Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How AoE looting has changed wow

AoE looting has only been in wow for a short time yet I can hardly remember a time before it. It just feels..so right, many other games had it for such a long time that it felt long over due. There are those who think of aoe looting as some sort of a conspiracy to give players less loot, or that less loot is given just no one notices since you still get more loot / time spent.

Is aoe loot a good or a bad thing? Is there a conspiracy behind aoe loot? What is the biggest benefit aoe loot has for you personally? What is your favourite spot to farm using aoe loot? Do you farm more with aoe loot now than before?

For me the biggest and best part of it is leveling, it has completely changed leveling for me. Before I could not be bothered to loot, the few coppers and low value grey items were simply not worth the loss of xp gaining time. But now I can kill / aoe grind as many mobs as possible and actually get treasure off them without slowing down my speed at all. Before I would not loot other than mobs needed for professions / quest loot I would not loot until at least late lvl 30s and even then I skipped about half the mobs all the way to outlands. It has completely brought me back to the time when I did not have lots of gold and every object looted meant more gold for me!

You get less money per mob now than before. Other than that the loot levels are similar to what they were before but not quite as good.

10+ Year Old Account
    It boggles the mind at how long it took to get it into the game, really. It's just necessary

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swunt View Post
    Is aoe loot a good or a bad thing?
    AOE looting is a great thing. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but its yet another example of blizz completely failing in an area of the game on purpose soley so they could call it an upgrade later. Rep grinding on alts anyone?

More explanation: its much easier to create pockets of almost great content and later make it actually great, than to come up with exceptional content to begin with. Time has shown that has been exactly the case with wow. Anyone remember having to select a new flight point every time you got to a new one? Just read the Vanilla wow threads about how things were great. All of the crap things were by design so they could improve them later.
    Last edited by Winstonwolfe; 2012-11-26 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    You get less money per mob now than before. Other than that the loot levels are similar to what they were before but not quite as good.
    source? Or is that just your general feeling

source? Or is that just your general feeling
    Strat runs before were easily 40-50g just looting money per run, now its 15-20 per if you even get that much. Much less Runecloth per run also. I've ran Strat far too many times to count.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I'm AoE'ing a pack of mobs, I still loot as soon as any die while I'm kiting the rest around instead of waiting for them all to die and only looting once. Old habits die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    When I'm AoE'ing a pack of mobs, I still loot as soon as any die while I'm kiting the rest around instead of waiting for them all to die and only looting once. Old habits die hard.
    I was doing the same thing for so long! But some suggest looting mobs one at a time actually increases your yield, perhaps looting every few mobs not such a bad idea after all

Strat runs before were easily 40-50g just looting money per run, now its 15-20 per if you even get that much. Much less Runecloth per run also. I've ran Strat far too many times to count.
    Hmm, maybe that has absolutely nothing to do with AoE looting and more to do with how Blizzard nerfed the gold droprates and based them on how many players are in your group. They basically make the gold scale with how many members are in your run so you will receive the same amount for solo'ing something as you would if you were to kill it in a group.

I used to run strat all the way back since BC and I did not notice the gold dropped, but I noticed a definite reduction in not only cloth but greys and boe greens / blues / epics as well

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 04:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by matters View Post
    Hmm, maybe that has absolutely nothing to do with AoE looting and more to do with how Blizzard nerfed the gold droprates and based them on how many players are in your group. They basically make the gold scale with how many members are in your run so you will receive the same amount for solo'ing something as you would if you were to kill it in a group.
    Do you believe that they just nerfed coin drop? or have you noticed any reduction in vendor trash as well, I think I have but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me

Nothing to do with AOE loot, they nerfed the drops in all dungeons/raids.

Edit: Woot post 4000
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    AOE looting is a great thing. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but its yet another example of blizz completely failing in an area of the game on purpose soley so they could call it an upgrade later. Rep grinding on alts anyone?

More explanation: its much easier to create pockets of almost great content and later make it actually great, than to come up with exceptional content to begin with. Time has shown that has been exactly the case with wow. Anyone remember having to select a new flight point every time you got to a new one? Just read the Vanilla wow threads about how things were great. All of the crap things were by design so they could improve them later.
    Well are they really crap by design ? It seems blizzard copies a fair amount from other games as they are being announced the biggest one for me was Destructible Buildings, did they always have these things in mind and just never got around to adding/fixing/tweaking them is that what you're suggesting? I remember having to select a new flight path, I wouldn't say that today's is better just different, before made for a more epic feeling / another grind (get all the fp grinds) now it feels like being sped through content and there are FPs I own on a character but have both never been there and never will go there

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Nothing to do with AOE loot, they nerfed the drops in all dungeons/raids.

Edit: Woot post 4000
    They nerfed all of the dungeons/raids when they added AoE looting.

Didn't they just nerf coin drops?

Do you believe that they just nerfed coin drop? or have you noticed any reduction in vendor trash as well, I think I have but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me
    Vendor trash still seems to be the same as it was before.

Isn't that because they redid Strat and Scholo... of course they're going to be different now.

Didn't they just nerf coin drops?
    Yes just the coin drops.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Isn't that because they redid Strat and Scholo... of course they're going to be different now.
    Undead side remains virtually unchanged.

Deleted
    it's just a pity it doesn't include corpses 25+ yards away
    and sometimes you have to loot twice to get all the stuff from exceptionally large pulls

sigh, first world problems

Strat seems like its not very profitable for your time anyways, if you could suggest somewhere that takes great advantage of aoe loot where would it be

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 04:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyEU View Post
    it's just a pity it doesn't include corpses 25+ yards away
    and sometimes you have to loot twice to get all the stuff from exceptionally large pulls

sigh, first world problems
    You couldn't have read my mind any better, when farming for Cata green twink items for my alts I like to fight the troggs in deepholm that are by the friendly npcs, it would be perfect if it looted mobs even just a little further away so often I run for a corpse thats just past the loot range, is it even worth the time spent walking over there to loot just one mob?

IIRC they were planning to do it anyway.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno