Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Am I on the right track?

Hi all,

I decided to make my warlock my new main character a few days ago and was wondering if I'm on the right track. It's been kind of a rough transition for me because in the past I've played healers in every venue. Battlegrounds, dungeons, raids, ect... But, it was time to do something different.

Anyway, I'm left wondering if I'm doing okay damage for my gear level (ilvl 461 at the time). I did LFR vaults and ranged from 48-60k (as affliction) on boss fights (80k on Elegon) and overall I did 50k dps. I know there's a lot of room for improvement since this was my first time dps'ing but I'm left wondering how much of it was my gear? I followed the advice in the stickied affliction guide as best as I could.

Here is my character: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Bomzi/advanced

When I ran LFR I was at ilvl461, hit at 15% and 4200 haste. I got some gear upgrades from heroics so my gems, reforging, and enchants are off at the moment, but I will be back at my original hit and haste levels before I raid again. I'm actually going to raid 10 MV with my guild tonight.

Which leads me to ask, what is the best way to do the first boss as affliction? In LFR I tried to maintain a stack of dots on each dog but that didn't seem to work out too well. I'm probably missing some mechanic...
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-08 at 08:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AThe mechanic you are missing is maleific grasp. Alot of our dps comes from mg . Others may find it easy but u have a hell of a time trying to multi dot so i would focus on dpsing one dog in your raid tonight. At work do can't go into detail but a good rule for Dps is do not ever be idle. Even if a cd is about to come up atleast mg or something.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I was using MG as well. But between monitoring and refreshing all the dots, I didn't have much time to use it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 06:45 PM ----------

Okay, so I found out what I was doing wrong on Stone Guard. Apparently, I only have to keep two dotted at any one time because the third takes 90% reduced damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Okay, so I found out what I was doing wrong on Stone Guard. Apparently, I only have to keep two dotted at any one time because the third takes 90% reduced damage.
    This is true. You only dot the active dogs, in which case there is time to use Malefic Grasp, depending on if you have KJC and/or are running with the debuff, to power up the tiles. Everybody in your raid should be doing this, except for the healers. I imagine your dps is quite slow, so try to get 100 stacks every time. And again when they remove it. And again. Your tanks should be taking stacks too, if they are able (geared). Ughh derailed information, sorry.

Your dps for your gear seems reasonable tbh. But your gemming and enchanting is a bit off. You want to enchant intellect whereever possible (cloak!) and mastery where it isn't (gloves!) and you should be gemming intellect, grabbing socket bonuses ofcourse. So blue would be intellect + hit (purple called veiled) and yellow would be intellect + mastery (orange called artful). Red is just pure intellect.

Evrelia made a reasonably good guide on youtube, so if you're still questioning the mechanics, I'd recommend looking at that. Also try AffDots and TidyPlates (addons).

Edit: Btw upgrade your Zen Alchemist Stone, that trinket is _IN_SANE!_
    Last edited by mmoce7431826d4; 2013-01-09 at 05:13 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    This is true. You only dot the active dogs, in which case there is time to use Malefic Grasp, depending on if you have KJC and/or are running with the debuff, to power up the tiles. Everybody in your raid should be doing this, except for the healers. I imagine your dps is quite slow, so try to get 100 stacks every time. And again when they remove it. And again. Your tanks should be taking stacks too, if they are able (geared). Ughh derailed information, sorry.

Your dps for your gear seems reasonable tbh. But your gemming and enchanting is a bit off. You want to enchant intellect whereever possible (cloak!) and mastery where it isn't (gloves!) and you should be gemming intellect, grabbing socket bonuses ofcourse. So blue would be intellect + hit (purple called veiled) and yellow would be intellect + mastery (orange called artful). Red is just pure intellect.

Evrelia made a reasonably good guide on youtube, so if you're still questioning the mechanics, I'd recommend looking at that. Also try AffDots and TidyPlates (addons).
    he said 461 ilvl, so i doubt he is doing HC stone guard? but yeah 55k+ in that gear is reasonable for someone new i would say.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can throw corruption on the OT's dog to gain soul shard procs, also I dot them all anyway, so when taunt switches happen you have a 10 stack agony rolling

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by planktin View Post
    you can throw corruption on the OT's dog to gain soul shard procs, also I dot them all anyway, so when taunt switches happen you have a 10 stack agony rolling
    it would be more efficient to soul swap off the dog that is being taunted away and onto the new active one. but corr on all 3 is worth it

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep it in mind as I get new gear and get more boss attempts in.

Everyone says that DPS is so easy but I see that's not really the case at all. I'm finding it difficult to get the most of my character damage-wise while trying to pay attention to everything else going on around me. Definitely feel more comfortable with healing at the moment, but I'm going to keep trying with my warlock.

keep at it.. sounds like youre on the right track.. and your dps stated above sounds right in comparison to your ilvl.

A note about his gemming suggestions. Check your stat weights. If your mastery or haste weights are more than half of your int weight then you should be putting int+haste or int/mastery gems in the red sockets over pure int gems. It's not a big dps increase but it is one nonetheless.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing you mention stat weights because I actually went ahead a simmed my chracter and got:

Int: 2.93
    Haste: 1.27
    Mastery: 1.23
    Hit: 1.19
    Crit: 0.94

Which leaves my wondering if I simmed correctly because from what I've read mastery is supposed to be better after 4700 haste and I have over 4900. Doesn't matter though because apparently I should be gemming int.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Good thing you mention stat weights because I actually went ahead a simmed my chracter and got:

Int: 2.93
    Haste: 1.27
    Mastery: 1.23
    Hit: 1.19
    Crit: 0.94

Which leaves my wondering if I simmed correctly because from what I've read mastery is supposed to be better after 4700 haste and I have over 4900. Doesn't matter though because apparently I should be gemming int.
    My sim shows haste > mastery as well. Sim shouldnt be considered 100% accurate (as far as im informed) due to less than perfect APL. My experience (quite little) show than going full mast after haste threshold is not favorable. Keep them close.