Deleted

New PC - Low FPS?

Hey everyone.

I've bought a new PC but find my FPS to be pretty low in orgrimmar at the valley of strength auction house. I play on stormscale EU so It's very much people, a high pop server.

Some of the specs:

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB
    I7 3770 3.4 ghz
    16GB ram 1600mhz

I'm playing everything on ultra but only get around 30 FPS when I'm standing in the middle of the crowd outside of AH. Is this normal?

Thanks

Deleted
    should be normal yes.

run benchmarks to be sure tho. if everything is fine there, then there is nothing to worry about.

Wow is becoming harder to max out u can't really with a 500 dollar pc like most ppl seem to think....but, that does seem normal considering the location and server...

Quote Originally Posted by Sowz View Post
    in orgrimmar at the valley of strength auction house. I play on stormscale EU so It's very much people, a high pop server.
    You answered your own question. I don't know of any medium-range rigs that can max fps in high population locations.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fathme View Post
    Wow is becoming harder to max out u can't really with a 500 dollar pc like most ppl seem to think....but, that does seem normal considering the location and server...
    If you're implying that he's playing on a $500 computer, the video card alone in his specs is about $400.

Deleted
    your cpu isn't even overclocked. (wow scales best with cpu, although yes gpus are helpful)

Should be higher, ensure you have your DVI cable plugged into your graphics card instead of motherboard. My friend made this mistake and I laughed pretty hard at him.

Dumbest Thread 2012

Deleted
    Thanks for info. I also wonder, when I stand in a random MoP zone and do nothing I have about 60 fps, but when I start to attack an NPC it goes up to 100? Isn't that really weird? Higher FPS when I attack?

Are you finicky about your camera angles? When you stare into a corner(or point your camera to face more down-ward, which is likely in this attacking scenario) there is less to render, so it gives higher fps. However if you are just standing in a random MoP zone with your camera pointing off into the distance, it has a lot more to render.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Burritaco View Post
    Should be higher, ensure you have your DVI cable plugged into your graphics card instead of motherboard. My friend made this mistake and I laughed pretty hard at him.
    Dunno, maybe?

Here's a picture of the back of my PC. Those two I have marked with a red circle is two ports which works I think? I just randomly choosed one of them, is there a difference? Tell me how it looks.

http://i.imgur.com/ebDeB.jpg

Thanks ;D

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beyturga View Post
    Are you finicky about your camera angles? When you stare into a corner(or point your camera to face more down-ward, which is likely in this attacking scenario) there is less to render, so it gives higher fps. However if you are just standing in a random MoP zone with your camera pointing off into the distance, it has a lot more to render.
    This was the case, god I'm so stupid, sorry.

You have it plugged in correctly. The situation Burritaco was describing is if you were to plug in to the socket near your USB cables. And honestly your fps sounds about right for your specs given the situation. If you are maxing out your fps nearly everywhere BUT in densely populated zones, then all is well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyturga View Post
    You have it plugged in correctly. The situation Burritaco was describing is if you were to plug in to the socket near your USB cables. And honestly your fps sounds about right for your specs given the situation. If you are maxing out your fps nearly everywhere BUT in densely populated zones, then all is well.
    Yeah, I think you're right. I'm happy with my PC, I was just curious at first. Thanks for all the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the exact same video card. WoW is insanely demanding. Overclocking the cpu and gpu will probably help a lot. Shadows and liquid are the biggest killers for most people, including myself. As well as windowed (fullscreen) mode and 32 bit mode. Try turning shadows and liquid on the second highest settings and run in fullscreen mode. Also, a huge fps boost for me was turning on 64 bit mode. If you already haven't, go to your WoW launcher, then options, game preferences, then uncheck Launch 32-bit client. I also run 4x multisampling because I don't really see a difference @ 1080p between 4 and 8.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    You might want to disable SSAO, it's one of the newest and most demanding options in MoP.
    Ambient Occlusion is barely noticeable imo.
    Also anything above 4x multisampling is almost useless.

Deleted
    I see, thanks it's always nice to get some further feedback.

Also another question, in the Nvidia 3D driver settings I can change the power management from "adaptive" to "Prefer max performance" should I do this? I read it might help but could cause extra heat and unneccesary things while for example only web browsing. Instead I should just add WoW to the custom adaptive mode and select that program to prefer maximum performance. I did this, and now I want to remove it from that list, but the delete button is grayed out. Does it matter if It's still there in that list? ;D

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's pretty much normal. High pop locations will drop your FPS even with a very high end system.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    your cpu isn't even overclocked. (wow scales best with cpu, although yes gpus are helpful)
    It doesn't need to be. Even if it was he still wouldn't get 60 FPS while standing in the AH in a major city on a high pop realm.

10+ Year Old Account
    30fps isn't bad. In your situation it's normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowz View Post
    Hey everyone.

I've bought a new PC but find my FPS to be pretty low in orgrimmar at the valley of strength auction house. I play on stormscale EU so It's very much people, a high pop server.

Some of the specs:

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB
    I7 3770 3.4 ghz
    16GB ram 1600mhz

I'm playing everything on ultra but only get around 30 FPS when I'm standing in the middle of the crowd outside of AH. Is this normal?

Thanks
    This seems fine. What are you getting in 25's? Also, turn shadows down. This is an fps killer.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Yeah that's pretty much normal. High pop locations will drop your FPS even with a very high end system.

It doesn't need to be. Even if it was he still wouldn't get 60 FPS while standing in the AH in a major city on a high pop realm.
    True, but he was asking about how to improve it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    True, but he was asking about how to improve it.
    Lowering your graphics, obviously...

Deleted
    Once again I'm thankful that everyone's willing to help. One last question; Should I enable "prefer maximum performance" instead of "adaptive" in the Nvidia 3D driver settings or does this cause my card to work unneccesarry much while only web browsing for example, and therefore cause much heat to my PC?