Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I'm so glad I see my picture on page 1 in this thread. :')
    I keep it saved because it is very useful :P

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Wow I feel ridiculously dumber right now, Thank you all like I had like a 30 min argument with a closefriend saying a firehawk a reskin It was a great time.
    As someone who works for Blizzard, I would expect you to know this
    Quote Originally Posted by Furkel View Post
    There's always, ALWAYS a "huge uproar" about anything Blizz does, usually from people who either don't entirely understand the thing they're complaining about, or refuse to acknowledge that most players are perfectly okay with the current state of affairs. Whenever people complain that they don't listen to feedback it mostly means "they don't listen to ME ME ME".
    My new signature. Thanks.

  3. #23
    Reskin - Mesh is the same, textures are different.
    Remodel - Skeleton and animation is the same, mesh is different.

    If the skeleton and animation are different, it's not a remodel. It's completely new.

    Also, a skeleton doesn't have to have meshes on all it's limbs. See Lord Marrowgar as an example. The skeleton has legs, you just can't see them.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post


    Some modding communities call model swaps reskins though, which leads to some confusion.
    Good god, I never realised those two models shared skeleton. But now it's obvious.

  5. #25
    Brewmaster Notos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    Good god, I never realised those two models shared skeleton. But now it's obvious.
    A testament to the skills of the art team, wouldn't you say?
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Before I go kill people in this BG I'm going to make this thread as It's been bothering me ever since I looked at the giant do-do bird thread.

    Now go on explain it to me.
    (just an example) reskin is when a proto drake is first blue and then they reskin it to black. remodel is when a proto drake is first a dragon and then the skeleton is taken out and u put a bird on fire on top of the skeleton with the same base figure and the movement of the body.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    (just an example) reskin is when a proto drake is first blue and then they reskin it to black. remodel is when a proto drake is first a dragon and then the skeleton is taken out and u put a bird on fire on top of the skeleton with the same base figure and the movement of the body.
    They just made a new model, and used the same skeleton. Models aren't shaped around a skeleton, skeletons are shaped after a model. In this case, they had a firebird in mind, and probably decided they could use the same skeleton later.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    They just made a new model, and used the same skeleton. Models aren't shaped around a skeleton, skeletons are shaped after a model. In this case, they had a firebird in mind, and probably decided they could use the same skeleton later.
    actually when creating models skeleton is the base and one most important part of it. also firehawk is a clear remodel it uses same skeleton and the figure has same movement

  9. #29
    This thread is ACE, very nice explainations and people are discussing in a civilized way. It could use more cool pictures like the Twilight Protodrake though!

    I would like to know more, like for example, are any of the new pandaria races a remodel of something else?

    Mogu look a bit like male draenai, for example.
    Is the heart of the aspect mount a unique skeleton?

  10. #30
    The word reskin pretty much explains it all. The same model only different textures (skin) on it. A remodel is a new/altered model built on the same skeleton.

  11. #31
    Mechagnome Korrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    749
    Dragonhawks in different colours - Reskin's
    Nether Rays use's the same skeleton, but it's another model.
    Then the Heart of the aspect comes, using the Dragonhawk/Nether Ray skeleton. But it's a new model.
    Then we get the cloudserpents wich is basicly, the heart of the aspects without it's wings and altered animations - wich is a new model.

    But people here on MMO tend to scream "OMG BLIZZ ANOTHER RESKIN" as soon as there's two models with the same skeleton,
    Doesn't matter whatever picture I post here, "Scrapbot" will allways infract me for it.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by zyx View Post
    Good god, I never realised those two models shared skeleton. But now it's obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    A testament to the skills of the art team, wouldn't you say?


    More like a testament to his lack of attention. It's blatant that Blizzard keeps re-using the same skeletons over and over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

  13. #33
    Warchief Galbrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalkin View Post
    This thread is ACE, very nice explainations and people are discussing in a civilized way. It could use more cool pictures like the Twilight Protodrake though!

    I would like to know more, like for example, are any of the new pandaria races a remodel of something else?

    Mogu look a bit like male draenai, for example.
    Is the heart of the aspect mount a unique skeleton?
    Pandarens don't share their skeletons with anything else so far, so no remodels, they are brand new in every way. Same thing goes for the hozen.

    Mogu are indeed a remodel (not reskin) of draenei, much like the saurok are a remodel of worgen, the jinyu are a remodel of night elves and the grummels are remodels of pigmies.

    And last, as far as I know, the Heart of Aspects are unique and share their skeleton with no other creature ingame. Maybe they share it with cloud serpents, but the animations are very different so I'm not sure.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    actually when creating models skeleton is the base and one most important part of it. also firehawk is a clear remodel it uses same skeleton and the figure has same movement
    Ofc, it's very important for animating purposes. But they decide in the designing process what family the mount is based on. It's only logical they use the same skeleton if it's from the same family, but they could've chosen to go with another skeleton, and change the animations with it.

    Another good example is the pic posted of the comparison between the bird groundmount and the raptor mount. They model the bird, and decided to go with the raptor skeleton probably later in the process.

  15. #35
    I am Murloc! Raiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    A testament to the skills of the art team, wouldn't you say?
    Not to those of us who noticed immediately.

    I want one of those blue armored raptors now.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I'm so glad I see my picture on page 1 in this thread. :')
    The picture is wrong though. The first one is recolor, not reskin.

  17. #37
    Scarab Lord Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    The picture is wrong though. The first one is recolor, not reskin.
    *deep breath*

    The "skin" is the texture that wraps around a model.
    Recoloring is changing the texture colors from one color to another.
    A recolor is always a reskin.
    However, a reskin is not always a recolor, since you could change the texture to, for example, paint a tattoo somewhere.

    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

  18. #38
    Bloodsail Admiral Dassen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,088
    ..this shouldn't really be up to personal definition, hell, there shouldn't even be such a thing as "personal definition" when it comes to this. What it is is in the name, either a change of texture or a change of model.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

  19. #39
    My only issue with the term remodel is that it has a very broad use and because of this it's seen very negatively by a vast majority of the vocal wow community.
    What I mean by the is -
    A raptor ---> A raptor with a feather on it's leg = remodel
    A raptor ---> Raven Lord = remodel

    The difference here is one is a really small and simple modification of the existing raptor model, the other is almost entirely new with the exception of the skeleton.
    I guess it comes down too whether you consider the skeleton as part of the model.
    Last edited by autopsy; 2013-01-11 at 12:50 PM.

  20. #40
    Mechagnome Korrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    Pandarens don't share their skeletons with anything else so far, so no remodels, they are brand new in every way. Same thing goes for the hozen.

    Mogu are indeed a remodel (not reskin) of draenei, much like the saurok are a remodel of worgen, the jinyu are a remodel of night elves and the grummels are remodels of pigmies.

    And last, as far as I know, the Heart of Aspects are unique and share their skeleton with no other creature ingame. Maybe they share it with cloud serpents, but the animations are very different so I'm not sure.
    I think there's actually a blue post saying that Pandaren uses a highly tempred worgen skeleton.
    Will google it for source tho.

    EDIT: Can't seem to find it, damn.

    ( It's very clear with the females tho, you can see it. Even tho Pandaren are the nicest models we have in the game.)
    Last edited by Korrah; 2013-01-11 at 12:58 PM.
    Doesn't matter whatever picture I post here, "Scrapbot" will allways infract me for it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •