Thread: No flying 5.2

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Why? Because I can enjoy the scenery? I enjoy the scenery better on a flying mount than a ground mount, I can get to places you can't see from a ground mount on a flying mount, like the north face of Kun Lai Summit, the back side of Ulduar, the top of Nordrassil.

For Rp reasons? I'm never going to wave to you when I pass you, none the less ask for grey poupon.

Because its too safe? I can run by enemies on a ground mount just as safely as flying over them, they eventually fall away and stop chasing or I am out of their ranged shots before they can fire.

Because you can't handle change and it makes you grumpy to see people enjoying something that you didn't have back in 'the good old days?" Well you got me there.
    You can enjoy the scenery from the ground. Whether or not you prefer the sights from the ground vs flying is subjective.
    Whether or not you like RP and WPvP are also subjective.
    A game whose business model is dependent on player time investment will be objectively better when people aren't zipping around completing tasks at the speed of light. Of course, I'm not arguing that the slowest possible means of travel is the best for the genre, only that the pace of things today is too quick, as evidenced by Blizzard struggling to create large amounts of content that will last a longer time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    Convenience is bad for the genre? Ok... You know how WoW became the powerhouse it is? Convenience.
    Too much convenience can be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    You can't reason with people like this, they think they know better than everyone else and that their way of playing is how everyone plays. They put up polls and while 90% of the people disagree with them they just spin the data to fit their world view, "Oh they just refuse to give up their flight mounts'.

The only thing that is assured is they will never voluntarily use only ground mounts themselves unless everyone is forced to do it.
    You're looking at things from a subjective standpoint. I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Just think of the people who play on a server where its 90% horde or 90% alliance...

the lesser faction would produce immense amounts of QQ
    Like ours ? :P

Luckily i won't be on this shit hole by the 19th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    If you do not like guns, move to England. It is that simple.
    Simply pack up and leave! Much think, such smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    So back to the original assertion: No, mists was not designed as a first step to get people back on the ground. Part of it was designed around people being restricted to ground. But for the rest it was designed for people on flying mounts.
    All zones have been designed so that players can play in them while not being able to fly, except for very few areas like Kunzen Village in Valley of the Four Winds. Spending most of your time doing dailies, flying around while doing so, does not mean that most of the game is about flying, since dailies are repetitive tasks. Except dailies, and those few areas, most of the content is designed to be grounded.

I don't know whether this is the first step or not. I phrased it wrongly. But, judging from what has been said by the developers on the subject, and the reversal of their policy on flying, I think, and hope, it is the first step. The people at Blizzard like to change things slowly when it comes to major design decisions. And this looks to me like such a process being underway. And I think it would be nice if in the next expansion there were a couple of zones to fly in, with giant floating islands to travel to while avoiding flying patroling enemies, climate conditions that can harm your mount, and taking advantage of currents and altitude, etc. While the rest of the game was on the ground.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-11 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    You might not have thought of them as that, but the fact is that they are. With the help of flying mounts you now are able to travel around the world without the risk of being attack by the opposing faction.
    See you guys are confusing one problem with another. No risk of being attacked by an opposing faction does not mean all flying mounts should be removed from the game, especially for non-pvp servers. Theres ways to solve this problem without touching flying mount access, theres already coding in the game where you can jump from one mount to another using a harpoon chain (Hodir quest chain with the wyrmride.).

By removing the flying mounts you are just throwing the baby out with the bath water. There are ways to solve this problem, far easier ways, than removing flight mounts for everyone.

MoP is not designed for ground mounts beyond questing to level 90. If it was there would be an accessable gate and path from the valley to every zone, but that would defeat the purpose and make it too convienant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I remember that from wintergrasp. Immortal warriors outhealing entire raids with second wind, immune to all cc thanks to diminishing returns, oneshotting everyone with aoes and cleaves. Good times indeed.
    Warlock with the old healing armor dotting everything, a single dot killing people.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Currently flying mounts are not allowed in the Thunder Isle

WPVP Yay! One of the best patches in MoP

It would be another Quel'Danas or Tol Barad
    And for those on a PvE server, it just means... more trash to kill to be able to do dailies. Woo hoo?

Usual worthless thread about flying... (we should see one about loot soon, then its about PvP gawking on a PvP realm)

If you don't like to fly don't fly.

If you're a man and don't like sex with men, don't have sex with men.

If you don't like killing babies, we'll you're not a woman and its not your business what they do with their bodies...

...etc...

TLDR: Stop FORCING you views on everyone else. Damn r____t.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    And for those on a PvE server, it just means... more trash to kill to be able to do dailies. Woo hoo?
    Hella more trash to kill... QD and TB are navigable at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Just think of the people who play on a server where its 90% horde or 90% alliance...

the lesser faction would produce immense amounts of QQ
    Like ours ? :P

Luckily i won't be on this shit hole by the 19th.
    It's far worse for PvE servers than it is for unbalanced PvP servers, because it has no purpose other than making it extremely inconvenient for PvE players for no valid reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    It's far worse for PvE servers than it is for unbalanced PvP servers, because it has no purpose other than making it extremely inconvenient for PvE players for no valid reason.
    The price you pay if you play on a PvP Server with no PvP Gear.

But as far as i know, i've read somewhere that you can choose 2 daily Hubs, one for world pvp and one for more pve oriented players.

Altough World PvP actually relies on a mass of people, it's not like that World PvP should be fair, you only succeed in World PvP if you are the greatest asshole.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2013-01-11 at 04:00 PM.
    Too often, we are mistaken for druidic types. perhaps that's true for some shaman, but do not let yourself be plagued by the ignorant belief that we are always peaceful.
    Nothing about what I do is harmonious. I command the elements to my will. There is nothing offered in return. I would have it no other way.

Never assume an ogre's stupid, that's when they'll get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Oh god yes.

Gonna gank Envy big time.
    Kill Celeb for me, please.

Bring it on! I can't wait to gank some hordies
    MMO-C Folding@Home Team:209552

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    I disagree. Mists was designed clearly as a first step to taking things on the ground once more.
    Oh yeah. The Jade Forest and the Order of the Cloud Serpent clearly reflect that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1
    You know when men aren't listening to you and they have erect penises whilst looking up to the sky thinking of multiple sex positions?

Pandaren Monk
    [QUOTE=Drithiend;19786601]All zones have been designed so that players can play in them while not being able to fly,[/quest]

Yes, to get through the questing and levelling process.

Spending most of your time doing dailies, flying around while doing so, does not mean that most of the game is about flying, since dailies are repetitive tasks. Except dailies, and those few areas, most of the content is designed to be grounded.
    Yes, most of the content is designed around being grounded. But most of the content is consumed in a very small portion of the time the average player spends playing. So even though you are technically correct on that point (which I never disputed in the first place) to all intents and purposes it does not prove that Mists was designed to keep people grounded. It was designed to keep us grounded for a certain period of time, after which point they would expect us to move on for the rest of the duration of the expansion and enjoy the game in a different way.

I don't know whether this is the first step or not. I phrased it wrongly. But, judging from what has been said by the developers on the subject, and the reversal of their policy on flying, I think, and hope, it is the first step. The people at Blizzard like to change things slowly when it comes to major design decisions. And this looks to me like such a process being underway. And I think it would be nice if in the next expansion there were a couple of zones to fly in, with giant floating islands to travel to while avoiding flying patroling enemies, climate conditions that can harm your mount, and taking advantage of currents and altitude, etc. While the rest of the game was on the ground.
    A lack of flying during the questing/levelling process works well because you travel over a set course once over the period of a month. As you finish up a quest chain it is a short trip to your next destination and so you move through the world. Who cares if you spend 20 minutes to travelling across one end of the Jade Forest to the other in between 100 quests spread over 5 hours of game time? With endgame content though, you travel significantly more.

If WoW could come out with a new expansion every 2 months (ie a continent full of quests like Pandaria) and did away with raiding and daily quests then I would probably agree with you.

But they can't. The repetitive content exists to keep the player base busy during the massive gaps between "real content" necessitated by the constraints of reality. If you think the complaints about this type of content is bad now, try removing flying mounts and see what happens.

Keeping people busy is their objective, but keeping us busy by spending 90% of our time just getting from place to place to do stuff that only takes 10% of our time would just be idiotic.

Note to self: Consider changing to PVE realm or ignoring new dailies
    I put the laughter in manslaughter
    Blood DK problems: to many ppl at daily place, cant pull 8packs *cries*
    BF3>CoD Cola>Pepsi PC>Mac Xbox>PS3

All zones have been designed so that players can play in them while not being able to fly, except for very few areas like Kunzen Village in Valley of the Four Winds. Spending most of your time doing dailies, flying around while doing so, does not mean that most of the game is about flying, since dailies are repetitive tasks. Except dailies, and those few areas, most of the content is designed to be grounded.

Incorrect. The questing experience from 85-90 is designed for ground mounts, the end game is designed for flying. If it was completely designed for ground mounts then there would be a southern, eastern and western (an open western gate) gate to get to the zones conveinantly without having to go way around through 2 other zones in order to get to them. The questing zones are built this way so you can experience the lore storyline sequentially instead of just flying to the dread wastes. Jade Forest -> 4 winds -> A. Karasang wilds, B. Misty steppes -> Boat tunnel -> Kun Lai -> Townlong -> Dread wastes, also known as level 85 zone -> 86 -> 87 ->88 ->89 ->flying! If they wanted you to ground mount everywhere then Skyrange would be accessable from the ground.

excellent move.
    very excited after reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post

How is it a PvE nerf?
    It's actually a PvE buff, as normally you always miss the ground (environment) while flying, but now it'll be guaranteed to hit!

Hurray, now it will be easier to engage in PvP with players who don't want to PvP!

Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    The price you pay if you play on a PvP Server with no PvP Gear.
    I play on a PvE server, and I don't want to deal with this no-flying bullshit that serves absolutely no purpose on my server.

You know, not everyone is on a PVP realm and just want to do their dailies as quick as possible. At least that would have been the case for me if I was still playing! :P Waiting for a future patch or x-pac to bring me back ^.^

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    I play on a PvE server, and I don't want to deal with this no-flying bullshit that serves absolutely no purpose on my server.
    I'm with you on that!

You know maybe make it no-flying on PVP servers, and flying on non-PVP servers? I'm sure they could work something like that out since that seems to be what PVPers want and non-PVPer's want.