 times again, then drop 3 15/s dots and Ultimate on top of this, signature and do it all over again. In like 1 minute. You can not be harmed while doing this either- mobs will de-aggro, are knocked back, stunned, slowed, weakened and can not target Sue Storm while all this is going on.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-05-21 at 03:25 PM.

"This is a slap on the wrist compared to the genocide that has befallen my people." - When he's in battle and, to me, makes sense as he's handing out a beating and tell his foe that what he doing to them is nothing but a mere slap on the wrist and his people, during the war, suffered a far much worse fate. In other words, I'm going easy on you and things could be far far worse.
    Eh..Yeah..so if it's 'just' saying that (duh) why would a game need to reference the holocaust even if it's Magneto? It has no place in there. He's a fictional character and while there's some (yet fake, from the realm of reality) emotional attachment in the comics, it's used as a 'funny' in MH the game. There's nothing funny about it.

To me, it's abuse of something really terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's used as a 'funny' in MH the game
    Is it really though? Is it also supposed to be funny when cap says Tony is noble under all the armor? No. It's supposed to be quick embodiment of the characters and their relationships with other characters. It just so happens that many of them are funny, but every phrase in the game isn't intended to be humor.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Is it really though? Is it also supposed to be funny when cap says Tony is noble under all the armor? No. It's supposed to be quick embodiment of the characters and their relationships with other characters. It just so happens that many of them are funny, but every phrase in the game isn't intended to be humor.
    I agree. That's the kind of person Captain America is, a classy, earnest fellow, a reminder of what was best of the 'Greatest Generation'. By contrast, his comment about rickrolling shenanigans is a bit silly, but it's also in the vein of his sort of mindset. And it made me laugh when I heard it, because it fits the character.

Is it really though?
    Yeah, I do think each and every comment in the game is meant to make people smile. We might disagree on that topic, but then we better agree to disagree.

Yeah, I do think each and every comment in the game is meant to make people smile. We might disagree on that topic, but then we better agree to disagree.
    I think you need to get your funny bone checked out or something. Do you really think that Gaz would be stupid enough to make Magnetos holocaust references a joke or something that would make people laugh or smile? for a video game i think they did an ok job of showing us in as few lines/dialogue as possible what and why Magneto is angry. There are other things in game too which if Gaz made a joke out of a lot of people would take offense. Like did you know that Wiccan is gay? do you think that Gaz is going to make jokes about how Wiccan is gay? and risk offending the pro LGBT players in the game?

Another thing too though...Magneto has the holocaust event in his past BUT there is also the struggle of mutantkind. That line that Lucetia mentioned "slap on the wrist compared to the genocide that has befallen my people". Could that not also be talking about Magnetos experience with mutant genocide? it could be talking about the holocaust and it could be talking about mutant struggles we dont know because they arent being specific. Just because the line mentions "genocide" doesnt mean they are specifically talking the Jewish Holocaust. Though i tend to think that the line is talking about mutant genocide at the hands of non mutants. If most of his lines in game *do* reference mutant vs nonmutant struggles, it would be strange that one of his lines would be talking about his holocaust past. Some of the chapters in game have you fighting against Stryker and his Puritans so the mutant vs nonmutant struggle *is* in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    I think you need to get your funny bone checked out or something.
    I think there is no need for personal insult at any level I principally disagree, without emotional response. I think, with my brain, that it's out of line. You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

I think there is no need for personal insult at any level I principally disagree, without emotional response. I think, with my brain, that it's out of line. You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.
    I meant it as a joke not an insult...

Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    I meant it as a joke not an insult...
    HA. HA.

You comedian

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ok with you personally just not liking it being referenced, which is a personal issue of sensitivity, but I'm not ok with willfully disregarding a character's lore from source material in order to be mad at them evoking that in a video game.

In any event, I don't want to beat you up about it nor do I wish to talk us in circles. You just brought it up so I was clarifying the objective nature of Magneto's lore. So with that, I will mention that the Holocaust reference is a direct correlation to the entire storyline of mutants and the X-men in general. Magneto is the ultimate representation of that aspect, having lived through it, and it motivates his ideology and opposition to Xavier/X-Men as a whole. Maybe that puts it in a better light for you, but maybe not. I don't seek to change your mind, merely to provide information.

With that, I'm gonna drop it.
    BAD WOLF

I'm ok with you personally just not liking it being referenced, which is a personal issue of sensitivity, but I'm not ok with willfully disregarding a character's lore from source material in order to be mad at them evoking that in a video game.

In any event, I don't want to beat you up about it nor do I wish to talk us in circles. You just brought it up so I was clarifying the objective nature of Magneto's lore. So with that, I will mention that the Holocaust reference is a direct correlation to the entire storyline of mutants and the X-men in general. Magneto is the ultimate representation of that aspect, having lived through it, and it motivates his ideology and opposition to Xavier/X-Men as a whole. Maybe that puts it in a better light for you, but maybe not. I don't seek to change your mind, merely to provide information.

With that, I'm gonna drop it.
    Again, I am aware of it I've missed out on a large part of American comics during my childhood, but X-Men and Spiderman are not among them. sensitivity has nothing to do with it, I objectively protest against the usage. It's a simple question of interpretation and I simply think I correctly interpret and therefore correctly disapprove.

That was my last as well. Just wanted to set straight that I'm neither misinformed nor emotionally wrecked.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was my last as well. Just wanted to set straight that I'm neither misinformed nor emotionally wrecked.
    I never claimed as much. When I said sensitivity issue, I meant that genuinely and not with contempt. I'm not going to challenge someone's sensitivity as I am very sensitive to many topics myself. I know I said I wouldn't keep the subject going, and I'm not, I just wanted to clarify I did not mean that as a personal affront. If it sounded that way, I apologize.
    BAD WOLF

Eh..Yeah..so if it's 'just' saying that (duh) why would a game need to reference the holocaust even if it's Magneto? It has no place in there. He's a fictional character and while there's some (yet fake, from the realm of reality) emotional attachment in the comics, it's used as a 'funny' in MH the game. There's nothing funny about it.

To me, it's abuse of something really terrible.
    It's far, far more likely that it is a line referencing things like the destruction of Genosha - Magneto was the leader of that island nation/mutant community, after all - where close to 16 million mutants were killed and their city/nation they called home reduced to rubble, as well as a specific call out to the killings that the Purifier organization engages in within the context of the story in the game itself.

It's also clearly not meant to be used as a funny - not every line delivered is of a comedic nature (there obviously are lines meant to be funny, just as their are lines meant to be more heartwarming, and others meant to reference moments/events/background that is painful or sad to a given hero), and this particular one falls clearly outside that intended use.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing last weekend and wooohooo, this game is a blast!

My 2nd or 3rd login reward was 400 ES and I used them to buy a mystery hero box, and I ended up with Rogue. So far, she's crazy fun! I absorbed the powers of Hulk, Cyclops and the Living Laser, so I'm dashing around super speed smashing everything on the screen with two buttons.

My free character passed 10 was Punisher since I enjoyed his comics the most. He was crazy fun but I got bored of him quick.

- - - Updated - - -

The closest offensive funny saying would be the interaction between Deadpool and Luke Cage.