Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Lazuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Your Moms House
    Posts
    1,088

    What do you guys think of jumping puzzles in WoW?

    Personally I am not a fan of them in GW2 but then again their jumping mechanics really suck dick sometimes.

    Seeing as how Blizz usually releases quality, I am kind of looking forward to them. What are your thoughts? I think it's a funny blatant rip-off but I honestly don't care, just one more thing to do in the game.

  2. #2
    There have already been a few.

    They can be interesting in small doses-- I like them as solo exploration features, not as the "group puzzle" in Blackfathom Deeps where you occasionally get that one person who just cannot make the jump for the life of them, and then they drop group.

    On the subject of puzzles, I loved the secret Klaxxi daily. It was simple, but I figured it out myself right after I reached the area around the 2nd day of the expansion, before information about it was online. Hope to see more things like that.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord ViridianWRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    There have already been a few.

    They can be interesting in small doses-- I like them as solo exploration features, not as the "group puzzle" in Blackfathom Deeps where you occasionally get that one person who just cannot make the jump for the life of them, and then they drop group.

    On the subject of puzzles, I loved the secret Klaxxi daily. It was simple, but I figured it out myself right after I reached the area around the 2nd day of the expansion, before information about it was online. Hope to see more things like that.
    Same! Was doing dailies with a friend I hit 90 with... Saw these weird glowing runes... Called her over, read the little tablet thing and felt very proud for noticing something most people would have glazed over.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Lazuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Your Moms House
    Posts
    1,088
    BFD is hardly a jump puzzle, I mean like this


  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    5,879
    No. I hate jumping puzzles. In an offline game w/o latency sure. But not in an online environment where one lag = you have to do all that crap again.
    Besides: Many GW2 jumping puzzles felt really buggy at times and you constantly fought with the camera. <_<

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Wizard- (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Same! Was doing dailies with a friend I hit 90 with... Saw these weird glowing runes... Called her over, read the little tablet thing and felt very proud for noticing something most people would have glazed over.
    I liked it too, but it was annoying. I'd ask for pple in guild and zone, nobody knew what I was talking about. I'd end up just AFK'ing on the rune while I watched TV. After I got it done, I'd sit on the rune to summon again for anyone else walking by, but if it was an Alliance person they'd fly off immediately.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral Lazuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Your Moms House
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No. I hate jumping puzzles. In an offline game w/o latency sure. But not in an online environment where one lag = you have to do all that crap again.
    Besides: Many GW2 jumping puzzles felt really buggy at times and you constantly fought with the camera. <_<
    I know, I agree. But it seems Blizz wants to implement them :3

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No. I hate jumping puzzles. In an offline game w/o latency sure. But not in an online environment where one lag = you have to do all that crap again.
    Besides: Many GW2 jumping puzzles felt really buggy at times and you constantly fought with the camera. <_<
    Jumping puzzles in non-2D games usually suck.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

  9. #9
    Not sure about jumping ones i rembmer some of the early wow dungeons have jumping bits and the time it took, i really like the DDO puzzles thought. its the one thing WoW lacks.

  10. #10
    I really don't think their jumping mechanics are that bad lol.. I've never had any trouble with them. Just sounds like you want jumping puzzles in your favourite game ... to which I respond, I think they are good in every MMO provided they are not in other content - simply because BFD.

    Wasn't even a jumping puzzle but omg so annoying when people failed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

  11. #11
    Remember the small jump players had to do for Thaddius? They couldn't even handle that.

  12. #12
    There was that 1 quest in Deepholm where you bang the crystal and fight the dragon while jumping onto floating rocks. That could have easily turned into a jumping puzzle instead of a brainless vehicle mount.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

  13. #13
    Hate them with a passion. No matter how many times I ran the dungeon, I was always "that person' in your Dungeon finder group that would fall into the water 4 or 5 times in BFD trying to make that one stupid jump.

  14. #14
    Field Marshal Lulleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    95
    If done right (I trust blizzard would be able to pull it off) I think this could be a pretty cool idea. I remember doing something similar on some private servers back in TBC. Obstacle Courses, as they were called. Was really fun, and challenging. Obviously it wasn't fancy or anything, like, one part I remember was like a lot of chairs next to each other that you'd click yourself into etc and dno, flying plain chairs is a bit weird I guess. Oh, and there's counter strike, but those are just retardedly hard sometimes. :P

    But yeah, don't have to be any specific rewards or anything, just like the brawling we got today. Some achievements and some heirlooms or what ever.

    +1

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Lazuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Your Moms House
    Posts
    1,088
    JP don't have to be in content. They are side content by themselves, anyway sackman I don't even really like them so no I don't want them in my "favorite game". Not sure why you guys think one simple jump is an entire jumping puzzle I don't remember a JP in BFD, 2 completely different things.

    In case no one knows wtf I'm talking about http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/jum...s-come-to-wow/

    Quote Originally Posted by Lulleh View Post
    If done right (I trust blizzard would be able to pull it off) I think this could be a pretty cool idea. I remember doing something similar on some private servers back in TBC. Obstacle Courses, as they were called. Was really fun, and challenging. Obviously it wasn't fancy or anything, like, one part I remember was like a lot of chairs next to each other that you'd click yourself into etc and dno, flying plain chairs is a bit weird I guess. Oh, and there's counter strike, but those are just retardedly hard sometimes. :P

    But yeah, don't have to be any specific rewards or anything, just like the brawling we got today. Some achievements and some heirlooms or what ever.

    +1
    I used to do those with my bro too, and I am a frequent CoD4 advanced jumper

  16. #16
    I support just about any idea that promotes adding more puzzles and similar challenges to the game. Some of them can even be used in raids and dungeons, be that as new mechanics or environmental designs.

    Jumping is a field that is currently still very unexplored in WoW and could use some nurturing, but even though MoP greatly improved the way the game determines a character's position there are still some minor issues with the way hitboxes interact with the environment around. Latency is also a factor when the obstacle is mobile, though it's not a gamebreaker. There would have to be some leeway - not that I expect a tightly tuned jumping labyrinth out of the blue - unless the technology is slightly improved.

    I also don't think that there should be too much focus on jumping all of a sudden. It would be exciting in small doses but I wouldn't like the whole game to change all at once, and that comes from a person who spent dozens of sleepless nights on TFC jump maps.

    However, why not?

  17. #17
    Epic! Issalice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Area 52 US
    Posts
    1,619
    They don't bother me if it is in a solo situation, but as someone pointed out above group jumping puzzles suck. Blackfathom Deeps = my worst nightmare every time I level a new alt. I don't know why but I either get the jump immediately, or it takes AGES. Then the group runs ahead, and I always get killed by something in the water

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire Hildefuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlantic Europe
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No. I hate jumping puzzles. In an offline game w/o latency sure. But not in an online environment where one lag = you have to do all that crap again.
    Besides: Many GW2 jumping puzzles felt really buggy at times and you constantly fought with the camera. <_<
    I completely agree with you.

  19. #19
    Field Marshal Lulleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    95
    I think I'd enjoy both Solo (Obstacle Courses from Private Servers) and Vs. other players (GW2). If this were going to WoW I guess it'd be a similar thing like brawling is at the moment. Also, that post showing the 5.2 quest. Personally I don't think we should see it as a "Jumping Puzzle", rather compare it to the Golden Lotus RP quests that reach down into the Guo-Lai Halls. Probably not more into it than what we see in the picture (Talking about length, not difficulty).

    Edit: Just me thinking of that Donkey Kong 64 boss when I look at that pic?

  20. #20
    Dreadlord Knightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    In case no one knows wtf I'm talking about http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/jum...s-come-to-wow/
    So, the placeholder title of a datamined daily quest = jumping puzzles are coming WoW?

    That's a terrible way to report news. Aside from everything being unfinished and whatnot, I don't really consider 1 or 2 daily quests to be some full blown feature being added to the game, as the article tries to make it seem.


    OT: I don't really think I care. I've played the game enough to have some jumping skills, and as long as it's solo it shouldn't hold me back. Similar to all of the trap tiles in many Mogu structures, it's nice to see places that engage the player as he/she travels the area.
    Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.

    Thank you Shyama for the awesome signature!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •