Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Was King Rastakhan's sin Pride?

The recent datamined text about the exile of Zul and King Rastakhan's actions have led me to believe that he acted out of pride, and that was his doom (allegedly)

Since patch 4.1, it was really strange that the Zandalari just changed gears so quickly. Knowing that the zandalari we have seen attacking alliance and horde, and alliying with the mogu, are under the orders of Zul, a seditionist prophet, makes sense.

Still, Rastakhan was prideful and didn't heed Zul's words of the worlds end. Maybe he didn't believe in his visions, maybe he thought the magics that kept Zandalar safe during the sundering would work for this new cataclysm; but alas, it was not.

As such, now only the most zealous and superstitious zandalari live.

Thoughts?

I don't think it was pride. he probably thought zul was crazy. think about it for a second: one day, some ramdom guy in a dress comes to you and starts telling you the apocalypse is coming. do you trust him? as a king, will you abandon everything in your homeland and waste loads of resources building ships and stuff like that because one dude is telling you an armored dragon will split the world?

it's the very same thing that happened when medivh told terenas of the scourge.

it was not pride that caused rastakhan's downfall. it was merely skepticism.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much what facts said

why the fuck would he believe a troll who ripped off his robes in front of him

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    The recent datamined text about the exile of Zul and King Rastakhan's actions have led me to believe that he acted out of pride, and that was his doom (allegedly)

Since patch 4.1, it was really strange that the Zandalari just changed gears so quickly. Knowing that the zandalari we have seen attacking alliance and horde, and alliying with the mogu, are under the orders of Zul, a seditionist prophet, makes sense.

Still, Rastakhan was prideful and didn't heed Zul's words of the worlds end. Maybe he didn't believe in his visions, maybe he thought the magics that kept Zandalar safe during the sundering would work for this new cataclysm; but alas, it was not.

As such, now only the most zealous and superstitious zandalari live.

Thoughts?
    Probably just an excuse, so that they don't have to add Zandalar ingame, because so many people kept requesting it?

Didn't they say that Kul Tiras sunk into the ocean as well? Who knows what else has been sunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I don't think it was pride. he probably thought zul was crazy. think about it for a second: one day, some ramdom guy in a dress comes to you and starts telling you the apocalypse is coming. do you trust him? as a king, will you abandon everything in your homeland and waste loads of resources building ships and stuff like that because one dude is telling you an armored dragon will split the world?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

True, It could be just plain olde skepticism; but it is stated that Zul was his "most trusted prophet". This wasn't just a hobo that started talking cray cray, he had cred; that's why so many zandalari followed Zul.

So yeah, it is possible that despise Zul's position the king didn't believe in his visions, but it is also possible that Rastakhan did considered Zul's visions, yet he thought he could keep Zandalar safe from the Cataclysm.

troll logic: "maybe if I show him my ripped abs, he'll believe on me" lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Probably just an excuse, so that they don't have to add Zandalar ingame, because so many people kept requesting it?

Didn't they say that Kul Tiras sunk into the ocean as well? Who knows what else has been sunk.
    But despise this being the reason, they are giving an explanation; and I appreciate that.

I remember that they just said that the cataclysm moved the isle, not sunked it. No one know where kul'tiras is!

True, It could be just plain olde skepticism; but it is stated that Zul was his "most trusted prophet". This wasn't just a hobo that started talking cray cray, he had cred; that's why so many zandalari followed Zul.
    I probably chose my words badly when I called him a "random guy", but here's the thing:

"King Rastakhan tired of Zul and his troubling nightmares."

that is the key word, nightmares. from rastakhan's PoV, zul was just going crazy. he though his visions were nothing more then nightmares, fabrications from his troubled mind.

if we go back to cataclysm, sauranok the mystic went mad and joined the twilight cult because of his visions. it's like spider-man says, "with great power comes great responsibility". if your duty is to see the future and guide your people, chances are you've seen things you wish you didn't, and you have a stressed mind, with a lot of pressure on you. if one day you come to your boss's room talking about the end of the world, he'll think you finally snapped.

"in one month our enemies will attack, so prepare our defenses" - that's believable.
    "IN A FEW MONTHS THE WORLD IS GONNA END!! GIEF ME A BOAT!! *rips robes and throws staff*" - that sounds like ramblings from a madman.

10+ Year Old Account
    I probably chose my words badly when I called him a "random guy", but here's the thing:

"King Rastakhan tired of Zul and his troubling nightmares."

that is the key word, nightmares. from rastakhan's PoV, zul was just going crazy. he though his visions were nothing more then nightmares, fabrications from his troubled mind.

if we go back to cataclysm, sauranok the mystic went mad and joined the twilight cult because of his visions. it's like spider-man says, "with great power comes great responsibility". if your duty is to see the future and guide your people, chances are you've seen things you wish you didn't, and you have a stressed mind, with a lot of pressure on you. if one day you come to your boss's room talking about the end of the world, he'll think you finally snapped.

"in one month our enemies will attack, so prepare our defenses" - that's believable.
    "IN A FEW MONTHS THE WORLD IS GONNA END!! GIEF ME A BOAT!! *rips robes and throws staff*" - that sounds like ramblings from a madman.
    Again, it's possible. But if your "most trusted prophet" has nightmares that he regards them visions, it is something that you must at least consider.

But that's the point; it isn't clear what Rhastakhan thought of it. One phrase is "King Rastakhan tired of Zul and his troubling nightmares.", yet the next one is "To be rid of the prophet, he granted Zul the use of his largest ships, so that he and his followers could seek a new land if his visions came to pass." It seems like he considered the possibility at least, and that's my stance; he considered it, yet did nothing, most likely because he though Zandalar indestructible.

Again, it's possible. But if your "most trusted prophet" has nightmares that he regards them visions, it is something that you must at least consider.

But that's the point; it isn't clear what Rhastakhan thought of it. One phrase is "King Rastakhan tired of Zul and his troubling nightmares.", yet the next one is "To be rid of the prophet, he granted Zul the use of his largest ships, so that he and his followers could seek a new land if his visions came to pass." It seems like he considered the possibility at least, and that's my stance; he considered it, yet did nothing, most likely because he though Zandalar indestructible.
    from what I see, this "if" is more like "you think the world is ending? than take this boat and get out by yourself, but don't involve the rest of us on your crazy doomsday delusions."

10+ Year Old Account
    im pretty sure the whole gettin nekkid in front of rasta did not help zuls case

im pretty sure the whole gettin nekkid in front of rasta did not help zuls case
    "my king, look at this! *rips robes off*
    I have a pimple on my right cheek! that's clearly a sign of the END OF ALL THINGS!"

If it was pride then we know what the next Sha will be.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 01:46 AM ----------

troll logic: "maybe if I show him my ripped abs, he'll believe on me" lol
    Believe...ON me...paints a pretty picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

You might be right, But In a world where magic is a common thing and powerful beings try to take over / destroy it all the time it would make sense to at least consider that people might actually be seeing the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    You might be right, But In a world where magic is a common thing and powerful beings try to take over / destroy it all the time it would make sense to at least consider that people might actually be seeing the future.
    That's why i'm going with "This shit ain't gonna sink!" instead of "Who dis bitch". Not believing at all seems pretty selective after they have battle blood gods and loas and have lived milennia of weird shit. I mean, Zandalar survived the freaking sundering, when the heart of magic of the world collapsed. That would make any civilization cocky.

you could say..... he thought Zul was "trolling' :P
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Rastakhan was probably all "relax mon"

Well, he should've at least checked. What kind of King sits on a golden throne doing nothing all day? At least talk to a scout to check it out or something like really >.>
    Last edited by Philosopino; 2013-01-11 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

The Zandalari

It is said the God King Rastakhan, ruler of the Zandalari, lords over his mighty kingdom from a throne carved of solid gold.

Years ago, as he sat on this opulent seat of power, he was visited by his most trusted prophet: Zul.

Zul warned King Rastakhan of a terrible Cataclysm. For Zul had seen a vision of a great armored dragon clenching the world in his ferocious jaws.

Months later Zul returned, bearing more grim news from his visions. He saw a legion of serpents pouring forth from a gaping fissure that tore open the floor of the ocean. Still, King Rastakhan did nothing.

Finally, mere months before the Cataclysm, Zul returned. Tearing his clothes and throwing his staff to the ground, Zul spoke of earthquakes and tidal waves. He described the golden capital of Zandalar slowly sinking beneath the waves in the aftermath of the Cataclysm, its once-great people drowning as their mighty works slipped forever beneath the sea.

King Rastakhan tired of Zul and his troubling nightmares. To be rid of the prophet, he granted Zul the use of his largest ships, so that he and his followers could seek a new land if his visions came to pass.

And his visions DID come to pass. When Deathwing rose from the Maelstrom, dark, angry waves crashed into the Zandalari capital. The spine of the land broke in two, and soon, the city and all its riches began to slide into the hungry sea. The Zandalari people turned to their King for help, but there was only one Zandalari equipped to help them: The prophet Zul.

The prophet, and the mighty warfleet he had assembled while his King sat idle. You see, the TRUE power of Kings and Emperors stems from the power to aid their people. The moment they fail, they cede their power to the one who can.
    As provided by Alastaircrawly in his Zandalari thread. The bolded part is what I'm referencing.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account

Ripping off robes and doing weird things like wearing sackcloth were indicators of deep distress, and the attempt to convey it to an unsympathetic audience.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15