Thread: No flying 5.2

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Thread is pointless. GC confirmed that no flying mounts is a bug on the PTR.
    source please

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread is pointless. GC confirmed that no flying mounts is a bug on the PTR.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Finally, I think we need to be able to mount in that instance. I think travel time is just going to be way too much of a problem otherwise.
    The fact that you cannot currently mount in the exterior ruins section of the zone is a bug.
    He is talking about the raid instance and ground mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    The front page just showed a tweet answered by GC that suggested that Chinese WoW players, who make up the majority of the subscription base, play for prestige rather than fun. They are the sort of people the entire genre is tailored to.

I am not arguing against convenience per se, only that flying mounts arguably add too much convenience.
    Also, if your goal is to spend your free time not doing tedious activities then it might be that MMORPGs aren't really tailored to your tastes.
    lololol no, wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    But traveling isn't really "something to do". Nobody logs in and thinks "Yay today i'll spend half my time online riding through zones". Traveling is not content, traveling is a time-sink. And we are talking about a daily zone here, so all the exploration factor goes away pretty quickly when you do the same quests again and again every day.
    There is nothing wrong with time-sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well WoW is right now. But a few disgrunteled people like you are trying to change that.

If WoW is too convenient for you, maybe it's not tailored to your tastes?

*sorry could not resist*
    I'm just making a suggestion to improve the game. Flying mounts are not a dealbreaker for me because I do enjoy flying, nor would I cry if they were removed.

Also this. Travel is fun for the first month. After that it's annoying as fuck to need 10mins to get anywhere.

Disclaimer: I agree that flying mounts are problematic for PvP Servers and open world ganking. I'm talking from a PvE Server perspective.
    One whole month of fun is pretty good, considering if you're doing your dailies daily you'll probably be where you want to by the one month mark.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    lololol no, wrong
    If you can prove me wrong, please do; it's just the impression I'm under.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finally, I think we need to be able to mount in that instance. I think travel time is just going to be way too much of a problem otherwise.
    The fact that you cannot currently mount in the exterior ruins section of the zone is a bug.
    He is talking about the raid instance and ground mounts.
    Yeah, he was talking about the raid instance, but isn't it funny how a sentiment like "Oh, flying makes it too safe and convenient! Should remove flying!"
    just wanted to clarify something r u now or have you ever been completely or partially against flying mounts?
    It's not that simple. It would be hard to remove them, yet we don't like how they minimize exploration, travel & sense of danger.
    gets tossed out there by Blizz, but "Running on foot in the raid takes too long. We'll let you use mounts!" is said the same day!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just making a suggestion to improve the game.
    "Improving" according to YOUR opinion. Which is totally okay, everyone can put in suggestions
    But stop acting as if the removal of flying mounts would improve anything on an objective scale.

"Oh, flying makes it too safe and convenient! Should remove flying!"
    Which is quite idiotic, if you ask me, because
    1) they constantly put oil in the fire.
    2) They removed every goddamn mob from the outdoor world that was even remotely able to kill you.

I remember back in the day, feeling in real danger when I suddenly strolled into an area filled with elite. Trying to take a few down and dying in the progress, now THAT made the world feel mean and alive. Areas where you don't stand a chance on your own.

But naaah they fill every spot with Mobs you can steamroll in greens and talk about how flying makes the world too safe. looool.

One whole month of fun is pretty good,
    Agreed. But people want to play MMOs for years. (Blizzard wants that too)
    So at some point they need to add convenience.

I think that getting flight once leveling journey is complete feels good and very rewarding. It's a perfect point to give the player convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or, more likely, GC doesn't side with the pro-flyers. It isn't a stretch, judging by how he's balanced gameplay that he's an MMO purist at heart.
    I really don't think GC's taking 'sides' from an official standpoint, moreso that he's pointing out that he would have done things differently back in BC if it were his call on a personal basis. He also acknowledges that there's no simple answer in the debate between pro-flying and anti-flying and that it's unlikely they will be totally removed (besides, unlocking flight after a new expansion's level grind provides both a feeling of accomplishment and a nice gold sink)

The convenience and ease of completing content while flying reduces the shelf-life of said content by making it take less time to complete. As a result, Blizzard is pressured to release more content in a shorter timeframe.
    I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. By keeping more content coming faster, they avoid the number one criticism that's often levied against MMORPGs: a world that grows stagnant between raid content updates.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Personally it isn't flying that I'll miss, but the speed of the mounts. I hate the slow speed of ground mounts at times...

-Grim

So I will now have to ride everywhere on my ground mount while totally ignoring other players rather than flying there. Oh boy, that will totally add a lot to the experience. Or not. Just implement it on PvP servers since people there are so hungry for PvP yet apparently go out of their way not to do it so much that the developers have to facilitate it.

"Improving" according to YOUR opinion. Which is totally okay, everyone can put in suggestions
    But stop acting as if the removal of flying mounts would improve anything on an objective scale.
    But it is on the objective scale. The more time people spend in the world, the longer they will maintain their subscriptions; this translates to increased revenue for Blizzard, which in turn translates to more and better quality products.

Which is quite idiotic, if you ask me, because
    1) they constantly put oil in the fire.
    2) They removed every goddamn mob from the outdoor world that was even remotely able to kill you.

I remember back in the day, feeling in real danger when I suddenly strolled into an area filled with elite. Trying to take a few down and dying in the progress, now THAT made the world feel mean and alive. Areas where you don't stand a chance on your own.

But naaah they fill every spot with Mobs you can steamroll in greens and talk about how flying makes the world too safe. looool.
    Yeah I don't like how they handled that situation either. IMO they should reintroduce outdoor elite areas.

Agreed. But people want to play MMOs for years. (Blizzard wants that too)
    So at some point they need to add convenience.

I think that getting flight once leveling journey is complete feels good and very rewarding. It's a perfect point to give the player convenience.
    I agree, which is why I think a better solution to the flight problem would be to improve on its mechanics and flight's overall role in the game.
    For one thing, there should be more flying mobs, preferably elites that might hinder air travel. Daily quest areas should have defenses against flying enemies so that players can't drop straight down on their targets. To counterbalance this, all flying mounts should have vehicle mechanics that allow you to evade air attacks and retaliate. There should also be some way of using spells when in a dogfight or when facing anti-flying artillery. In order for the game to have this technical allowance, different types of combat should be implemented. That way, flight combat will function differently than ground combat in that you can't engage enemies that fight ground-style while flying.

Flying could make for compelling gameplay, but as it exists now it's merely a convenience that arguably has a negative net effect on gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    I really don't think GC's taking 'sides' from an official standpoint, moreso that he's pointing out that he would have done things differently back in BC if it were his call on a personal basis. He also acknowledges that there's no simple answer in the debate between pro-flying and anti-flying and that it's unlikely they will be totally removed (besides, unlocking flight after a new expansion's level grind provides both a feeling of accomplishment and a nice gold sink)
    OK yeah, I agree.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. By keeping more content coming faster, they avoid the number one criticism that's often levied against MMORPGs: a world that grows stagnant between raid content updates.
    Right, and I think the pressure that's put on Blizzard can be lessened by elongating certain aspects of gameplay.

I don't have to prove it, it's just common sense. If players have more to do, they have reason to maintain their subscription. A great example of this idea in action is during 4.3, when after several months subs dropped by the millions due to lack of content.
    You only need a subscriber feeling he really, really has to log in ONCE A MONTH.

Blizzard's ideal subscriber is some guy who logs in for 60 seconds every 30 days and for whatever reason is happy about it. Anyone who is on longer than that is costing the company money.

The people who are on 80 hours a week, they are NOT the ideal customers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    You only need a subscriber feeling he really, really has to log in ONCE A MONTH.

Blizzard's ideal subscriber is some guy who logs in for 60 seconds every 30 days and for whatever reason is happy about it. Anyone who is on longer than that is costing the company money.

The people who are on 80 hours a week, they are NOT the ideal customers.
    Actually.. due to the way the server rent works and how Maintenece shifts happen, a person who logs in for 60 seconds and a person who logs in 80 hours a week are basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Oooo. Fantastic.

(also keeps supporting my theory that Blizzard regret adding flying mounts :P)
    take them out now and let see how much they regret removing them when the game is dead with around 200k players

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Actually.. due to the way the server rent works and how Maintenece shifts happen, a person who logs in for 60 seconds and a person who logs in 80 hours a week are basically the same.
    Not true; Blizzard is on "on demand" infrastructure like everyone else these days, never mind things like network bandwidth.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    take them out now and let see how much they regret removing them when the game is dead with around 200k players
    GC is brilliant with many technical things but I feel like he has a butcher's touch when it comes to "the masses" who play the game.

Fortunately, GC isn't actually the person who decides whether mounts should fly.

I don't get the issue, really. Apparently people agree with the fact that exploring at least once is a good thing, yet aside from Cata ( and only later on TBC and WoTLK) you always needed to level on the ground at least once before you could fly, and now in MoP it is the same.

What really IS the problem? It is exactly the way people want it, and you still don't agree with it.

Are you honestly surprised that, based on the above, people come to other conclusions? Conclusions like the infamous "you just want to gank people".

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

It's kind of pointless to tell someone if they think flying damaged the game then they should stop flying.

You can no more appreciate restricting your own use of flying mounts than you can convince yourself you are with another real person while masturbating.
    For as long as someone refuses to acknowledge that certain restrictions are necessary to appreciate a thing it's pointless to talk about this issue with them. People who are poor are statistically more happy and satisfied with their life than the ultra rich. Issues like this are counter intuitive and easy to dismiss out loud as not being real because they are nuanced, and one can always ignore nuance to prove their own point.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I think people do not know what they want. They flip flop on whatever suits them at their time of need. Sure people change but Flying Mounts? I still get amazed at how beautiful Pandaria is. Compared to the other zones it's quite...envious. If Azeroth in terms of detail looked like Pandaria I guarentee everyone would be having nerdgasms. Flying Mounts do not hinder my experience. They actually optimize it.

Pandaria is an amazing place and I would want to protect it if it was my own home.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    But it is on the objective scale. The more time people spend in the world, the longer they will maintain their subscriptions; this translates to increased revenue for Blizzard, which in turn translates to more and better quality products.
    No it wouldn't, if flying were removed I would definitely quit, and if it never had existed i would not have lasted playing this game for so long...

Flying could make for compelling gameplay, but as it exists now it's merely a convenience that arguably has a negative net effect on gameplay.
    And convenience is just the point I love it for. I wouldn't mind for extra compelling gameplay, but I wouldn't want it to be that a mob could attack me in mid-air while I'm AFK. because that's my main reason for loving it really, the ability of going afk without having to worry about dying...
    (I am on an PVE server ofc if you hadn't guessed yet).

I have a family too and children sometimes require attention that cannot be planned, or I have to answer the doorbell or the phone. That's when I love it that I can mount up, take to the skies a bit and return safely when I have the time...

Kinda find the anti-fly hate funny, but being no flying on this quest hub is no surprise, the BC had the Sunwell area quest hub no flying, LK had the wintergrasp limited flying cata had Tol bard and front no flying, so I'm kinda surprised we didn't have a no fly daily's before this upcoming patch.

No flying mounts, no subscription. Game over.