Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Food For Thought: The Friend Zone

First off before I get on topic: I am going to start posting threads like these every so often about interesting and often mentioned topics and create a thread for discussion about them. In these I will have some food for thought videos which will include videos each with different point of views on the topic and then an application video which isn't on the topic specifically but can be applied to the topic. I will also post a couple links similar to this of articles on this. I will start the thread out with some topic questions and then also end it with similar topic questions for discussion over the topic.

Now onto the actual thread.

Let's talk about friend zones, why do you think people are "Friend Zones"? Do you think it actually exists? Or do you think that the whole idea of it is just a work of the person who is friend zoned own mind?

Also do you think it's possible to, "Leave the friend zone" or do you think once you are in there is absolutely no way out.

Food for thought videos:

(More factual un-biased point of view)

(A Girls point of view)

(A Guys point of view)

Application Video

Food for thought links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_zone
    Basic un-biased overview of "The Friend Zone"

http://lawsonry.com/2012/08/when-nice-guys-arent.html
    A feminist's point of view of, "The Friend Zone"

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...d-or-boyfriend
    An article about, "Breaking the 'Friend Zone'"

http://www.collegehumor.com/article/...he-friend-zone
    A comedic flowchart on, "The Friend Zone"

So again, what are your opinions on the friend zone and how it works and how you would 'escape it'? And also feel free to share and discuss any experiences with it, as well as opinions again because again that's the point of these types of threads I am making.

The Friend Zone: where the man gets close enough to think he has a chance, while the woman believes he has zero interest in her.

It's an illusion caused by a difference in perspectives and desires.

Deleted
    Why, yes, i do believe it exists!

Or to put it another way: a guy gets close to the girl he likes by pretending to be a good friend with no ulterior motives. The plan then backfires because the girl believes the act completely.

Also works in reverse, but less often.

edit: bah I thought this would get appended into my first reply

10+ Year Old Account
    It is possible to get out of a friendzone, but thats entirely on the part of the person doing the friending, and obviously the friend zoned person needs to meet the criteria of boyfirned/girlfriend material and not just friend material. Sometimes this because obvious, other times it just never happens.

The only way to escape it if the other person is just not interested that way is to find someone else really. Sitting there, hoping for a chance, tends to come off a little bit pathetic.

For the record: I've been friends with benefits zoned...and then i got a bf and now he's the one being friend (no benefits) zoned. We're like on one giant seesaw.

Les Miserables proves that you can get friendzoned as a girl as well. Also proves that stealing bread means shit will go down

As a victim of it for all my life, I can most certainly attest that the Friend Zone exists. Been the bane of my existence for ages now...

My theory is that women are SO used to men hitting on them with little effort on their part that if a guy doesn't flat out "hit" on you, then you're apparently not interested in them.

This is why nice guys almost always finish last.

15+ Year Old Account
    I once exited it. It felt like I was right in everything in my life. Now, I just keep my distance. Not letting myself be exploited in any friggin' way. It also feels relieving to say what you think and not be nice when you don't want to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    As a victim of it for all my life, I can most certainly attest that the Friend Zone exists. Been the bane of my existence for ages now...

My theory is that women are SO used to men hitting on them with little effort on their part that if a guy doesn't flat out "hit" on you, then you're apparently not interested in them.

Hardly the bane of your existence. Just the bane of your sex life.

Deleted

I'm sorry, but, isn't that why cowards finish last?

10+ Year Old Account

Or the woman is just plain oblivious, like in my case. Didnt know this one guy, the FwB dude, liked me until he planted one right on my mouth.

also, its not nice guys that finish last, its SHY ones that do. Although here i cannot give any avice myself as i am 1) a chick and 2) extremely shy

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnie View Post
    I'm sorry, but, isn't that why cowards finish last?
    Trying to not act like an obvious douche who just wants one thing =/= coward.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The Friend Zone: where the man gets close enough to think he has a chance, while the woman believes he has zero interest in her.

It's an illusion caused by a difference in perspectives and desires.
    More like where the man has no idea if he has a chance or not, doesnt want to risk anything and therefore nothing ever happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    It definitely exists and there is no escape. If you really try and escape it then the friendship as a whole dissipates. You have to find that perfect time early on to ask them out. Not too early as you're a total stranger but before you really hang out and become a friend.
    Last edited by Boricha; 2013-01-11 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    More like where the man has no idea if he has a chance or not, doesnt want to risk anything and therefore nothing ever happens.
    Yup, that would be why he's stuck in friendzone with unrequited dirty thoughts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamman View Post
    Trying to not act like an obvious douche who just wants one thing =/= coward.
    Well, if the lady isn't getting the message, you are obviously not being enough of a douche, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Yup, that would be why he's stuck in friendzone with unrequited dirty thoughts
    Honestly, girls that I really really liked I was incapable of having dirty thoughts about, I just watched Kylie Minogue videos and had dirty thoughts about her instead. Thank god for MTV.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Honestly, girls that I really really liked I was incapable of having dirty thoughts about.
    True dat

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomnie View Post
    Well, if the lady isn't getting the message, you are obviously not being enough of a douche, anyway.
    also, being foreward =/= being a douche. Some women just need the strong hint. its also totally possible to escape th friendzone with a friendship intact if you manage to find someone else who you care for even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL found the "perfect" video for how to avoid the friendzone
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vaROKqlXsg4