Thread: Wow Reboot idea

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would Blizzard even have the server architecture to run 8 year old WoW?

Deleted
    people who lives in nostalgia - I give you max 1 month you would like to do that, then you would realise, how much better, improved WoW is nowdays and went back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piin View Post
    It's just internet rudeness on display.
    It's not, it's just cutting to the chase.

Now this may be a shock, but this isn't a new idea!

It's been asked in a hundred different ways many thousands of times and has been answered by numerous blue posts.

You can engage in some speculation about how simple and cheap it would be and how many people would love to do it and blah blah blah (while having no actual idea....) but it's not going to happen.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What's the point of that when you could just do that yourself, now? You could level from 1 - 60 without heirlooms, turn off your XP, do the raids, turn it back on, and move on to TBC
    This is exactly what i was thinking, If anyone actually wanted to do this, they would, So it really would be a pointless thing for Blizzard to waste resources on as there is literaly nothing stopping people from doing it already, Would be fun though if you got a decent group of people to do it with

They could add a "hardcore" server, maybe do 1 per region and see how it goes. I am under no illusion that they would never do this btw.

Simply put, this server has it setup with the current game patches but has restrictions. you can level from 1 - 60 as any class but DK is restricted until you have a level 60.

At level 60 you are capped and must clear all the raids present ending with cthun. (ZG and ZA and Nax are in level 85 and 80 areas now as different dungeon/raid sizes and will be down at their revamped levels).

once cthun is down you can enter the dark portal and progress. You can use the current talent /spell / food systems etc so content will be killed faster as a result.

you can only fly at level 70 in outland,
    you must clear all level 70 raids ending with SWP in order to enter northrend, and this in this manner until you get to MOP content.

from Wrath onwards heroic mode content must be cleared before you can progress unto the next expac.

I imagine people would burn out rather fast on this, and then we will stop getting silly requests like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What's the point of that when you could just do that yourself, now? You could level from 1 - 60 without heirlooms, turn off your XP, do the raids, turn it back on, and move on to TBC.
    But with the way they revamped the whole buff/skill/talent system, added and removed stats, changed spell icons,names,effects - this would NOT be the same.
    And it's all going to be spoilt by a lvl90 guy flying around.

I'd like them to just take all the available distributives, and go through all the history of WOW once again, but on one server.
    They would only need to install patches with the same intervals as they did in WOW-Generation-1.
    This server would not support BNet2.0 Features, it probably would not have it's own armory but who cares.

This idea is attractive, however i think blizz are too lazy and fat for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd create a character on a server like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    But with the way they revamped the whole buff/skill/talent system, added and removed stats, changed spell icons,names,effects - this would NOT be the same.
    And it's all going to be spoilt by a lvl90 guy flying around.

I'd like them to just take all the available distributives, and go through all the history of WOW once again, but on one server.
    They would only need to install patches with the same intervals as they did in WOW-Generation-1.
    This server would not support BNet2.0 Features, it probably would not have it's own armory but who cares.

This idea is attractive, however i think blizz are too lazy and fat for that.
    But then this creates a huge volume of work and you would have to re-do class balance again its not a very thought out idea.

They could make it like i suggested leaving the current balance classes talents etc in the game and you just have to plug away at the content and work your way through it. But easier yet would be just doing it as others suggested. If someone flies around as a level 90 big deal. i'm leveling my monk atm and enjoying it.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNjQecyjE8

Deserved it all .. now i was awesome .

IT : Bad idea, not going to happen anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    But then this creates a huge volume of work and you would have to re-do class balance again its not a very thought out idea.

They could make it like i suggested leaving the current balance classes talents etc in the game and you just have to plug away at the content and work your way through it. But easier yet would be just doing it as others suggested. If someone flies around as a level 90 big deal. i'm leveling my monk atm and enjoying it.
    I don't see how it creates any amount of work actually. I run windows 7 atm, but i could go and repeat the whole evolution of my pc-experience from ms-dos, through win 3.1, 95,me,xp,vista - Again, i still have the cds i bought long ago.
    They could do the same with all the patches for wow tehy ever released. As simple as that.

Thing is the old code no longer exist. They would have to go back and recreate the code, and also balance two set of classes. This would take out time from Expansion of next game. within one or two month's those servers will be dead. Blizzard would lose so much money just to do this. Time and research. This is not going to happen. Doomsday predictions are more likely to happen then blizzard recreating old games like this.

Classic Wow Recreation in comment.

"Hey, I am a Shadow Priest. Can I join your raiding guild."

"Shut up and heal my pet." "lol priest being dps lol"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISl3XjG9sw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=2saAgaJ6p54
    Last edited by eillas; 2013-01-11 at 11:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Thing is the old code no longer exist. They would have to go back and recreate the code, and also balance two set of classes.[/url]
    As a programmer i tell you that changing the code without keeping it's old variant in repository is too bad a practice for any company, even for a small one.
    I'm 99.(9)% sure they can rebuild the required distributives in a couple of days. You know, people keep every possible useless piece of crap on their desktops for years, why would anyone delete something valuable?

they rewrote over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    they rewrote over it.
    You don't know it. I'm sure they did not, nobody does. Yet we'll never find out, because it's obvious they're too lazy to mess with it

I don't see how it creates any amount of work actually. I run windows 7 atm, but i could go and repeat the whole evolution of my pc-experience from ms-dos, through win 3.1, 95,me,xp,vista - Again, i still have the cds i bought long ago.
    They could do the same with all the patches for wow tehy ever released. As simple as that.
    It would create work as they would have to setup a server with the old patches for wow then facilitate a client side for wow that doesnt point to their current update servers. Its not as simple as you installing an OS on your PC. You would need your old PC hardware too to run those old os like 3.1 and 95 etc unless you use an emulator which defeats the object. Do you really have your old hardware still? My old 486 is gone, my 122mhz pc gone, my 330 mhz pc gone, my 800mhz pc gone. You get the idea.

Anyway, its a lot of work as you would have to get a client side version working that points to another update server that would periodically update the game then you might have patching issues on client and server side. You then have the hole game balance issues. Class restrictions. You would then have to ensure models and content are reverted (eg using old molten giant models then replacing them again in firelands is just one example)

you would have to ensure you have staff and development for this. It is not a good idea.

(below; they wont do this example and I wont blame them)
    A better way would be to setup a server with the current patch content but with restrictions. You can only level to 60, Deathnights can be unlocked at 55, as nefarion fight was updated with a DK call and the storyline for lights hope can show some people the pre wrath story.

Defeat all the raids ending with cthun -ZG and NAX are not here as they are now level 85 and 80 respectively.

level 70 available, defeat all the content ending with swp, flying restricted to 70.

Northrend, flying restricted to 77, defeat all the content ending with ICC heroic on either 10 or 25 (ruby sanct is optional)

Cata - flying enabled at 80 in azeroth, defeat all content ending with DS heroic on either 10 or 25

Welcome to MOP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piin View Post
    you hear that argument a lot. what exactly is being wasted? a server costs too much to operate? tweaking a few health pools is too intensive? i doubt it.
    Cost for a dedicated blade or two for the sever.
    Cost for the bandwidth.
    Cost for the hosting
    Cost for the Staff involved in setting it up
    Cost for the Support staff (GM's) For answering 1001 retarad questions like "where is da arean :?" "What no achivments" "Herp a derp, im stuck can you unstuck me please"

really wish people would take their rose tinted glasses, break them, and throw them in the bin. ANYONE who played at a raid level during vanilla should know just how poor the game was

15+ Year Old Account
    Fun idea but too much pressure on resources to implement and probably too few participants after a couple of months

My point exactly Siggma. Thank you. There are more costs than just "reinstall wow from old software we have lying around its easy". It really isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Do you really have your old hardware still?
    My old 486 is still there

May i remind you that wow-auto-update system was not implemented in vanila?
    And really, it is NOT hard to change the ip of an update server.
    It's ok to put stubs to pieces of code which refer to bnet2.0 or armory.
    This is still a week of work at longest.
    All the client-side update files are still available.

I already pointed out that
    with the way they revamped the whole buff/skill/talent system, added and removed stats, changed spell icons,names,effects - this would NOT be the same.
    (They also nerfed most of the content, as of now)
    Last edited by BreathTaker; 2013-01-11 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Won't happen.

/thread
    Stop boosting your post count and be constructive.

Personally I love the idea, the problem I see if those raids requirer a detected (or at least required) to complete all of it. In order for a guild to stay together, they would all need to level at the same time post completion of the expansion. People have different levelling speeds in content they already know. The unknown brings the excitement to want to level. No one wants to gind levels and lose the raid gear they grinded for to only grind more gear if they aready have done it once, especially to do content they aready have done. I can also see it being hard to get into higher expancion raids early in the servers time being up and then difficult to get into BC/Wrath/Cata after the server has been up for a while because it will all be alts.