Poll: What should we do about it, if anything?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer Peanut butter and Jelly tactics myself. But seriously people should stop defining themselves via political parties.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Swasi spring best troll EU

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-11 at 02:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    If you are worried that you might have sex every day, then you might have other problems.
    We can add birth control to the list of things you are utterly clueless about.
    You dont take a pill each day cos you might or might not have sex it is how the medicine works, you take it daily. It is not a freaking Asperin.
    Birth control pills HAS to be taken daily if we exclude the 'day after pills' which also pump the body so full of hormones that it is not adviced to use more than once a month.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Okay, before I give my take I should probably disclose my own politics up front so if people engage in ad hominem at least they do it right.

I tend to vote for democrats these days because current republican candidates are often so far right they scare the hell out of me.

Going back to the original question of whether the left is engaging in salami tactics...I think it's a ridiculous conspiracy theory to believe the left somehow CREATED the current factional strife within the Republican party, by way of infiltrators and some grand media conspiracy or something. I think the right did that to itself, but the left is taking full advantage, which is just smart political strategy. Can you call it salami tactics if the other side didn't CREATE the divide? I dunno, but that's what I think is happening.

As for what I think the Republican party should do about it, I think the solution is for the right to work with the left to get some serious campaign finance reform done, maybe going so far as a constitutional amendment for public funding of elections. I think that would ultimately help everybody, left or right, and bring some sanity back to our process of government. I believe this because I believe the current state of campaign fund raising and lobbying is ultimately responsible for not only the fractures on the right, but the majority of our "broken government" problems.

I think ultimately the Republican Party is split between three groups. I know that's an extreme simplification, but I'm talking broad strokes here. Those three groups are the establishment, the corporatists, and the fanatics (and I don't call them fanatics to slam the right, god knows the democratic party has its share of fanatic too). The establishment is basically the mainstream power structure and the majority of center-right republican voting Americans, what wants to be, and in most times would be, the moderate right. What keeps them from being that is that they're being dragged to the far right by the other two groups.

The fanatics are obvious, they're a mix of often but not always overlapping forms of extremism, the minarchists who believe there should be NO federal role in commerce or daily life and we should go back to a circa 1800 model of federal powers, the conspiracy theorists who think the government is about to steal their guns and put them in FEMA internment camps, or that Barack Obama is a foreign born manchurian candidate controlled by the secret UN one-world government or the global islamic caliphate, and of course the religious right who think Jesus talks to Michele Bachmann and we need a constitutional anti-gay marriage amendment so God doesn't smite the country. These guys are scary, but they're not that dangerous on their own, because they're a vocal minority, and if left to their own devices, they wouldn't have the power or the voting bloc to force the establishment to listen to them.

The real danger, and the cause of the factional problems, I believe, comes from the corporatists, big companies who have latched onto and subverted conservative ideals for their own financial gain, largely by empowering and controlling the fanatics, to use them as a bludgeon by which to control the establishment, in addition to, of course, lobbying it by conventional means. They do this by essentially astroturfing groups like the tea party into prominence. The real trick is to make everything they want sound like it's not only supported by conservative principles, but that ALL conservative principles are tied together, and thus a violation of one is a violation of everything. For example, they don't want environmental regulations to prevent global warming, so they tell us not only that such regulations are an excess of federal power and a violation of the free market, but also that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by evil godless leftist scientists, that it's a capitulation to the UN that goes against our sovereignty, even that believing in global warming is against God because only God, and not man, can end the world. And thus they get the fiscal conservatives, the small government conservatives, the national security conservatives, the conspiracy theorists, and the religious right, all under one banner, fighting with wild abandon to protect the corporate bottom line, even when it's to their own detriment. And they do this successfully on all kinds of issues, by empowering vocal minorities and conflating different conservative ideals together into a mishmash of circular, and often self-contradictory logic, to enforce lockstep ideological purity within the party, and pull it further and further to the right.
    Last edited by Aurondarklord; 2022-10-27 at 10:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    you're just calling Hitler a loon because he says what he believes. liberals love to attack people for basic freedom of speech
    Attacking what someone says is not attacking their freedom of speech. Us "liberals," contrary to conservative belief, value free speech. You can say what you want. But don't act with surprise when someone who disagrees with you argues against you.

Rush can continue to bloviate on the radio all he wants. We're not attacking that he has that right, we're attacking the idiotic things he says. He can keep saying them, and we can keep calling him out on his bullshit.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    He's not that fat. He'd be a small moon, at most
    That's no moon . . .
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, a lot of people I see calling Rush an idiot aren't calling for him to be taken off the air.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a huge difference between calling someone an idiot for saying idiotic things, and calling for their censorship. On the contrary, I say we do everything we can to make sure more people listen to Rush, that way he can scare even more sensible "on the fence" people away from the lunacy on the right.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Limbaugh is calling the pro-choice Republicans "RINOs"? Sorry Rush, I think you've got that backwards. We libertarians were the original owners of this party. We are the true Republicans. You and your ultra-religious moral tyrants can piss off. I'll stand up for my gun rights any day, but being pro-choice doesn't make you a leftist. It makes you a Republican. If anyone is a RINO, it's Limbaugh and his cronies.
    h5 Kalyyn.

As an outsider I think the Republicans could probably have won the election had it not been for lunatics like Rush and his cronies. They ruin their own party and the chance to bring home the gold medal.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    As an outsider I think the Republicans could probably have won the election had it not been for lunatics like Rush and his cronies. They ruin their own party and the chance to bring home the gold medal.
    Same deal here. It's an inherent problem of the two party system unfortunately; the people who are against abortion, against gun control of any sort, are not going to be heard if the republicans kick them out like they should. They will likely stop voting as well, and political apathy is enough of a problem.

Sorry man, you lost me on "I was listening to Rush Limbaugh".
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Yeah, a lot of people I see calling Rush an idiot aren't calling for him to be taken off the air.
    If you're anywhere at all to the left of Rush--which face it isn't too hard--why would you want him off the air? Quite apart from the fact that he makes lots of bucks for radio stations which is why they continue to run him, he's useful since Republicans generally won't disavow him which makes them look as if they're agreeing with him.

If anyone needs to make Rush irrelevant, it's Republicans. He hurts them more than he helps.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

So I got to about the 4th page (can't believe it took me that long to see it) and I'm calling troll on this guy or if he's truly serious then he's so blinded it's sad. . The "gun control increases violence" post was the kicker. A quick google search can dispel that nonsense and 90% of the other crap he's spewing.
    No wonder I burned my republican member card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    So I got to about the 4th page (can't believe it took me that long to see it) and I'm calling troll on this guy or if he's truly serious then he's so blinded it's sad. . The "gun control increases violence" post was the kicker. A quick google search can dispel that nonsense and 90% of the other crap he's spewing.
    No wonder I burned my republican member card.

Watch out they will infract you for calling him that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helwet View Post
    Watch out they will infract you for calling him that
    Should probably read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If anyone needs to make Rush irrelevant, it's Republicans. He hurts them more than he helps.
    Exactly this. Which is why I really, really hope they keep Rush around for a long time to come. The "move farther right" strategy is an astoundingly effective way of losing national elections.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no such thing as the liberal media. American media has a corporate bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If you're anywhere at all to the left of Rush--which face it isn't too hard--why would you want him off the air? Quite apart from the fact that he makes lots of bucks for radio stations which is why they continue to run him, he's useful since Republicans generally won't disavow him which makes them look as if they're agreeing with him.

Radio station money has dropped pretty significantly since the Sandra Fluke incident (and still falling). If this keeps up he may not be making them money for much longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There's no such thing as the liberal media. American media has a corporate bias.
    fact /10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This. Leftists don't own anything, so its pretty laughable to pretend they control the most influential institutions in society.

People make up conspiracy theories, so it can match their perceived reality. When confronted with opposing evidence, just apply more conspiracy to it.

OT: I believe they are engaging in bratwurst tactics, last I heard.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance