Page 1 of 3
LastLast

HALP a Lady programmer!

Hey boys! I am starting to take my first JAVA and C++ programming class in college and I want to get really good at it! I am sure most of you guys are expert programmers and I want some advice! Whats the best way to learn programming? Can you recommend any good computer science blogs, forums, newspapers, etc where I can say updated and knowledgeable? Any other tips and tricks are welcomed! Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by maddi123; 2013-01-10 at 11:16 PM.

Personally I learn by doing. I used to copy examples obtained from Google results (and the blogs therein) about specific methods and then improvise to learn more about what they do.

Other than that it's really just the occasional view of Javadoc for me.

Edit: There's really no specific blog for everything. Each blog has a niche.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2013-01-10 at 11:16 PM.

Deleted
    What Language.. that would really be helpful

Practice, practice and practice. I suggest going through the example tasks and learn through doing it yourself. My first programming paper for instance had a series of weekly labs; I spent the first week finishing all of tasks, and redid them again at the right weeks. Didn't need to study at all for the exams

Programming is like a language. You can spend a year reading about the theory behind the language - but you're not going to be fluent in it without real practice actually using it. If you're just starting out, I doubt reading blogs and what not would be much help. Simply start working on the tasks, and when you run into problems, search the internet/forums for solutions (because a thousand others have had the same issue before, most likely).
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-01-10 at 11:19 PM.

When I took a Comp Sci class in high school I would dork around with stuff as we learned it and tested the limits of what it could do. At the point that we were learning how to program tic-tac-toe I went ahead and toyed with it a bit and ended up making connect 4. Turned out a week or so later that was our next project to do.

Sometimes you just have to get a little creative and play around with what you've got to really see what it can do.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Deleted
    For any web-oriented languages use : http://www.w3schools.com/

For many different programming languages : http://programming-motherfucker.com/ (some guides there are outdated)

The best way to learn about programming? Depends what you want to do but I would suggest learning the basics of OOP(Object-Oriented Programming) since most programming languages use those concepts. Java or C# would be a great hands-on first educational experience.

Wow, learn something new every day.

Semaphore.setProgrammer(true);

Every programmer should start from the basics of C/C++ imo. This new age C# thing is poo!

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 11:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Wow, learn something new every day.

Semaphore.setProgrammer(true);
    I'm multi-talented :3

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Every programmer should start from the basics of C/C++ imo. This new age C# thing is poo!
    C# is like C++ and Java had a red-headed bastard child.

Deleted
    Women can't program. Get back to the kitchen.

Infracted. - Majad
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-10 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maddi123 View Post
    Hey boys! I am starting to take my first JAVA and C++ programming class in college and I want to get really good at it! I am sure most of you guys are expert programmers and I want some advice! Whats the best way to learn programming? Can you recommend any good computer science blogs, forums, newspapers, etc where I can say updated and knowledgeable? Any other tips and tricks are welcomed! Thanks for your help!
    First off, change this attitude. You're a programmer, first and foremost. It doesn't matter what kind of package you came with. There aren't male programmers, there aren't woman programmers, and there aren't purple with green spot programmers. There are simply java, C++, php, python, javascript...... programmers. I was the only person of my gender in all of my classes - and as a result, I tended to do "group projects" alone. Then I made friends when they realized I was just as good as they were (if not better - I already had some working knowledge), and worked just as hard as they did. Just a hard fact - sadly, we did encounter other female specimens in our class who didn't want to do any of the work (or didn't know how - to give them the benefit of the doubt because I'd like to think the best of people) and that soured many of the attitudes of the people in my class toward women. I'm glad I was able to change their minds, and I encourage you to not have your gender as a label.

Second of all, like others have said, do stuff in your down time. I did all kinds of side projects - which got me employment. Take your projects, and work on them the day they are assigned, and every day. Even if it works, there are ways you can optimize it. How can you make it faster, more efficient? How few lines of code can you bring it down to, without losing any of its optimization? Further, is there a better way to code it? Programming is a passion - not just a job or a set of skills. Apply that passion - even if its something that seems simple or silly, the more projects you make (regardless of whether your friends think they are futile), the better a programmer you will become.

With Java - there are many things you can do with it. Explore them. Learn some command line. Same with C++. Books are good - try Safari Books Online. Your school may already pay for a subscription.

Deleted
    I somewhat agree, but it would be a pain to grasp the concept (and usage) of pointers for someone new to programming. Moreover, there is no garbage collection so the programmer has to handle that too.

C# would be a better start educationally imo. I myself started with Java in 2007 and it gave me a pretty good idea of OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by alysmera View Post
    python
    Python programming is best programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor306 View Post
    I agree, but it would be a pain to grasp the concept (and usage) of pointers for someone new to programming. Moreover, there is no garbage collection so the programmer has to handle that too.

C# would be a better start educationally imo. I myself started with Java in 2007 and it gave me a pretty good idea of OOP.
    Hmm, tbh and speaking totally from personal experience only, but I don't see what's so hard about pointers. More often I see people make mistakes by trying to use pointers when they don't have to.

Deleted
    C++ and java are completely different... start with java and learn that first.

Agreed. Learning reference and value differences really wasn't that hard. Maybe it's because I had experience with hardware, but so do most.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    C++ and java are completely different... start with java and learn that first.
    It really comes down to the level at which one wants to develop.

10+ Year Old Account

Hmm, tbh and speaking totally from personal experience only, but I don't see what's so hard about pointers. More often I see people make mistakes by trying to use pointers when they don't have to.
    Python makes me vomit rainbows. Unfortunately, most of my work recently is in jQuery/JavaScript/JSP.

Pointers can set a great programmer apart from a good one. I found them easy, and then... ended up tutoring all of my friends. I think they can be pretty hit or miss with people. I guess that's why so many schools start out with Java nowadays - it's easy to grasp syntax vs. the finer points. Personally, I think that it also causes people to generate less optimized code (as they aren't really taught about garbage collection, etc.)

I'd recommend getting a book.
    I don't have a book in mind, but if you get a book, than you know exactly what you covered, and what you didn't cover.
    If you learn off tutorials, you may not even know that there's an entire concept that you have missed.

But I don't have a book to recommend, I started off with C, which isn't what you're looking for.

I highly recommend learning C++ before Java, as it's relatively low level, and I believe every programmer should understand what higher-level languages are actually abstracting.

Good luck.

Any scripting language can go die in a mother fucking fire.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maddi123 View Post
    And why did you need to specify you're a girl ? It doesn't matter for what you're asking.....Damn Ihate people fishing for attention..... :S