Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

I'm really overweight. I can't get myself to do anything. I'm desperate for help.

I'm going to start of by saying that I'm 20 years old. I'm 6'5" and I weight over 500 pounds. I'm scared to weigh myself. I'm scared that it won't be 500 but be 600 or more. You can't really tell that I weigh that much. I think that my height distributes the weight evenly so while I do look really big (and I mean really big, I can barely fit in a 4 door sedan) I don't look like I'm 500 pounds plus. People ask me how much I weigh and I lie, I say like 300 pounds. I've been big for most of my life, Probably 10 years now. Each year it gets worse and worse. I don't have any health issues that I know about. The only thing that I know I have is fatigue and sleep apnea. I'm worried that sometime in the near future I will develop Diabetes or something bad. I'm depressed and while it may not show, I know that I am. It hurts me to see myself like this, and I can't do anything about it. I've tried. I've tried many times. Somehow my mind just tells me no. Somehow I talk myself out of doing anything about it. I feel trapped. I want to get out, I want to feel normal. How do you guys manage to do it. Are there any tricks to get myself to go to the gym, to stop eating. I probably consume over 3000 calories a day. I fucking hate my life right now. Please give me any tips that will allow me to rethink my life, even though I am rethinking it right now, I know that come tomorrow I'll forget this, I'll just go on doing the same fucking thing everyday. Eat, Sleep, EAT EAT EAT FUCKING EAT... This is hard for me.

My first advice to you hun, would be go see your doctor, they will beable to help you with all the areas that need looking at. With weight issues, it tends not to just be about being overweight, there are usually alot of other things that are the cause. Usually Mental health issues. (Depression etc)

The fact that you have reached out, is the first step, now you need to get the help you need through official channels that can actually deal with your situation and give you the support you need to make change.

Mental Health Therapist/Dietician/physiotherapist etc can all help you with the various problems that may be holding you back from being able to keep your feet firmly planted towards your goal.

I wish you goodluck, and let you know that you are not alone, many people suffer from similar, it's a long road but if you are willing and have that support you can do it!

Goodluck

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't think that mmo-champion is the best place to get advice for your situation

i'd personally recommend talking to a doctor, because i really don't think that "eat less and do some jumping jacks" is really what you want to hear, if you're being sincere.

The first step is admitting you have a problem and want to fix it. Seems you already reached that checkpoint. I'd say start small. Cut your eating habits slowly and lightly and, over time, add to those food cuts. Another good thing to do is get moving physically, again a little to begin with (like maybe a 5-minute walk down the street).

I know it's hard, but YOU are the only one who can help yourself. I know it's not easy, but hopefully the fear you endure will be of some inspiration. Get yourself into a routine and force yourself to stick with it. Get a close friend or family member to do the same, as it's much easier when you have support.
    Last edited by UnholySanctuary; 2013-01-11 at 07:01 AM.

I know what that's like man. The being fat part, not the eating part. Mine is due to a childhood of high soda consumption and lack of physical exercise. Before I had access to cable internet I had satellite, suffice it to say that wasn't conducive to playing MMOs. I've been big since 5th grade, but when I got cable, therefore access to MMOs for real, I put on 50 lbs during the first summer. I put on another 50 during the school year and yet another 50 during the following summer. Since then I've been at this weight consistently. I haven't gained more than where I'm at, but I have lost then put it back on.

It's also medical for me as I have something called hypothyroidism, this messes with certain hormones in my body and allows for easier weight gain. They prescribe me medication to correct it, but I keep forgetting to take it. That's my issue, I just need to remember and I could shed some weight without really doing anything.

I'm 6'7 and 420 lbs. People regularly guess that I weigh no more than 250.

I know what I need to do to loose it, but every time I decide to do something, family issues get in the way. It's almost to the point that I need to shun my family for a year or two so I can focus on myself.

I hope you can figure out what you need to do to motivate yourself to change yourself to be where you want to be physically. I wish you luck man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krymefighter View Post
    I know what that's like man. The being fat part, not the eating part. Mine is due to a childhood of high soda consumption and lack of physical exercise. Before I had access to cable internet I had satellite, suffice it to say that wasn't conducive to playing MMOs. I've been big since 5th grade, but when I got cable, therefore access to MMOs for real, I put on 50 lbs during the first summer. I put on another 50 during the school year and yet another 50 during the following summer. Since then I've been at this weight consistently. I haven't gained more than where I'm at, but I have lost then put it back on.

It's also medical for me as I have something called hypothyroidism, this messes with certain hormones in my body and allows for easier weight gain. They prescribe me medication to correct it, but I keep forgetting to take it. That's my issue, I just need to remember and I could shed some weight without really doing anything.

I'm 6'7 and 420 lbs. People regularly guess that I weigh no more than 250.

I know what I need to do to loose it, but every time I decide to do something, family issues get in the way. It's almost to the point that I need to shun my family for a year or two so I can focus on myself.

I hope you can figure out what you need to do to motivate yourself to change yourself to be where you want to be physically. I wish you luck man.
    My fiance has hypo, seriously just take the medication. The weight drops off. She was never overweight (like a size 10-12) but since she has been on her medication she's an 8-10. You'll see a massive change in life if you stick to it.

Only drink water and get a job and walk everywhere.

What kind of doctors should I see? I think it might be more than just being lazy, I might have some kind of mental issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKen View Post
    What kind of doctors should I see? I think it might be more than just being lazy, I might have some kind of mental issue.
    Ken, I'd do a google search of well-rated therapists in your area and make an appointment. Once you do that you can just unload on someone and hopefully unlock the reason why you got so big. Often with obesity there is a lot of shame and self hate - someone needs to walk you through that. You're going to need as much support as you can, so the more trusted friends/family you can get involved in this, the better. It's ok to lean on others when you need help. It's probably not going to be cheap to lose 500 pounds, but your life is worth more than money.

On top of that, I'd seek out a personal trainer. It's going to be really hard to lose the weight without an exercise schedule and someone keeping you accountable and motivated. I don't think everyone needs a trainer to lose weight (many people are just being lazy), but your situation may call for some extra help. These guys don't come cheap, but then again the price tag of a trainer may be a necessary evil if you don't want to get really sick or die.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2013-01-11 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Ken, I'd do a google search of well-rated therapists in your area and make an appointment. Once you do that you can just unload on someone and hopefully unlock the reason why you got so big. Often with obesity there is a lot of shame and self hate - someone needs to walk you through that. You're going to need as much support as you can, so the more trusted friends/family you can get involved in this, the better. It's ok to lean on others when you need help. It's probably not going to be cheap to lose 500 pounds, but your life is worth more than money.

On top of that, I'd seek out a personal trainer. It's going to be really hard to lose the weight without an exercise schedule and someone keeping you accountable and motivated. I don't think everyone needs a trainer to lose weight (many people are just being lazy), but your situation may call for some extra help. These guys don't come cheap, but then again the price tag of a trainer may be a necessary evil if you don't want to get really sick or die.
    Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dropped from 260 down to 170, granted thats kind of low since I am 6'2 but really it became noticeable when I just removed things completely from my diet. Last 14 months I have had 1 soda total, and have removed high fructose syrup from any food I eat and go out to eat only 1-2 times a month. For me it was a lot of will power trying to not eat garbage food. Also I stopped buying snacks of any kind really except things like carrots or a slice of wheat bread or something. Just remember calories, fat, and sugar all contribute so its not a bad idea to monitor your intake of each. Perhaps find out what you are taking in nutritional wise and see if you can adjust things that might be enough of a start to begin the losing process without changing your entire life style immediately.

Go see a doctor.
    But if you are asking Dr MMO-C community...
    First step is to admit you have a problem. Well done. Now do something about it.
    70% of the battle is diet. Just start by cutting out the crap food groups, sweets, cakes, chocolate, crisps etc. try and eat a balanced diet - and this doesn't have to be a lettuce each day. Kings breakfast to get the metabolism going in the morning, most important meal in the day for a reason. Aim for 1500 calories a day (or in basic terms consume less calories) and weight will naturally begin to drop. (Unless you have another health issue underlying this).
    Excercise - don't think you have to go to the gym. Go for walks, build it up over time. Find a sport that you enjoy (darts not included :-)
    Drink lots of water. None of that lucozade shit that's full of sugar.
    At the ned of the day, do it for yourself. There is no trick to get you in the gym, you either want this or you don't.
    Good luck.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

What kind of doctor would I have to see? My family doctor did shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    On top of what others have said, your situation may need to change.

What I mean by that is don't just get up and go exercise or start not eating, I mean like really make a change. It's quite possibly the convenience of your life that lets you live this way. My suggestion, if it's an option, is probably to move. Not like move your body, like go find a new place to live, maybe even a new city, and reboot your life. I found after leaving my parents house and all the shit junk food they bought me I was able to lose weight without really trying. It's a lot easier to not buy something at the supermarket than it is to not eat something in your fridge. Also, being near fast food or being in delivery range of anything other than pizza (I mean, they deliver pizza everywhere) is a negative if you start looking at places.

If you can't afford to move or if your location is not the problem, try changing how you get around (if you can). Walking, and when you are at a weight to do so biking, are great ways to get anywhere close (or slightly farther away), while staying in shape. It's also a lot easier to be like "fuck the convenience store, I ain't walkin there." You may be too far from anything to be able to walk anywhere though.

If neither of these things is an option to you, then do as people above have suggested (and even if what I suggested is an option, don't ignore what others said). You may need a lot of external help from friends/family/doctors/trainers, or you may be better off leaving them behind an reinventing yourself. Only you can really know what the root of the problem is, and if you don't already, as others said a therapist is a good start.
    WoW is a game of information; the more you know, the better you are.

When it comes to losing weight you have to accept it wont all happen in a short amount of time so dont get discouraged. I was only 265 but had a bad abdominal CT scan and my doctor said to lose weight. I never even exercised at all and over a 4 month period I lost 30 pounds. Im sure thats not great but just knowing I lost weight with no effort was a huge confidence booster and since then I have dropped another 25 pounds and even started working out since after losing weight it has become a lot easier to do stuff like push ups, sit ups, and chin ups to help tone your body. It was actually a joke to lose it. All I did was cut out anything involving mayonnaise. Also no fried foods. No Pizza or fast food or anything with caffeine in it. Also stopped drinking beer and if I wanted a drink only drank vodka and water. Thats all. Losing weight is easy once you get the first few pounds off. You dont need some professional diet or over the top exercise regiment. I lost all my weight and still sat in front of my PC playing games all day long. Getting your diet in check is the first thing you should do and that will account for a huge amount of weight loss. Also after a few weeks those cravings go away. I mean I used to eat ranch dressing and mayonnaise on everything but in the last year I havent even had the urge to use either of them.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-01-11 at 07:56 AM.

Deleted
    Like others said, when you are hungry just drink water. You have to see the junk food like a fu***** poison spell done by someone who want you dead.

Easy exercise : Push ups on a wall ( for example ) 20 x 10 series with 3 min rest between each.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mmoca1e94eb7cd; 2013-01-11 at 08:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard someone say once: if you're hungry, eat an apple. If you don't want to eat an apple, you probably aren't actually hungry.

Of course, I now find myself eating a lot of apples.

For me, the key to losing weight (nothing spectacular -- down from about 200 lbs to just under 150) was keeping track of everything I ate. If I had to account for the calories, even to myself, I was less likely to sit and binge, which has always been my problem.

Wow 6' 5" lol, that's so tall.

Alright so, seeing a Doctor yeah might help but really you're gonna have to do some things yourself that a Doctor can advise you to do but you're the one who actually has to do it.

First, you need to really want this change. I mean REALLY want this. It may seem like a stupid thing to say, of course you're going to want to lose weight, but you're going to have to want it enough to change your lifestyle completely for a very long time, and you have to stick to it. Anyone can decide they want to go on a diet, stick it out for maybe a week or two, then have a weekend off or deciding to loosen up a bit and they end up blowing their diet off completely. I'm not sure what your living situation is, but you should tell your family and/or friends (if it applies) that you're trying to lose some weight. Don't brag about it or make a big deal of it, just tell them humbly, because you're definitely going to want their support (not that they'll give you that much, it's on you to stick to your diet and exercise, but knowing that people expect you to keep up with it is a good motivator).

So. Now you're going to need a combination of diet and exercise of course, and that can come from many many many different sources and types. This is a long term process so don't just jump into the most hardcore workouts and diets, ease into it. You can't just learn a trick to "stop eating." Start off with limiting your food consumption. Don't starve yourself initially, but make sure you don't overeat at all. The most important thing for this diet, though, is making sure you have healthier food. This part is hard, not everyone is used to eating the same things. You should see what kind of foods you have available to you and try to work it out so you have good choices. Oh and, nothing but water. This is not optional, you're not allowed to drink ANYTHING but water. I know, sometimes you're gonna be hungry, but you're just gonna have to learn to ignore that and occupy your time with something else. (Usually I play a video game or chew some gum and drink water if I'm hungry but know I'm not gonna have a meal.)

The exercise part...Just take it easy for the beginning. I don't know if you have equipment or room for equipment or you have a gym membership or whatever. Just ride on a stationary bike or walk on a treadmill for some time until your body gets used to the exercise, and lift some weights as well. When you get in better shape, your options will open and you can do some more intense stuff in a program, or use some more diverse equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by UnholySanctuary View Post
    The first step is admitting you have a problem and want to fix it. Seems you already reached that checkpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKen View Post
    People ask me how much I weigh and I lie, I say like 300 pounds.
    There's a difference between admitting you have problems anonymously and then admitting you have problems for real.

I know how hard it is to change your diet, and I sometimes tend to get selfrighteous because I stopped drinking soda, but in my case I was sligthly overweight (like 20 pounds) and even then it was hard. You just need to try.
    I can only advice that you seek professional help. Someone adviced a doctor, that's a good starting point.