Need a HD videocard

Hey, just got a hd tv and have my brothers computer set up on it.
    Never used the hd input on this computer before, but noticed when I plugged the hdmi cord in, it was really loose. Well after like a week the connection stopped working, could put it at a wierd angle and it would kind of come in, but it just doesnt work at all now. I don't have a videocard though, computer had like a built in one in the cpu I guess. So what I'm looking to get is a videocard which will be about as good as what the built into this computer, so guessing that shouldn't cost too much. Brother doesn't really play much games, but do use it for youtube/hulu, so would like to get it working on the hd tv again. But I have no ideal what kind of video card I should get that will be around same quality, and if its compatible with his computer.

Computer parts are
    CPU AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
    Motherboard [CrossFireX] MSI A75MA-G55 Chipset AMD Dual Graphics Support DDR3 Socket FM1 mATX w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    Tv is a Sony Bravia 36"

Live in the US, saw HD cards on newegg starting at like $50, so looking to spend around $50 to $100, unless you guys think I really should go for something a bit nicer.

Radeon HD 6550 Will be basically the same as what was in the PC I believe. Can probably go for an even weaker card if all you want it for is HD playback

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150600

Nothing fancy but will do the job.

I am not a HTPC expert (yet) as I could use a lot more research in this area, however, I recall the Geforce 240 and 430 being quite common. the Geforce 620 and 630 may be more up-to-date tho, and I just did a quick skim and saw the Radeon 6670 being recommended quite a few times.

You have the appropriate PCI slots to fit any GPU but you may also need to mention your power supply watt limit as that could be very important. It looks like most HTPC GPUs require around 300-400watts.

If you want a possible overkill GPU at the higher end of your budget, the Radeon 7750 would be a good option. Although the 7750 is more of a mid-end gaming GPU, i recommend it because it has the lowest watt TDP of any mid-end card as well as being one of the cheapest. Some (or all?) don't require a PCI-E power connector from the power supply either.
    Last edited by Asurakai; 2013-01-10 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    And passively cooled as well, so no risk of awful fan noise like most smaller cards in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Looks like Ill go with this then, and with that one I'm sure a 500 watt ps should be perfectly fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    500w is easily overkill. That system won't break 150w max power usage, and will more likely sit around 50-75w