Since the changes to destro kind of knocked the spec out into the water I've been trying to learn demo I think I've been doing ok sort of but I feel like I'm doing something terribly wrong in my rotation. I start off fine been able to do my opener where I can burst to nearly 200k on a test dummy but after that I noticed my dps just kind of tampers off into failville (and by fail I mean down to like 90-100k) and I'm not quite sure how to keep my dps more stable? I have UVLS non-heroic and a 529 ilvl.... but I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong can anyone offer some advice?

Edit:
    I frequent this forum and icy-veins site to try to get tips on rotation but there's just something I think I am missing that I am loosing so much dps I just can't figure it out
    Last edited by Guineverie; 2013-09-13 at 03:41 PM. Reason: just wanted to add some things I've done to try to improve dps on my own

Never go by dummy performance, it is hardly representative. Use dummies to get used to your rotation, to set up your UI, things like that; do not use them for numbers. [NOTE: I'm sure someone is going to point it out but there are *some* cases where you do use them for numbers, but it's basically all advanced stuff you do not need to concern yourself with]

It is not uncommon for your opening burst to be double your sustained DPS or more, especially playing Demo. Do not let these numbers fool you. Most of the time, what matters for a boss fight is overall performance, not the opening.

You are already on the right track: study and analyze several guides and guidelines for the spec, and familiarize yourself with the standard procedures, as well as the special cases and points of contention. The single most important thing when starting out with a new spec (or class) is to get used to it; practice, practice, practice. Run raids whenever you can, LFR, Flex, PUG or not, what matters is that you *play*. See yourself in action, get your fingers accustomed to the right buttons, train your hand-eye-coordination to react to the right things. Once you get that down, try to optimize and adapt to the specific fights. *A lot* of damage actually comes from not just doing the right rotation, but doing it in a way that best fights the fight in question. There are many mechanics and strategies that change things up, and give you opportunities to apply your specific tools and abilities for a performance gain (real performance, of course, no meter padding).

As for tools, aside from these forums and some other sites (always use multiple sources, do not bank on a single one - they could make a mistake) you should definitely take the time to get used to SimCraft. It is an invaluable tool in analyzing your specific setup, evaluating your performance, your upgrades, your gear... and many more. As always, do not take its numbers as gospel - take them as a statistical representation and relative guideline, never an absolute value.

Good luck!

so.... demo was amazing on every fight until... garrosh. like seriously wtf, i was certain i had unequipped a weapon or major armor item because of how low i was in dps. for reference i was top dps on every fight up to this point, was 50k above 2nd dps on paragons @290k but on our longer attempts on garrosh getting to near p3 im dead last @ 175kish, this is including amazing 1mil+ openers with the aoe on adds. I tried swapping out imp swarm and saw a small gain but will maybe try gosac, not really sure what else to do. Is affliction the only option for this one?

A quick question:
    Has anyone else noticed the doubled Fury cost of Void Ray? (80 instead of 40)

Anyone still going for haste breakpoints? aside from Affliction swapping?

Quote Originally Posted by weakdots View Post
    so.... demo was amazing on every fight until... garrosh. like seriously wtf, i was certain i had unequipped a weapon or major armor item because of how low i was in dps. for reference i was top dps on every fight up to this point, was 50k above 2nd dps on paragons @290k but on our longer attempts on garrosh getting to near p3 im dead last @ 175kish, this is including amazing 1mil+ openers with the aoe on adds. I tried swapping out imp swarm and saw a small gain but will maybe try gosac, not really sure what else to do. Is affliction the only option for this one?
    Demo IS amazing on every fight! Here's my guild's two best attempts on Garrosh last night (we only had an hour and a half on him) for reference.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=14783&e=15239
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=15479&e=15959

EDIT: Since these are a guildmates logs, I'm going to run my own on Sunday (our next raid night) to see if the intermission phases have parsing issues.

EDIT2: I just logged in for the first time since last night, and it looks like I screwed up Reforgelite for Garrosh. I had Haste 8100 > Crit >Mastery....

So that's cool.

Undoubtedly dps will go up after my reforge is correct and I gain 20% mastery.
    Last edited by Mazda; 2013-09-13 at 07:59 PM.

Deleted
    Hey guys, I've just got the flex [Purified bindings of immerseus] which trinket should i replace it for? I have breath and UVLS normal. Thank you

I tried demo the first few attempts and while the aoe was good unless you have to be one of the major sources of dmg on the adds in phase 1 I would recommend going Aff like I did and focusing on single targeting garrosh and dotting the desecrated weapon. Our other lock was destro and of course shit on everyone during phase 1 because of the cleave but when we killed it I had something like 174 mill done to garrosh while he had a measly 78mill and our dps was nearly identical at the end. The fight is all about realizing where your dmg needs to go and what your role is. If your group has lots of cleave classes ignore the adds and focus on weapon or garrosh dmg. If you want to play demo you can do this by dooming as many adds as possible and dropping hog on the pile to put some cleave dmg in and generate lots of fury for garrosh dmg. Personally I liked Aff for the fight based on the early pulls with it and demo needing more attempts to find out how to maximize where your dmg needs to go but next week I will be demo regardless of our comp and will see how it goes. Demo was very nice for almost every fight though. We used a 3 Aff lock exhaust blood strat on paragons and Aff was quicker conveyor belt dmg for blackfuse. Demo on Thok was just pure trolling the rest of my raid with ToC spam while they all stood around looking pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    Eh, I have little sympathy for such complaints. Mythic raiders will have mythic weapons and mythic trinkets that will be far more powerful than a random legendary world drop. Power wise they'll still be at the top of the mountain. This is just a way for other people to have other special things, which is not anything mythic raiders should get to have a monopoly on.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Hey guys, I've just got the flex [Purified bindings of immerseus] which trinket should i replace it for? I have breath and UVLS normal. Thank you
    Replace your Breath. UVLS is still pretty much BIS for demo until you get Heroic gear, and even then it's competitive as long as you can snapshot pandemic doom with 100% crit.

We did Garrosh yesterday and the two affliction warlocks were higher but not by much. I found supremacy worked well, I concentrated on weapon and Garrosh and Mc people. I am suspecting you were noticing, and I didn't notice either but you have to watch you pet when coming back from up top the platforms, they arn't going to attack your target they seem to just stand there when coming back down. I was constantly having to tell my Wraithgaurd to attack, and he wasn't on standby.

Quote Originally Posted by lichanator View Post
    We did Garrosh yesterday and the two affliction warlocks were higher but not by much. I found supremacy worked well, I concentrated on weapon and Garrosh and Mc people. I am suspecting you were noticing, and I didn't notice either but you have to watch you pet when coming back from up top the platforms, they arn't going to attack your target they seem to just stand there when coming back down. I was constantly having to tell my Wraithgaurd to attack, and he wasn't on standby.
    Ok I'm not crazy! I noticed that and thought I was going insane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazgoth View Post
    Replace your Breath. UVLS is still pretty much BIS for demo until you get Heroic gear, and even then it's competitive as long as you can snapshot pandemic doom with 100% crit.
    Thought so Thank you! also does the trinket mean you'll gain all them stats? cos when i use it it doesn't show up on my stats? Think i'm just being stupid though D;?

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Thought so Thank you! also does the trinket mean you'll gain all them stats? cos when i use it it doesn't show up on my stats? Think i'm just being stupid though D;?
    No problem. Yes, you permanently gain that % of your secondaries when you have it equipped. Maybe try relogging with/without trinket and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    What waas the cost of fel flame before?
    Definitely not 24% max mana for Destruction. It was like 2% max mana I believe.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me (I don't and will never understand complex math equasions, nor how to spell that), how crit can possibly pull ahead of haste?
    I mean: haste= faster casts, faster imps, more imps, dots tick faster, more mc procs, I just don't get how crit could possibly be ahead for demo...
    Is this calculated for AFTER we replace UVLS or something? I just can't for the life of me understand how this makes sense,
    PLEASE, learn me.

Also, how can Mannoroths Fury pull ahead of Archies darkness? Unless it's a trash pack or adds in a fight? Do boss encounters have a lot of adds on LFR and flex mode this patch? (they are all I plan to invest my time with this patch.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2013-09-13 at 10:23 PM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Also, how can Mannoroths Fury pull ahead of Archies darkness? Unless it's a trash pack or adds in a fight? Do boss encounters have a lot of adds on LFR and flex mode this patch? (they are all I plan to invest my time with this patch.
    AV gives you 20 seconds of extra DS over the duration of the fight (Yes, additional benefit for stacking it with trinket procs which is why it's so strong).

MF gives +100% immolation aura damage for 10 seconds every 1 min x the number of mins the fight lasts.

I've not been giving demo much attention this tier since I'm trying to get back into affliction, but iirc immolation aura was already quite strong, a 100% boost as regularly as it comes will be quite potent on single target and only gets better when you add more.

Too many pages to read through so hopefully someone can help me but what are the ideal major/ minor glyphs to use and macros?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Can someone PLEASE explain to me (I don't and will never understand complex math equasions, nor how to spell that), how crit can possibly pull ahead of haste?
    I mean: haste= faster casts, faster imps, more imps, dots tick faster, more mc procs, I just don't get how crit could possibly be ahead for demo...
    Is this calculated for AFTER we replace UVLS or something? I just can't for the life of me understand how this makes sense,
    PLEASE, learn me.

from the looks of it, you wont replace UVLS anytime soon as its still very very good for demo. atleast im seeing an increase in procs even after the removal of haste scaling altho i dont really play demo all that often, but for the other specs its certainly proccing a lot, so if you have a hc or hc tf version of UVLS i would definately stick with it for a long while.

No HTF UVLS, just a 2/2 heroic one. I'm seeing decent odds of a proc around the pull...after that its still really RNG but I don't feel terribly DF starved..especially using the FF filler thing. (which I still will most likely till I get 4xT16 IF I even go to 4x). Trinket wise I'd probably go heroic amp + current UVLS and keep that combo through progression for demo. Aff is a different story....though so far I haven't seen any fights I'd need to be aff on. Some that aff works similarly to demo but nothing that is a demo dealbreaker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    No HTF UVLS, just a 2/2 heroic one. I'm seeing decent odds of a proc around the pull...after that its still really RNG but I don't feel terribly DF starved..especially using the FF filler thing. (which I still will most likely till I get 4xT16 IF I even go to 4x). Trinket wise I'd probably go heroic amp + current UVLS and keep that combo through progression for demo. Aff is a different story....though so far I haven't seen any fights I'd need to be aff on. Some that aff works similarly to demo but nothing that is a demo dealbreaker.
    im currently seeing uvls proccing 90-95% of the time around 5-8 secs into the pull which is rather good certainly makes it a very viable choice demo(still BiS if you have hc version of it afaik) and its only the tf version i have.