View Poll Results: What should we do about it, if anything?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservative: Double down and don't give in to the liberal media.

    15 27.27%
  • Conservative: Kick out the pro-lifers, but draw the line there and make our stand.

    5 9.09%
  • Conservative: Kick out all of the factions, without exception.

    1 1.82%
  • Conservative: Other (please state in reply)

    2 3.64%
  • Liberal: If I were you, I'd double down and not give in to the liberal media.

    5 9.09%
  • Liberal: If I were you I'd kick out the pro-lifers and draw the line there.

    8 14.55%
  • Liberal: If I were you I'd kick out all of the factions without exception.

    6 10.91%
  • Liberal: If I were you, I'd do something else entirely (please state in reply).

    13 23.64%
Page 1 of 22
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,219

    Is the left engaging in salami tactics? And what should we do about it?

    I was listening to Rush Limbaugh this morning and he brought up a rather interesting conversation. Rush mentioned that after the liberals and RINOs (Republican In Name Only) have finished attacking pro-lifers, they will focus their attention on gun owners. He claimed that the leftist RINOs will give up on defending gun rights and the Constitution, in favor of left-wing gun control. We've already seen some far-left RINOs do this, such as Mitt Romney and Chris Christie.

    This brings up another question, however, a question of whether or not this is a left-wing strategy to divide-and-conquer the Republican Party. I'm sure you've all heard the expression that "first they came for X, and I didn't do anything because I'm not X, then they came for me, and nobody was left to stand up for me," well it's the same sort of thing. The liberals and RINOs are systematically attacking various factions of the Republican Party, first they attacked the libertarians when they ousted the Barry Goldwater group, then they attacked the Tea Party group and now they're attacking the pro-lifers. Will they attack gun owners and gun rights supporters next?

    Why would are these RINOs doing this, you ask? The answer is simple, the liberal media has been constantly been accusing conservatives and libertarians of "waging a war on women," so the Republican establishment thinks the only way to "appeal to left-wing voters" is to become pro-choice. Now I don't care about the issue of abortion one way or another and I never have, however it's important to recognize what's going on around us. However, I believe that even if every single Republican suddenly became pro-choice, that the liberal media would continue their propaganda campaign to paint anyone who is even remotely right-wing as "waging a war on women," simply because it helps promote the Democratic Party and liberal agenda.

    The liberal media also hates gun owners and guns in general. Under the guise of "appealing to left-wing voters" the Republican establishment will no doubt start attacking gun owners and gun rights. We've already seen the Republican establishment push anti-gun candidates on us, such as Mitt Romney, so you can definitely see them moving towards this even more in the future.

    I used to be a lot more open to the idea that if we eliminated the social conservative wing of the party, it would help us better appeal to centre-left and undecided voters. However it is possible that this is exactly what the left wants us to do. This is known as "salami tactics" and it is a tactic the left has done before, namely in Europe. As I'm sure you are aware, in the wake of World War II, Europe was divided between the Eastern Bloc (allied with the Soviet Union) and Western Europe (allied with the United States). Many of the Eastern European countries had previously been democratic, so in order to maintain popular support, the communists kept the facade of democracy up. They did this by allowing minor political parties to exist and contest elections, however in reality, these parties were nothing more than puppets to the communists.

    Early on the communists experienced problems with this, however, as the puppet parties had considerable public support. In fact, some of these puppet parties were so popular that even with massive electoral fraud, they still managed to form a government, notably in Hungary. The communists realized that they had to stop this from ever happening again, but they also realized that deposing the elected puppet parties would be massively unpopular with the population. So the liberals decided to run massive media attack campaigns (much like the liberal media does today against the Republicans), claiming that members of the Independent Smallholders, Agrarian Workers and Civic Party (the party in power in Hungary) were fascists, racist, sexist and homophobic bigots. This caused the public to view the ISAWCP in a negative light and for the ISAWCP to undergo a process of eliminating various internal factions of their party in order to "look better." Despite their efforts to "look better," the ISAWCP lost the next election and every election to come. The liberals then used the opportunity to ensure that all of the puppet parties would forever be subordinate to the Hungarian Communist Party.

    Is this what is happening in America? If we allow the Republican establishment to continue to attack libertarians, the Tea Party and pro-lifers, will we only be hurting ourselves? Will this set the stage for the RINOs to attack other internal factions within the Republican Party? Even if the Republican Party adopted all of the same positions as the Democrats and European socialists, the liberal media would still attack us at every turn.

    We have a few different options, do you continue with the establishment's plan to sacrifice our principles and our freedom in the hope that it will help us appeal to centre-left and low-information voters? Do we double down and fix the growing divide within the Republican Party? Or perhaps we come out of left-field with completely different plan entirely? What do you believe we should do in this dire situation?

  2. #2
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,789
    You can start by ending the utter misconception that Rush Limbaugh is a source of any kind of rational thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    I was listening to Rush Limbaugh this morning and he brought up a rather interesting conversation.
    well there is your problem right there. listening to rush limbaugh is like watching ze nazi's open the arc of the covenant. both end with your flesh melting from your head.

    on topic.. liberals don't hate gun's. liberals hate mentally unstable people who go out and buy an arsenal big enough to equip a navy seal squad in a few weeks time, and then use that arsenal to indiscriminately murder children.
    Last edited by slimj091; 2013-01-11 at 12:04 AM.

  4. #4
    should start a drinking game: any time in one of swazi's posts he uses the words "liberal" or "left wing" take a drink. if either of those is followed immediately by the word "media" take 2 drinks. but call an ambulance before attempting to play this game.

    i havent seen media painting libertarians as "anti-women". of course libertarians havent had several of their electees make idiotic statements regarding rape either. the fact is the libertarians chose to not be in the GOP because the GOP no longer represents them, however much you might think that they do. GOP is no longer fiscally conservative, and they havent been for a long time. they are also regressive on rights (with the glaring exception of the 2nd amendment), which is also not in the libertarian philosophy. why in the world would you think the libertarians want to be back in the GOP?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  5. #5
    tired and just want a salami sandwich now
    Last edited by zeropeorth; 2013-01-11 at 12:09 AM.

  6. #6
    That's a hell of a lot of text to basically just say "Don't compromise on anything ever! Viva la conservative movement!!!".

    What do you expect to achieve other than a bit of fist pumping among people who already agree with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  7. #7
    The left has been trying to get more gun control for years. The difference is that the media never paid more than passing attention until 20 first graders were killed.

    If it doesn't happen THIS time, what larger massacre of kids will it take to finally do something?

  8. #8
    Epic! fengosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada, Eh
    Posts
    1,519
    Demographics are changing and it showed last election. It's not like it was a secret that Obama wanted to raise taxes or anything, it was a huge part of his platform and people voted for it. It's interesting what you label as salami tactics when it's just peoples actual beliefs.

  9. #9
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,278
    Limbaugh is calling the pro-choice Republicans "RINOs"? Sorry Rush, I think you've got that backwards. We libertarians were the original owners of this party. We are the true Republicans. You and your ultra-religious moral tyrants can piss off. I'll stand up for my gun rights any day, but being pro-choice doesn't make you a leftist. It makes you a Republican. If anyone is a RINO, it's Limbaugh and his cronies.

  10. #10
    What an awful mess. So much "waging war" and "attacking" by slinging words at each other. All this to try and sway votes?

    I thought this was politics, not an elementary school popularity contest.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    The left has been trying to get more gun control for years. The difference is that the media never paid more than passing attention until 20 first graders were killed.

    If it doesn't happen THIS time, what larger massacre of kids will it take to finally do something?
    So you're basically saying that the left has to take children hostage to get what they want?

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Limbaugh is calling the pro-choice Republicans "RINOs"? Sorry Rush, I think you've got that backwards. We libertarians were the original owners of this party. We are the true Republicans. You and your ultra-religious moral tyrants can piss off. I'll stand up for my gun rights any day, but being pro-choice doesn't make you a leftist. It makes you a Republican. If anyone is a RINO, it's Limbaugh and his cronies.
    You know, sometimes I feel rather ashamed that my "side" has(had?) people like Keith Olbermann running an entertainment show parading itself as politics, but I guess I should be thankful I've never had to endure most of my peers loving someone like Limbaugh.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    What an awful mess. So much "waging war" and "attacking" by slinging words at each other. All this to try and sway votes?

    I thought this was politics, not an elementary school popularity contest.
    There is little difference between the two. Welcome to politics.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,621
    I chose the last option on your list (Liberal, other) because I don't think just getting rid of pro-life crowd is enough. Also, the option to kick out all factions seems nonsensical to me, if there are no factions left how do you have a party?

    In my opinion, the republican party needs to drop the following factions/stances:
    1) Pro-life /anti-choice
    2) Anti gay
    3) Anti science (evolution, climate, big bang, earth age)

    Basically, drop the social conservative stuff and focus your party on issues which concern economics, welfare, foreign policy, regulations, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Mobius strip still has 2 sides. you can pinch 2 fingers on both sides of the ribbon at the same spot
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    So you're basically saying that the left has to take children hostage to get what they want?
    Pretty much. The left has been praying for something like this to happen for decades, so they could politicize it and push their agenda.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Majad; 2013-01-11 at 01:46 PM.

  16. #16
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Pretty much. The left has been praying for something like this to happen for decades, so they could politicize it and push their agenda.
    Yeah, because it hasn't happened in decades, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  17. #17
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,366
    Rush Limbaugh... why are you listening to that man? Honestly, do you really think he is at all sensible?
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I chose the last option on your list (Liberal, other) because I don't think just getting rid of pro-life crowd is enough. Also, the option to kick out all factions seems nonsensical to me, if there are no factions left how do you have a party?

    In my opinion, the republican party needs to drop the following factions/stances:
    1) Pro-life /anti-choice
    2) Anti gay
    3) Anti science (evolution, climate, big bang, earth age)

    Basically, drop the social conservative stuff and focus your party on issues which concern economics, welfare, foreign policy, regulations, etc.
    I didn't include anything about homosexuality, because I think we should absolutely support gay rights. Just like gun rights, gay rights should be non-negotiable.

    I don't believe being religious makes you anti-science. Note: I believe in evolution and global warming.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Limbaugh is calling the pro-choice Republicans "RINOs"? Sorry Rush, I think you've got that backwards. We libertarians were the original owners of this party. We are the true Republicans. You and your ultra-religious moral tyrants can piss off. I'll stand up for my gun rights any day, but being pro-choice doesn't make you a leftist. It makes you a Republican. If anyone is a RINO, it's Limbaugh and his cronies.
    Libertarians are more like Republican-Lite. They agree with the Republicans that the government should be small but disagree that the government should be large enough to control people socially and give businesses money. The Republican party has been the big business party since the 19th century and always socially conservative. A lot of Republicans became libertarians because they thought they were being overburdened with some taxes and the few federal rules they have to follow. Some others are kids that want legal pot.

    Rush Limbaugh is a hypocritical idiot though and anyone that believes anything he says is probably also not very smart.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 12:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    This brings up another question, however, a question of whether or not this is a left-wing strategy to divide-and-conquer the Republican Party.
    It seems to me that Rush is trying to divide his party by grouping some of them and calling them names.

  20. #20
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    I didn't include anything about homosexuality, because I think we should absolutely support gay rights. Just like gun rights, gay rights should be non-negotiable.

    I don't believe being religious makes you anti-science. Note: I believe in evolution and global warming.
    And that's why the republican party should just drop the large numbers of people who are anti gay and anti science. My answer wasn't talking about you, it was more a list of things I think the republican party should lose in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Mobius strip still has 2 sides. you can pinch 2 fingers on both sides of the ribbon at the same spot
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •